Shave of the day. W/C Saturday 19th Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mikael said:
Soap: McD
008800x583.jpg

So, is that saponified oil from the deep fryer, or saponified combined fats from a specific McD burger? :lol: :lol: :lol:

/Max

Thursday (already!?) My fourth shave with a DE razor:

Hot towl
Merkur 34c
Derby blade (fresh blade today)
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Cyril Salter Luxury Shaving Cream (Indian Sandalwood)
Proraso Shave Cut Healing Gel (barely used any).
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Geo F Trumper Coral Shaving Skin Food

Dare I say it but getting the hang of shaving with a DE razor. I think I prefer the cyril shaving cream, for me its nicer and i won't have anyone nick my coral skin food. (which reminds me to buy some of the other one's, lime and sandalwood).

I had just one little weeper which was dealt with swiftly with the proraso.

I put a fresh derby blade in the razor and I noticed, or felt I should say that this one cut a little different, I am going to finish this pack of derbys and see how my face reacts to a different blade. I do have a tough beard and I am going to try this fresh derby blade for four days this time instead of three to get a feel for how long a blade will last with my face.

For this week so far I have done just two passes going downwards on my face to get used to the razor, the style of shave and for my skin to adapt.

I think I might change the direction of the second pass tomorrow, I feel confident enough to move forward in my technique.

One happy chap :shave :D

MWF Hand Soap,
MWF SS/Musgo Real SC,
Simpsons Colonel,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Coral SF,
L'Occitan EdT.

SOTDFeb24th2011.jpg

A nice shave today gents.

Congrats rwoodcock01.........Now 2 happy chappies! :D

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Ever Ready butterscotch badger
1934 type Aristocrat/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
Michel Germain ' Sexual for Men' EdT

BBS results,

Martin

Haven't tried Coates for a spell as well as the 1958 Toggle. 2nd time I've run this out and since Christmas, I've changed to using a new routine. 3 pass: 1st at #7, 2nd #5 and finish pass #3. New Goodwill bowl of cobalt and gold from Portugal. This is the day for Peter's newest brush and one of the finest shaving creams I've tried to date. Liking the Iridiums more and more. Thank God for "The Stash". Enjoy the afernoon. Enough snow on the ground to make a messy drive to work so I best get moving. All the best. Robert

Attachments

• 23022011 SOTD.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 81
Robert Otten said:
Haven't tried Coates for a spell as well as the 1958 Toggle. 2nd time I've run this out and since Christmas, I've changed to using a new routine. 3 pass: 1st at #7, 2nd #5 and finish pass #3. New Goodwill bowl of cobalt and gold from Portugal. This is the day for Peter's newest brush and one of the finest shaving creams I've tried to date. Liking the Iridiums more and more. Thank God for "The Stash". Enjoy the afernoon. Enough snow on the ground to make a messy drive to work so I best get moving. All the best. Robert

Love the bowl. Looks classy!

Thursday Lunch Time - Odd time but wanted another go ;)

Same setup as yesterday
W/Sword DE razor with a 5 pack of blades
W/Sword Shaving soap (blue bowl pack)
W/Sword Shaving Brush
Styptic Pencil

Hot face wash, then spent a good few mins making the lather, A lot better than yesterday, hat to rewash the face as it had gone dry y this point.
Lathered up and did 2 passes both downwards.
Cheeks real smooth, chin and bove upper lip great, right hand side of my neck had a few blood spots and is very red but surprisingly the left hand side is fine (well a little sore but nothing like the right) so out came the pencil and used some more of the nivia balm I have - poss only one more application in the bottle left.

May give it a miss tomorrow to allow my neck a little recovery.

Until next time

Alan

Alan, I know we usually say stick to the same stuff but a further small investment should greatly improve your shave.

Replace those Indian Wilkinson blades with say some personna's from Boot's, Tesco et all and go buy a stick and cream of Palmolive while you are at it.

Mikael said:
Razor: Gotta 120
Another extremely smooth and sharp shaver, it was a very effortless shave and thanks to Neil's edge and the good quality of steel, this blade cut through like no stubble was in the way :D
Snap. I honed one of these recently and was very taken with it indeed, and then managed to buy my own from one of the gents here. They're clearly consistently excellent, not to mention good looking.

Arrowhead said:
Mikael said:
Razor: Gotta 120
Another extremely smooth and sharp shaver, it was a very effortless shave and thanks to Neil's edge and the good quality of steel, this blade cut through like no stubble was in the way :D
Snap. I honed one of these recently and was very taken with it indeed, and then managed to buy my own from one of the gents here. They're clearly consistently excellent, not to mention good looking.

Spot on, one of the best, I think. Neil was very happy with how the blade/edge felt on the finishing stone. The shave this morning sure confirmed his feelings, I´m happy to say :D

Thursday:

Superdrug twin blade Contour-clone
Gillette Slalom cartridge (no lube strip)
Palmolive stick
Muhle brush

5am start today so reverted to cartridge as no time for full-on DE shave. Have been experimenting with the Superdrug Contour-type handle with Slalom cartridges as an alternative to the Sensor for such occasions. It compares quite favourably with the Sensor. 2 quick passes on 'autopilot' resulted in an efficient if uninspiring shave this morning :| . Later start tomorrow and looking forward to getting back to the sweet DE...

Jos

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom