S.O.T.D Saturday 2nd March to Friday 8th March 2013

Early this morning:

-Proraso preshave
-Kropp 11/16"
-Semogue 2000
-Dr. Harris Marlborough soap
-Dr. Harris Marlborough ASL & Cologne

SOTD-6-03-2013-small.JPG

Fourth shave with the Clog-Pruf and best yet. Three passes W,X and ATG and now feel pretty smooth. Still feel a bit more scraped than if I'd used a DE but heading in the right direction!

Proraso pre
Speick soap / Kent BK2
Gem clog-pruf / coated SE blade (4th shave)
Marlborough as
Boots no. 7 balm

Even got a decent finish on the top lip!

Greetings

Wednesday 6th March 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop (British)
Blade: Feather SE
Brush: Vulfix 404 Mixed
Cream: T.O.B.S. Mr Taylor's
Aftershave: Simple Balm

A moderate shave only, comfortable but not close, three shaves is for me, one too many for the Feather SE blades, one reason I do not use the Valet razors more often.

To quote the old saying; "this blade is so dull you could ride bare arsed to London on it!"

Regards
Dick.

Wednesday:

LEA Stick
Semogue SOC Boar
#15 Aristocrat
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Pinaud Clubman
Nivea Cool Kick AS Balm

Running late this morning because my bed was just too damn comfortable, so just a quick 2 pass shave WTG and ATG. Nice enough for work.

Tim B said:
John said:
Sir_eider said:
2ikqnnm.jpg

Pre hot towel + De Verguldehand shaving cream + Artisan TGN Finest 26 mm. brush + Gillette Contour with Soltech Feather #2 + Thayers Medicated + Mennen Grand Large with La Chinata balm

Second use of this Feather cartridge, this time I have found it a bit irritating with some nicks, don't know why... Anyway I got a close shave so I'll continue testing it.

Cheers!
Don't tell the lads I typed this :s but I used to have one of those back in the day,(minus the feather blades) hard to believe they are getting on for....dare I say this almost vintage, and with the original plastic tray, ding dong:s

I used to have a Contour razor as well. Lidl used to sell a cartridge razor made of black metal like the Contour.

I was thinking about that Contour, I got it from Boots at Bexlyheath in the late 1990s, first job Y.T.S £25 week.

Tuesday 4 March

Prep: Hot shower, Nivea Q10 Facial Wash
Pre: Cold Water and Proraso White
Brush: Grosvenor 404 Mixed
Soap: Viking
Razor: British Made Ever Ready
Post: Sal Alum, Thayers Withch Hazel ASL, L'Oreal After Shave Balm
Fragrance: L'Occitane Verdon Splash

First scrape with the newly acquired British Ever Ready. Not sure whether it was down to the razor or to any amendment to my SE technique but much smoother shave this morning.

Three significant anniversaries to mention today:

Independence Day in Ghana
Oreo Cookie is 101 years old
Happy birthday to John Noakes (79 today)

It is also European Day of the Righteous, about which I offer no further comment

All the best,

Jon

Re: RE: S.O.T.D Saturday 2nd March to Friday 8th March 2013

Norfolkdick said:
To quote the old saying; "this blade is so dull you could ride bare arsed to London on it!"

Regards
Dick.
Not heard that expression before but I hope to use it in my personal and professional life

Weber DLC / Rapira
Muhle Silvertip Fibre 21mm Horn
Proraso Red Sandalwood cream (New Formula)
Witch Hazel
Tom Ford Noir de Noir

Morning shave for me, most enjoyable.

Wednesday 6th

Prep : Clinique face soap
Razor : Fatip Piccolo
Blade : Tesco DE
Cream : Proraso Red
Brush : C&E Super badger
AS : Proraso splash

Bought the Tesco blades at the weekend as I forgot to take some blades away with me and even though my mate offered me one of his I was too tempted to try them. This was me 2nd sahve with the blade and I've decided not to risk a third. Not a bad shave but not close enough and uncomfortable shaving with it although no irritation afterwards just a bit draggy.

Wednesday 6th

Prep : Shower and jack black face wash
Razor : Mergress set on 3
Blade : Astra green 3rd use
Cream : Supermax ultimate (pound land)
Brush : Kent
AS : Prof blighty's harlequin

First use of the Supermax cream and quite a good cream easy to whip up into a good stable slick lather. With a nice hint of aloe Vera to it.
Nice easy two pass shave presentable enough to go to work later, which is surprising as I didn't finish afternoon shift yesterday til 2am

Prep: Shower
Scuttle: Schwarzweisskeramik basic
Brush: Thater 4125/00 2 band Fan
Soap: Nanny's Silly Soap Company soft "Coriander"
Razor: CV Heljestrand Frameback
Astringent: Osma Alum
Balm: Woods of Windsor Aftershave Balm
Eau de Toilette: Penhaligons Castile

SOTD13_zps2098f41f.jpg

Notes: Not a bad shave. Perhaps my expectations were too high given this razor's reputation. In honing I didn't want to push it as far as I pushed the Hellberg - perhaps I should have. A bit of sting but BBS nonetheless.

Surprised by the soap - for some reason I thought it would smell like a curry (the sample packaging perhaps) but I found I rather liked it.

fcu0bl.jpg

Pre hot towel + Jabonman Marsella + Omega 31052/81052 + Gillette Contour with Feather #3 + Brummel splash with La Chinata balm

This time the shave was much better than yesterday, using a high quality soap makes a big difference when the blade is agressive for sure!

No irritation for a close shave!

Cheers!

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage rebranded Simpsons best
1958 Executive/Feather
XPEC SC (thanks Carl)
Boots AS Balm
Miller Harris 'feuilles de tabac' EdT

Second time using this shaving cream and man........the product is really a good performer. Very easy to make into a great looking lather that has plenty of slip and the right amount of cushion. This stuff actually reminds me more of a soap.......that's how well it works.

Heh, scentwise, I still just don't know if it's for me. There's another shave's worth of cream left to try, so we will see where I end up. It's a big relief to finally get this particular simian off my back, thanks to Carl.

BBS results,

Martin

PicsArt_1362572517182_zps61627d5a.jpg

The De Vergulde is a good performer and very cheap in the Netherlands. The smell has been described as old school cologne and I can smell that but I am also reminded of cleaning products. Not in an overpowering way... it's tricky to describe. For now I would describe it as OK. The performance is good - easy, slick lather. I couldn't help but try the discontinued Sir Irisch Moos stuck for the third and fourth passes. While it doesn't glide quite like the glycerin DV it produces a lively thick lather and does, as I have read, remind me of Tabac, although fortunately not in the scent.
BBS with a bit of sting from the very nice Mr. Sidney from TOBS via our own living leg end Gairdner.

Prep: Proraso white
Cream: Dr Harris - Windsor
Razor: Weber DLC/ UFO Red Bronze Goliath XL w/Polisilver

Lovely lovely shave BBS no irritation and smelling good.

Back
Top Bottom