3 pass BBS :)

Ian

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage butterscotch Simpson badger
1934 type Aristocrat/Iridium
Surrey SS (pre VDH reformulation)
vintage Caron 'Yatagan' AS
Caron 'Yatagan' EdT

Last time using this razor for a while. Three very nice shaves and it's on to something else. This is one of the milder OC types that fits me pretty darn well.

BBS results,

Martin

Friday: (5th DE shaving this week)

Hot towl
Merkur 34c
Derby blade
Pure Badger Shaving Brush
Taylor of Old Bond St Shaving Cream (Avocado)
Witch Hazel (distilled from Boots chemist)
Proraso Cutting Edge Protective After Shave Cream
Taylor of Old Bond Street Cologne - No 74 Victorian Lime

Felt like a change today and went for a different scent, not sure about the avocado cream, it works great but the smell in not there for me.

I did a correct second pass today (not going downwards) with a little concern but I got a great shave. I used a little bit of pressure in my cheek area and a little stinging when putting on the paraso after shave cream on (fancied a change from the coral skin food) but not one nick this time! :D

I stopped at the 2nd pass as my face and still adapting so don't want to rush things and I missed a little area that needed a bit of J-hooking on my chin but I was a little groggy this morning and did not see it till this afternoon.

For the first time in however many years I have shaved all week and no irritation and no dryness in my skin.

Very impressed and happy to now keep shaving every day (except Sunday perhaps) and the wife will be pleased ;)

Friday

Edwin Jagger de87bl
Tiger blade
Palmolive stick + Erasmic cream
Muhle brush
Bulldog post shave balm

A welcome return to the DE after yesterday's rushed cartridge shave, and also a chance to try out my new arrival the Edwin Jagger for the first time. A lovely piece of craftsmanship - I've wanted to try one out for a while but was taking a break from my RAD for a couple of months.

After my first run this morning, I realised there will be a brief learning curve to get used to the balance and angle of the EJ. I did 3 passes, but found it hard to achieve the smoothness I'm accustomed to with my other razors. I particularly noticed some skipping on the ATG pass on my neck, and there's now a little soreness on one side of my neck :? . Will persevere...

Jos

Friday PM.

Musgo Real Glyce lime oil soap
Hot flannel
'63 Gillette slim adjustable
Crystal Platinum (2)
Kent BK2
TOBS sandalwood cream, bowl-lathered
Boots witch hazel
Nivea Sensitive A/S balm

3 passes: WTG, XTG, XTG/ATG hybrid, plus touch-ups

Set slim to 5 for WTG pass, forgot to dial-down for first XTG pass, then remembered, so dialed-down to 4 for second XTG pass, then to 2 for touch-ups.
Result: DFS. Setting 2 still isn't getting all the hairs from under my jawline with the touch-ups, but, if I go too aggressive, I get irritation. The part of my chin where I got two weepers last time did look a bit red again, but no bleeding this time.
I've decided to use-up the Crystals in my Merkur HD. They seem to suit it and I get three decent shaves from them; however, in the slim, they only seem to give 1 or 2 shaves before dragging and generally not gliding nicely. Have ditched this blade and replaced it with a Supermax Stainless from the pack that Max (FrenchBlade) included with the razor.

Thursday Evening

Got so bored of listening to the utter, utter bullshit on Question Time I thought it time for an enjoyable, honest shave:

Merkur Futur + Feather (2)
Semogue 1305
Cade ss
Cade splash

Have really fallen for the Semogue: simply a lovely brush to hold, use and admire. A lil' splash of Cade and I'm off to bed smelling like high-class joiner.

Friday

Well didnt have a shave today - thought I would let me neck rest a little - BUT spent a good half hour in the bath room sitting on the edge of the bath just "playing" with my brush and the W/Sword soap to try and get a good lather, thought better to use this to practice rather than use the better soaps I have on order.

Things are looking good, wife wasn't too impressed with having to wash all the lather of the bathroom tiles :shave

Friday AM

Bath
Goodfella Black Satin - now affectionately known as "Michelle"
Crystal IP (1)
T&H Super BB
Palmolive SS/Cream Mix
WTG, XTG ☛☚, XTG ☚☛ & ATG + touch ups.
Thayers Astringent with Aloe
Trumpers Sandalwood Skin Food - part of their sample pack.
No splash as I'm not going anywhere today and I love the smell of the Trumpers. Might just have to get me a big bottle of this.

Thought I was getting better and better at this shaving lark but for some reason or other, the one thing I have been doing for years, I didn't quite get my lather right, too thin, so didn't get the glide that I normally get with the Palmolive Mix - a mix I have been using for a number of years. Went ahead with the shave anyway and must say that I surprised myself. What a smooth shave. Absolutely no irritation whatsoever. Think I'm getting to grips with Michelle, no nicks for the first time since she turned up at my door.

So would like to thank the guys/gals on this forum for all the info that has helped me attain my first DFS since I came back to DE shaving. Really enjoyed todays shave :cool:

Friday
La Toja manantiales SS/Semogue SOC finest badger brush/Merkur 33C with Wilkinson/Floid suave lotion/Kielhs Balsam
P1160420.jpg

Friday, 02-25-11.

Soap from Aleppo 100% olive - Rooney 1/3 Silvertip - Merkur 25C - Israeli Personna #1 - Pre PREP - Col Conk Almond shaving soap - Alumbre - Toner Thayers Original - ASL Honeybee Gardens Bay Rum + ASL handmade Garrapatero's Bay Rum.

Afeitado25-02-11-2-1.jpg

The col conk is a champ when lathering.

MWF Hand Soap,
Tabac SS Stick,
Simpson Special in Best,
Dovo 5/8,
Razorock Alum,
GFT Limes SF,
L'Occitan Edt.

In a hurry today! Not a great shave. :(

Tomorrows the weekend... :D

Friday Night:

Tonight saw the usual ample application of cold water rinses between passes, as well as the return of the face-dunking in a sink-full of cold, clear, fresh water - much more of that in the near and foreseeable future!

• hmmm, might need to make up some ice cubes[/list:u][/list:u][/list:u][/list:u]
          • * Merkur 40C Barrel-Handled
            • o aka The Big Blue Butt-Plug[/list:u]
              * Gillette (Malaysia) Super Nacet Platinum
              * Vie Long 13723
              • o or as I usually call it: Old Scout[/list:u]
                * Wildfields East Cape Manuka Oil hard shave soap
                • o second go; still working on water to product ratios[/list:u]
                  * Humphreys Cucumber Melon Witch Hazel
                  * Edouard Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla ASL
                  • o a slightly long-ish name, but a great splash[/list:u][/list:u]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom