Saturday 5th December to Friday 11th December 2020.

09/12/20
Pre: Shower
Brush:Vintage Butterscotch Culmak Plus 1950
Soap: Vintage Cussons 1950's
Razor: Kampfe Star HR-14A - Jayaruh Box #23
Blade: GEM PTFE S/S (3)
Post shave: Cold water rinse, TC's Infused Witch Hazel
Balm: Barts Balm Lime Balm & Lotion
Aftershave: Mäurer & Wirtz 4711 EDC
Wk 50 (5) Wed.JPG
Simply wonderful.
I had a lovely shave today with the lather catcher which left me smiling from ear to ear. The blade needs a little bit prep before using by taking off the sharp corners as they can scratch if the blade is not exactly centred. A quick rub on some emery tape does the job for me ;).
Stay safe and enjoy your day all.

Pre - Shower / Face wash
Soap - Tabac
Brush - Razorock Bruce
Razor - Merkur 34G
Blade - Gillette wilkinson (5)
Post - Saponificio Varesino Cubebe AS followed with Moisturiser

A brisk two and half pass shave this morning. We had someone coming round for the ONS/Cambridge Uni COVID study this morning. A few rough patches to the touch a good few hours later. More than usual possibly. Love the smell of the Cubebe AS, however, the top is a pain. They say to shake well before use, then you get a lot in the top cap, so use more than you'd really need to.

IMG_8277.jpg

Sotd-09-12-20.jpg

prep - facial scrub
razor - Karve Alu - D plate
blade - Med Prep (1)
brush - Kent BK4
soap - PAA Cad - vegan
post - witch hazel
a/s - 4711
balm - Floid
scent - none.

Nice - very good. I was up at six to study - as has become my habit recently - I tell you, it is a full time job being unemployed - or rather - trying not to be - the morning was finished off with a fairly intense one and a half hour assessment - so by one o'clock - I had a head like a burst beach ball. A nice relaxing and restorative shave was in order - this one ticked all the boxes. After the stress of using the Yaqi slant - nice to go back to the Karve - the polar opposite in razor terms. I like aluminium razors - they are nimble and deft to use - compared to stainless steel or brass - just toss them around your face with gay abandon - but they still do the job - I have a couple of ATT alu versions and they are among my favourites. So - admission is the first step on the road to recovery - I need to tell you one and all - I'm addicted to 4711 aftershave. I know though, that with the help of the group - and taking it one shave at a time - I can use other splashes in the future. Take care - one and all - enjoy shaving - I.

Wednesday AM 2020-12-09
National Pastry Day
4HdR3sZ.jpg

Rooney Stubby 1 Porcelain Finest (22/45)
Brooks Brothers shaving soap (vintage)
Yates Precision 921-M/Carbon R2 Copper
Schick Plus Platinum (11)
Ginger's Garden White Ginger Blossom aftershave

With first use of the Yates, I was not disappointed. Although it seemed to have a lot of friction on my skin, it paradoxically was quite smooth (perhaps due partially to use of Ethos Grooming First Lather), and I got an easy BBS shave. The angle was different than usual, with the handle relatively close to my face. The ginger flower aftershave reminded me of arriving in Hawaii at age 21 for a 'romantic' summer, during which I worked at the uninspiring job of nailing together particle board furniture for pre-fab housing, the only Caucasian in a warehouse of Filipinos who just spoke pidgin English. But I learned the lingo, made some friends, and was even invited to one of their cock fights. But that's another story...
HMeXN5W.jpg

Last edited:
So, in a moment of madness I promised to drag my old Ming Shi Futur clone out of the Drawer of Doom...

I know. I should go and put my big boy pants on and man up.

In fact, my next shave will be with it, set to Bacon Slicer.

I should explain that this thing bit me badly back in the day, and was only set to "Wafer Thin Ham" (#3), so into the drawer it went. never to see daylight until today...

Loaded with a fresh 7 o'clock Permasharp and set to Bacon Slicer it was...
20201209_134626.jpg

20201209_134906.jpg

To say I was a bit apprehensive is an understatement...

But I paired it with one of my feelgood soaps, SV Cubebe, and my favourite brush, the Cadman Carbon Tuxedo:

20201209_134548.jpg

So:
Ming Shi 2000s
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp
Saponifico Varesino Cubebe
Cadman Carbon Tuxedo
Nivea 2 Phase ASL
Barts Balms Unscented
Czech and Speake "88"

And off I went, tentatively.

I needed not have worried. A couple of years of acquired knowledge from here has obviously penetrated my thick skull and sunk in. Plus a bit of practice meant that 3 passes led to a DFS, and hardly a murmur from the ASL.

Finished off with some Barts unscented balm and a spritz of Czech and Speake 88 left me feeling smooooooth and smelling great.

@saj1985 you should use your Q-Shave on 6 for your bonce, it'll be fine, promise
tenor.gif

So, in a moment of madness I promised to drag my old Ming Shi Futur clone out of the Drawer of Doom...

I should explain that this thing bit me badly back in the day, and was only set to "Wafer Thin Ham" (#3), so into the drawer it went. never to see daylight until today...

Loaded with a fresh 7 o'clock Permasharp and set to Bacon Slicer it was...
View attachment 61923

View attachment 61922

To say I was a bit apprehensive is an understatement...

But I paired it with one of my feelgood soaps, SV Cubebe, and my favourite brush, the Cadman Carbon Tuxedo:

View attachment 61924

So:
Ming Shi 2000s
Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp
Saponifico Varesino Cubebe
Cadman Carbon Tuxedo
Nivea 2 Phase ASL
Barts Balms Unscented
Czech and Speake "88"

And off I went, tentatively.

I needed not have worried. A couple of years of acquired knowledge from here has obviously penetrated my thick skull and sunk in. Plus a bit of practice meant that 3 passes led to a DFS, and hardly a murmur from the ASL.

Finished off with some Barts unscented balm and a spritz of Czech and Speake 88 left me feeling smooooooth and smelling great.

@saj1985 you should use your Q-Shave on 6 for your bonce, it'll be fine, promise
View attachment 61931
That gif at the end cracked me up mate lol

When did you last use that Ming shi razor?

Tbh I was close to getting that on eBay before I saw the qshave on Amazon

That gif at the end cracked me up mate lol

When did you last use that Ming shi razor?

Tbh I was close to getting that on eBay before I saw the qshave on Amazon

Couple of years ago, it's unbalanced and the handle is slippy, but I remembered that and compensated for it.

Can't say it's ever going to be a favourite, but I'll put it into rotation and see if I warm to it.

The Ming Shi and Q-Shave Futurs are almost certainly the same razor in differently branded boxes.

Couple of years ago, it's unbalanced and the handle is slippy, but I remembered that and compensated for it.

Can't say it's ever going to be a favourite, but I'll put it into rotation and see if I warm to it.

The Ming Shi and Q-Shave Futurs are almost certainly the same razor in differently branded boxes.
Yea I agree about it being the same too, virtually identical

Yea the handle is slippery got to be careful with wet hands

So you said a few years yea, how long have these clones been out do you know?

Good evening everyone.

Soap- TOBS Rose
Razor- Rockwell 6S (R5) (R2)
Blade- Nacet #1
Brush- Dcosmetics 2 Band Silvertip
Post- Boots Aftershave Balm

Well I've been shaving with the Fatboy and Nacet combination for the last 5 weeks or so, so went back to the 6S this evening. Fresh blade and four days growth and I'm very pleased with the result. An effortless shave to be honest and I'm very impressed with this AS Balm from Boots.

Stay safe gentlemen, and ladies if there's any reading my ramblings.

Back
Top Bottom