Shave of the day W/C Saturday 2 July

Status
Not open for further replies.
Monday

Prep: Hot shower + Proraso on head
Brush: Custom by Bill, with Paua Abalone in base and Simpson knot
Razor: Wade and Butcher, for barbers only
Soap: MdC
AS: Ogallala Limes and Peppercorns (changed my mind when I was shaving)
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D
003800x738.jpg

RE: Monday

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower + Proraso on head
Brush: Custom by Bill, with Paua Abalone in base and Simpson knot
Razor: Wade and Butcher, for barbers only
Soap: MdC
AS: Ogallala Limes and Peppercorns (changed my mind when I was shaving)
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Very nice shot.:icon_cheesygrin:

Monday 07-04-11.

Soap from Aleppo 25% laurel - Rooney 1/3 silvertip - Merkur 37C Slant - Feather #2 - Pre Myrsol emulsión - TABAC shaving soap - Alum locke - Toner Thayers Original - ASB La Chinata - ASL Pinaud Clubman Vanilla.

Afeitado04-07-11-1.jpg

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
1970s Schick adjustable M type injector/Personna Stainless Steel (NOS)
TGQ Leatherneck SS
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
TGQ 'Leatherneck' extrait

Good day for this soap and EdP combo.....4th of July holiday and all. Heh, it doesn't hurt that this is my favorite scented shaving product of all the stuff I've used over the years. Performance is better than most other small vendor offerings and it's sad the stuff's extinct now.

BBS results,

Martin

Monday, 4 July

I just started wet-shaving with a DE about 2 months ago. Before that I would do a quick morning shave with canned goo and a Gillette Sensor Excel. Now I have changed to night shaving before I go to bed, as I like to take my time and it seems to relax me.
Here's my routine:

1. Wash face with a really nice goat's milk soap I get from Prince Edward Island and leave wet.
2. Fill sink with hot water - soaking my PC Woodcraft badger brush (a superb 24mm silvertip!) and shave mug and face cloth as it fills.
BocoteWood24mmSilvertipphotobucket.jpg

3. Lather up some La Toja sensitive skin cream and apply one coat, then put hot face cloth over lather for a minute or so, then wipe off and re-wet face.
4. Apply some Pacific Shave Oil then some more La Toja (I keep my mug with the brush sitting in the hot water - it keeps the lather nice and warm)
5. Do three passes. Used a Gillette 1930's NEW Berkshire Open Comb - fantastic razor!
Gillette1930sNEWBerkshire-photobucket.jpg

6. I then squeeze the remaining lather from the brush onto my hand to use for touch ups - mostly the neck and chin.
7. Rinse with cool water and apply some Proraso pre-post cream with aloe & green tea - LOVE the aroma!
8. Clean up the brush, razor, sink and counter while face is drying.
9. Splash on a wee bit of water and apply Neutrogena Razor Defense for the finishing touch.
!0. And, yes, achieved a BBS!

YIKES! When I see it all listed out like that, I think it seems somewhat obsessive, but, hey, it's also VERY therapeutic (or so I keep telling myself...) Anyhow it usually takes about 20-30 minutes, but man, does it ever feel GOOD!

Monday Night

Joseph Elliot Wedge - NF2213 - Mr Taylor cream - Alum - Old Spice Whitewater AS
2z4e90o.jpg

Nice shave, respectable for another 24 hours. Well clean shaven at least :D

Another hot day today, spent more time outside in the sun than I expected, lucky to have got away with it! Fresh 7OC in the Jagger - the first one on the first shave led to me flaying myself. Let's see what happens.

Hot shower
TOBS lemon and lime, face-lathered with
New Forest T2
Jagger DE89
Gillette 7OC Yellow (1)
KoS balm

Three passes. Started a couple of little blood spots on the second neck pass, and finished with half a dozen spots - not bleeding as such, just standing, barely enough to mark a tissue held to the throat. No soreness or redness other than that, and a close comfortable shave.

Bearing in mind that this is my gentlest razor, one with which I hardly ever showed blood with the Personnas, a new 7OC blade in, say, the Merkur, might be an interesting ride...

I have no real idea to what extent people expect to have the odd little skin break with a fresh blade. Thoughts?

2011-07-04.jpg

I don't have either the skills nor the time in the morning to take photos as pretty as the rest of your guys! :D

Anyway, this morning, it was my well worn Aristocrat armed with a Gillette Bleue, acompanied by some Mama Bears Lime Ice shaving soap whipped up by my Simpsons Keyhole 1 in my Steve Woodhead mug.

To finish it off, I splashed on some good ol' Old Spice after shave :D

Dr Rick said:
I have no real idea to what extent people expect to have the odd little skin break with a fresh blade. Thoughts?

Generally, the first shave with a new blade can be a bit of a rough ride. Some people even to as far as 'corking' new blades before using them to make things a little smoother.

Corking involves running the edge of a blade along a cork. I have never done it, I just use that little bit of extra care when I pop a new blade in the razor.

Also, the 7OC Yellows are considerably sharper than the Boots/Personna blades you are used to.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom