Personna, Red pack
Semogue 830
D R Harris Almond soap
D R Harris Pink aftershave
Knize Ten toilet water

Right Tuesday, let's 'ave it!

This morning:

Bulldog face wash
Feather Artist Club RG, ProGuard blade (2)
Trumper's Rose cream
New Forest High Mountain Badger.
Trumper's Coral skin food
Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet cologne.

A really good shave. Two passes left me feeling really clean, but I did the third because I'd planned to and at 7 am with a blade in hand thinking is dangerous.

Very close and comfortable :).

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep;

vintage Marshall Fields badger
PAL adjustable injector/Personna74
TGQ Leatherneck SS
SebaMed AS Balsam
Paloma Picasso 'Minotaure' EdT

First time ever using this type of injector, on loan from the R. Otten arsenal of fine shaving items. He was nice enough to load this thing with a vintage Personna74 blade, which was a rare treat. Man, I gotta say this injector did a great job.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, soapstone handle extra stuffed silvertip'
Razor: Max Sprecher 7/8 wedgy monster pointy blade :D
Soap: Nanny French Lavender
AS: Ogallala Lime and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Ubercelan :D

*singing: "this is halloween ... this is halloween" in my best Tim Burton spirit voice*

W O W Max custom razor really blew me away! I'm a vintage guy, I swear by my vintage razors and think there can be good modern razors, but that they'll never be as good as a really good vintage blade. The grind masters from the past used to grind so many more razors than anyone today and I allways thought that a blade from a good day and from such a grind master, never good be beat by a contempory razor.

I was wrong though, Max custom razor was, for me, as good as several of my top blades. Excellent edge aswell, thank you Max! Two days stubbles ran away like scared little children and after one pass I was clean enough for an average shave, but I did 1 ½ ultra light passes more and was rewarded with an uberclean face :D
012800x575.jpg

... and some:
013800x613.jpg

Mikael said:
Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Neep, soapstone handle extra stuffed silvertip'
Razor: Max Sprecher 7/8 wedgy monster pointy blade :D
Soap: Nanny French Lavender
AS: Ogallala Lime and Peppercorns
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Ubercelan :D

*singing: "this is halloween ... this is halloween" in my best Tim Burton spirit voice*

W O W Max custom razor really blew me away! I'm a vintage guy, I swear by my vintage razors and think there can be good modern razors, but that they'll never be as good as a really good vintage blade. The grind masters from the past used to grind so many more razors than anyone today and I allways thought that a blade from a good day and from such a grind master, never good be beat by a contempory razor.

I was wrong though, Max custom razor was, for me, as good as several of my top blades. Excellent edge aswell, thank you Max! Two days stubbles ran away like scared little children and after one pass I was clean enough for an average shave, but I did 1 ½ ultra light passes more and was rewarded with an uberclean face :D

That straight razor is a truly lovely thing.

Ian

Yeah Mikael welcome to the future, I have always been a custom knife collector, and always held the thought that if some of the custom knife makers actually turned their attentions to making straight razors they would blow the vintage razor away, it's like trying to imagine a Model T Ford taking on a Porsche 911, No one will convince me otherwise the materials the engineering and machining they possess today would make it a no brainer, vintage razors are nice but the high end custom one are on another planet. I think Max uses 01 double tempered steel if i'm not mistaken as you know yourself Robert AKA Bladerunner always speaks so highly of the razors Max produces, completely different proposition when it comes to sharpening though. Looks amazing Mikael, trouble now is comparision will be made by you when you use the vintage. PS if I had a Filarmonica or a highly collectable Wade & Butcher I would swap you in a blink of a eye for that razor.

Regards Jamie

Tuesday

white proraso pre/post
Semogue LE 09 Boar
Martin de Candre
Muhle R41 (2009) + Shark SC (2)
Thayers superhazel
Proraso ASB

result: 3passes, very smooth and comfortable.

Cheers Jamie and Ian!

Jamie: I'm not still convinced though, that all custom makers and custom razor're this good! Yeah, well, re trading for a nice W&B - I had to sell a large Fili and a restored prestine 18th century razor to get this razor and I was still a little short (the Fili being the cheap blade of the two) ...

Mikael said:
Cheers Jamie and Ian!

Jamie: I'm not still convinced though, that all custom makers and custom razor're this good! Yeah, well, re trading for a nice W&B - I had to sell a large Fili and a restored prestine 18th century razor to get this razor and I was still a little short (the Fili being the cheap blade of the two) ...

Even though Mikael I still think that razor wll become the Bentley of your collection. Great razor, love everthing about it. I bet you could make a profit on that razor as soon as you took delivery of it, quality will always hold it's value regardless of the market forces for everday items.

Regards Jamie.

Razor:Frederick Reynolds 6/8
Strop:Ambrose Spanish Horse (20/60)
Preshave: Proraso pre
Brush:Simpsons KH3 Best Badger
lather:Mama Bear's sample
AS: Alun Tadé
EdT:Fragonard Cologne Grand Luxe
Picture:
PB010288.jpg

Tuesday:

Merkur Slant 37c
Iridium
Neep Box wood silvertip
Palmolive cream

The Slant reminded me yesterday why it is one of my favourite razors. Despite its reputation, I find that the Slant never feels aggressive, or like it could 'bite' if I'm not ultra-careful.

A hasty early morning shave was required today, and in one and a half passes the job was done. No drama, no fuss, just a smooth face. Quality :icon_biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom