S.O.T.D. Saturday 16th March to Friday 22nd March 2013

Grand shave today!

EJ89L with single shim & BiC (4)
Simpsons Colonel
Ingrams
Blue Stratos
Astral w/ dash of Lavender EO

Really enjoying the Blue Stratos just now and am impressed with the BiC blades. They seem to be very sharp and reasonably smooth with better than average longevity. So far I reckon a BiC is as sharp as a Lab Blue but not quite as smooth intially although it gets better and does last longer. Once this one is done, I'll compare it to Daddy Cool, the Rapira Swede. Aye, ok, so I'm a big woofter with the Lavender EO in the Astral - it makes it smell nicer and is even better on my face alright? :D

TOBS Grapefruit shaving cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Fatboy gold on 7, 5, 4 with vintage Scottish Permasharp - second shave
M&S Woodspice a/s

Excellent. Partial BBS. The grapefruit scent of the new TOBS cream is nice but I can see the comments about an artificial smell. It isn't bad but not great either, although it may grow on me.

18fypt.jpg

Pre toallita caliente + Nanny's sample + Vulfix 2234 super + Weber Bulldog Merkur with Astra #5 + Ach Brito cologne with La Chinata balm

An excellent shave today as well, very close&clean!

Cheers!

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Cold Water
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger
Razor: English Ball End Tech
Blade: Voskhod (2)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda Aftershave Balm
EdT: Penhaligon's Opus 1870

First outing with the 50's Ball End Tech I got otf eBay. Very smooth and comfortable! Razor is quite hefty for a Tech at 63 grams, so feels great in the hand. Might pair it up with a Bulldog handle next and see how it goes.

Have a great afternoon.

Thursday xxi March

Prep: Shower, Arran Aromatics Lavender and Tea Tree facial scrub
Pre: Proraso White
Cream: Proraso Green
Brush: Frank Shaving Finest Badger Turnback
Razor: Gem Micromatic (first use) SE
Blade: PTFE Gem
Post: Alum, Thayers Medicated Witch Hazel, Proraso Blue ASB, Acqua di Parma Clonia Intenza

Result: First use of my newly acquired Gem Micromatic OC, and really enjoyed it. Still honing my SE shaving technique, but getting there.

Good day to you all...

Jon

Thursday 03-21-13. MUSIC: Neil Young - After The Gold Rush (1970).

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpNdiXLBDC4[/video]

5c46e7dd-6578-44fd-8d4d-f428d24cb495.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Simpson Chubby 2 best badger - Gillette Rocket HD 500 - Derby Extra #1 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving soap Calani Classic Havana - Alum block - Thayers Original - ASB Institut de Karité - ASL Pinaud Clubman Vanilla.

Today's Shave

sotd21313.jpg

Gillette Flair tip
Feather Blade
Kent custom brush
NSS Citrus Zinger Face lathered
4711 Original cologne

Results BSS WTG

A noisy house full of children today ,5 of them little :angel: can't put me off shaving however, its good practice for concentration :D

Afternoon, everyone.

Thursday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 head with an iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (5)
Brush: Wilko's cheapie
Shave soap: La Toja stick
A/S: Brut
Cologne: Brut

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, white
Simpsons Colonel X2L, T&H 1805 cream
Weber polished, Rapira SS (2)
Cold splash, alum block
Clinique post-shave soother

Apart from being a tiny bit tender from where I slashed my jugular yesterday.. it was an astonishingly pleasing shave... close, smooth and disconcertingly comfortable.

Thursday 21st

sotd21313.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
Nanny's Warm spice hard soap scuttle lathered
Simpsons POLO 8 best badger brush
Merkur Progress short handle set at 2.5
Lord super chrome (3)
Cold rinse
Witch hazel
Boot's Freshwood aftershave

Smooth, comfortable shave. A final shave with the Lord. Razor cleaned and a different Lord blade loaded up for tomorrow.

Brian

Received a great delivery of Mike's Natural Soaps yesterday. Several bars, tins, sticks and samples.

I chopped off the ends and sides of one of the bars to get it into an Old Spice Mug. The off-cuts were easily squeezed into the sides. It was pliable like a hard putty. What a great fragrance. Nice lather.

Proraso pre
Mike's Barber Shop Soap
Omega 37 Boar
Merkur 34c HD
Feather (2)
Thayer's Original
Cade ASB

Enjoyable, efficient shave!
[attachment=6868]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363894174.879113.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1363894174.879113.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 21
Prep: hot shower & Lime Skin Food
Brush: NF2213
Croap: Cella (thanks Flip)
Razor: 39C Slant
Blade: Astra SP (3)
AS: Proraso Splash
ASB: L'Occitane

A lesson learnt today, dont push a blade a shave too far in the slant Ouch! I find that blades have a shorter lifespan in the slant.

I decided to give my new arrivals a run out today...

Proraso preshave
Ebay brush / Speick soap
Rolls Razor WTG, 1/4 pass
Kent BK2, heavily loaded with water to try to thin out the half a stick of Speick that little brush had managed to pick up.
Rolls Razor, WTG, another 1/4 pass
EJ DE89 / Wilkinson Sword Saloon blade
Alum
Proraso pre/post
(Time passes)
DR Harris Marlborough (swears)
Boots no. 7 balm

Not entirely auspicious! The new brush ate half my Speick. I'll restrict it to MWF until it's fully broken in.

The Rolls, although beautiful, is some way off true shave readiness! Very rough indeed. Still better than the vintage Tiger blades I tried, so could be worse. I shall order some strop paste to see if I can improve things.

The one positive was that the Saloon blade was much better than I had expected - but it may have benefitted from the contrast with the Rolls. I managed to nick myself though!

Prep: Shower, men +care face scrub, cold splash.
Brush: Omega Boar
Soap: Vitos Supercrema (green)
Razor: EJ89
Blade: BiC (2) single shim
Post: Alum, witch hazel, sierran breeze asl, freshwood balm

Only had a one pass shave today, more of a tidy up really, as my chin is in a bit of a state due to spots at the moment, and tried not to aggravate it more. Also in a bit of a hurry. That said, with the BiC, the one pass was pretty close, so very impressed. The vitos is a great soap too, similar to Cella, on par I'd say, except doesn't smell quite as strongly, and IMHO lathered up just slightly easier. Both are easy to lather though.

Very happy with this shave!

Back
Top Bottom