Shave of the day W/C Oct 29/10/2011

Ever Ready Streamline
TOBS Mr Taylors shaving cream
Neep Silvertip Brush
TOBS Luxuy Aftershave Gel

The Streamline has been my 'holy grail' for some time, so I was very eager to start using it. OMG what an aggressive razor! I thought the Ever Ready 1914 was aggressive, but this takes it up another notch.

Two passes gave me a DFS but left my skin feeling very tender. No irritation, but I knew it a 3rd pass would be a bad idea.

The Streamline is such a great razor to admire, with the exceptional machining and plating. I think I'll work on my technique and reckon, with practice, it will give equally exceptional results.

TOBS AS Gel is also great stuff. Much better than skin food IMO.

Blitz 14, Truefitt&Hill Wellington superbadger, Klar kabinett&Cyril R. Salter Wild rose, Brut Alaska

PA300270.jpg

Sunday

6/8 Bengall Finest Hollow Ground, Nanny's French Lavender hard soap, Kent BK4
Simple for Men AS Balm, Jeris Musk AS Cologne

2nd shave with my latest restoration job, which I finished on Friday:

IMAG0172.jpg

dodgy said:
Johnus said:
It's cold; it's snowing; there's warnings of Black ice!!
And I just shaved with one of the Dumbest razors ever made. (being dumb enough to buy it , and then use it again today, I really shouldn't complain!)
STAHLY LIVE BLADE, yes it still vibrates, and I still know no reason WHY it should! (Did this razor come with another attachment that I don't know about?)

Hi there,

Let me suggest something that might make the Stahly more fun to use. I'd suggest trying the head with another handle and seeing how that works out. Heh, shaving with the original handle's kinda like holding a small vibrating flashlight in my hand.

The head though......now that's a magical thing. Reminds me of a Tech on steroids...in a very good way. Quite mild, so it matches up well with a very sharp blade. Darn thing even tames a Feather, making the shave both smooth and comfortable.

I use a frankenrazor in my rotation that's made up of a Stahly head and Tech handle, and it's a great combo for me. You might like to give that a try sometime, or maybe even use a heavier handle if you feel like it.

Martin

Yes, I've seen that mentioned in some of the other 'shave of the day's. It'll be something that I'll try. I have both a tech and a star DE handle that it probably fit on.
The vibrating razor concept was an interesting thought. But this one was a little before it's time seeing how massive the mechanisms needed to be.

Sunday Night

Semogue Owners Club Badger
Joseph Elliot Silver Ring + Futur
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black (4)
Tabac Shaving Soap
Speick Aftershave
RazoRock Aftershave Wax

It was my first shave using a straight razor tonight.I bought a kropp razor,a leather strop and a Ardennes coticule months ago and never got round to using them, then a couple of weeks ago i picked up the silver ring at a car boot for £4 to practice honing on.
I have had a few goes honing it and it was never passing the hht until today.I spent about 15 minutes just adding a drop of water at a time and it was finally popping hairs.:icon_razz:
I managed to get a couple of areas smooth but i have got some practicing to do to get a decent shave.The futur dealt with the rest.

Mark

Hot Towel Prep
Crabtree and Evelyn Sienna Shaving Cream
Unbranded Badger Brush
Merkur 38B
Personna Red (1)
Floid Blue

3 passes and touch ups in the usual awkward spots ( I have a dimple on my chin and a scar from my childhood right across it)

Very, very smooth. First use of the Sienna, first thought in my head is that it reminds me of the scent of shampoo/body wash from the mini bottles you get in decent hotels - though thinking about it, I guess it's highly possible C&E make those for hotels, so maybe I have come across that scent before.

Sunday evening shave:

Music: Yes - Going For The One
Prep: hot shower, minute of hot facecloth on the whiskers
Edwin Jagger de89 Barley, loaded with a Timor (2)
Nanny's Silly Lime
New Forest brush, now blooming nicely

two passes, more due to tiredness than anything else. Still a good enough shave.
Finished off with the alum block, several warm rinses then some Floid Vigoroso and finally a rub of Proraso.

Nice.[/u]

Monday:
Gillette Fusion ProGlide
Semogue 830
Palmolive stick
Puig Quorum EDT

Didn't plan to use the ProGlide. Just forgot to put a new blade in my Progress yesterday and couldn't be arsed with faffing about this morning.

No dramas though, the World kept turning and my face didn't burst into flames or anything.

NF badger
DR Harris Arlington cream
#21 Aristocrat
Feather blade

Quick two pass shave because I'm pushed for time, still pretty good though.

L'Occitane Verbena soap
Razor Feather AC-SS
Blade Feather Light
Simpsons Chubby 2
Mitchells Woolfat
Alum + Propolis
L'Occitane Bavx Balm
Coty Raw Vanilla Eau de cologne

Jamie

A super BBS shave after two days growth, i'm off to post a few razors I honed for a member on TSR this morning, missed out on a couple of razors on the Bay, nothing special though, as I always say there will be another 20 on the Bay next week, I am rarely dissapointed losing a auction, anyway my excitement builds waiting on a brush I designed and sent off to Bill of 'Le Tuft' brushes to make using his magical Wizardry.

003-3.jpg

Monday:

Pre: real shaving co scrub
Razor: the super cheap Lord Tech knockoff, ( see cannaught for details)
Blade: 7'oclock yellow (1)
Soap: MWF
Post: OL bay rum, Nivea moisturiser, dash of OL bay rum cologne.

I was dubious about trying this tech clone as it has neither posts nor slot to guide the blade in the head. This means that the blade has to be laid perfectly in the head assembly to give uniform edge exposure. However it seems to work rather well. A gnats wing more aggressive than the more aggressive tech heads , the posting thread is standard size but sadly too long to give a decent bite when used with an ikon bulldog handle Meaning the base plate and head arent clamped together securely. It might be worth digging through my tool box to see if I have a washer thick enough to remedy this.

Although lacking in heft it worked admirably, nice mellow razor well suited to a Monday morning shave. Bit of a bargain for under a fiver. I'll be suprised if one of the supermarkets doesn't pick up on these razors.

Back
Top Bottom