S.O.T.D. Saturday 16th March to Friday 22nd March 2013

a9l5wg.jpg

Pre hot towel + Jabonman Lavanda-Ciprés-Bergamota + Vulfix 2234 Super + Weber Bulldog Merkur with Astra #4 + Ach Brito Lavanda cologne with La Chinata balm

An excellent shave today, gentlemen!

Cheers!

Wednesday 20th

sotd20313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nanny's Warm spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpsons 59 best badger brush
Merkur Progress short handle set at 2.5
Lord super chrome (2)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Boot's Freshwood aftershave

Comfortable shave, the Lord blade is super smooth it gets the job done with no irritation, nicks or weepers which I find sometimes happens with super sharp blades.
FrankieG glad you're enjoying the Voskhods, a good Russian blade :icon_smile:

Brian

Wednesday

Normal routine for me today, just going for a normal morning shave using the normal kit. Starting to get to like this TOBS Grapefruit now, it certainly lathers well and the scent is growing on me.

Prep: Hot Shower
Brush: New Forest Tubby 2
Cream: TOBS Grapefruit
Razor 1: 7 o'clock New with UFO 2 handle
Blade 1: Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge (Too many shaves obviously)
Razor 2: Gillette New with iKon Bulldog
Blade 2: Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge (New)
Balm: Barbershop Bay Rum

I created an excellent lather as normal with this cream and brush combination and proceeded to have a shave. After the first pass it became obvious that I should have changed the blade before I started as it was feeling a bit dull. The next razor was ready and waiting in the bathroom cabinet with a new blade so I switched to that for the next two passes.

I don't know why, but for some reason this was one of the most comfortable and smoothest shaves I have ever experienced. If I could get this good every day I would be very happy indeed :) :) :)
I have noticed before that after straight shaving my return to a DE does produce wonderful results. Last week I was shaving with a Feather Artist Club so that could be it.

IMG_0680_zps8d772be0.jpg

Hot shower
Proraso pre, white
New Forest 1901, Nanny's hard soap - Cedarwood and Vetyver
Weber polished, Rapira SS (1)
Cold Splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave healer

Just one down point... I thought it would be a good idea to have a slash at my neck while I had a sharp blade in my hand. The styptic pencil, which had been dutifully sitting at the side of the basin for shave after shave (rather like a good luck talisman) suddenly saw much use. Those styptic pencils really work, by God!

Otherwise a very fine outing from an unimpeachable collection of hardware and software

Prep: Hot shower
Brush: Simpson the Hive
Razor: Taylor's 1000
Soap: Nannys
AS: Palmolive
Strops: Neil Miller
Result: Very, very clean :D

Nice and clean shave :D
0181024x641_zps0b7ef822.jpg

Today's Shave

1960s FatBoy set on No7
Feather Blade
TI silvertip
NSS Cederwood & Vermont, face lathered
Old Spice Classic Cologne

Result BSS WTG

Lovely vintage shave, the re knotted brush works a treat well worth doing :)

ChopperHarris said:
Wednesday 20th March

• Trumper's Lime Skin Food
  • Speick Soap / Kent BK2 Brush
  • Gem Clog-Pruf / Coated Gem Blade (6th use)
  • DR Harris Marlborough AS
  • Boots no. 7 balm

Sadly a shave too far with the blade. 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG that's left a couple of weepers and a slightly raw feeling! Fortunately I'm not on customer site tomorrow so I can skip a shave to allow a little repair time.

Just when I think I've cracked SE shaving, I come a cropper. I think next time I will strop the blade first as they definitely smooth off with use but I don't enjoy having two rough shaves before I can get a decent one.
Greetings Chopper

I think five shaves from a GEM coated blade is quite good and IMHO about average, it is at least what I get and I class my beard as average/medium.

If you do try stropping, I would suggest just palm stropping, my couple of attempts at stropping on jeans has failed. I have no evidence to support my theory but I feel the jeans are just too rough/abrasive and probably remove or at least damage the PTFE coating. Three or four stops either side on the palm seems to do no harm and might do some good.

What we really need is an experienced straight razor user and honer like UK Rob (who is also a fan of SE's) to conduct some experiments for the team with a decent strop, carbon and coated blades and with and without stropping rouge/paste!!

Regards
Dick.

Wednesday 03-20-13. MUSIC: Johnny Cash - Ring of Fire: The Best of Johnny Cash (1963).

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f0bRie17oc8[/video]

cd2dc015-53cb-4171-a79f-e5de24894a40.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 2 best badger - Feather all stainless - Astra green #4 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Palmolive - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Proraso - ASL Mennen Green Tonic.

EJ 89L
RSC shave brush - cheapo starting type
Gillette 7 oclock yellow
MWF for the first time!
Clubman Vanilla for the first time

Liking the MWF - had so much lather didnt know what to do after following mantics vid, clubman nice also but not lasted as long as Id expected but good shave and smells also

Pleased and first S.O.T.D post!

This morning:

Prep: Cold rinse
Razor: Edv Neiström no 52, 9/16" 1/4 hollow
Brush: Neep #1287 cobalt blue tulip horsehair
Soap: Proraso green
Aftershave: Prof Blighty's Red Ginger
Scent: Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

First run out for the green soap in months, and very nice too. Best part of a shitty day.

I arrived at the club tonight planning to have a quick training session and then go visit our coach (head coach since 1957) in the hospital, where he's been recovering from a stroke. It turns out visiting hours closed for ever this afternoon.

He was the reason I won the British and commonwealth titles I have, the reason I know anything about our sport and its history, my mentor and my friend. He taught me to be a better man in many ways. He cannot be replaced.

I will try to do what would have made him proud, as best I can.

Back
Top Bottom