S.O.T.D. Saturday 16th March to Friday 22nd March 2013

I had my first SE shave this evening. I was impressed, it was one of my smoothest shaves yet apart from two small patches under my nose and a couple of little nicks along my jaw line.

Prep: bath and GFT Coral skin food.
Razor: Ever-Ready Pat'd 1912 made in England.
Blade: Gem stainless steel PTFE coated. (1)
Brush: Pens of the Forrest G2 24mm Silvertip with Masur Birch handle.
Soap: Monsavon.
AS: Old Spice Original.

I got the old spice today, along with a few other cheap ASs to try out. I was a bit bereft in the AS front, most on my shelf are EDT/Cs. Anyway, first application of the Old Spice prompted the exclamation of "oh dear, that stings!" in far more colourful language. The scent doesn't smell as I it remember, though. I'm not sure if I related the memory of it with something else or if it is a re-formulation from the P&G buy out. For an £8 AS, I'm still pleasantly surprised, very nice scent, even if I initially thought my face was melting when it was first applied.

Prep: Groomed face wash
Cream: Body Shop maca root
Brush: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Ebony synthetic
Razor: Edwin Jagger Chatsworth Barley chrome
Blade: Personna 'red' platinum
Balm: Crabtree & Evelyn Sienna.

A pleasant shave, using the C & E Sienna for the first time, and very aromatic it was too.

Greetings

Wednesday 20th March 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Valet Autostrop Mod. C
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated Modified
Brush: Vulfix 406 Boar
Soap: Speick Stick grated into a container
Aftershave: Floid Balm

A magnificent shave from this newly acquired Valet. The problem is that one of the blade stops is a little corroded and when I got the razor was bent; it straightened with the tiniest amount of finger pressure and I doubt it will be long before it breaks off rendering the razor useless. I payed £2.50 for it.........like burning money!

Regards
Dick.

DSC04052.JPG

warm water face wash
nuage menthol shave oil
GFT rose soap
404 Bodger
Fatip piccolo
Derby (1)
alum stick
Boots Freshwood aftershave and a bit of balm later

nice shave - the derby worked well for me and, as ever, the Fatip gave a close shave. The hair on my neck grows from left to right and I intended to shave against the grain but as I started to apply the stroke my arm resisted. I think my subconscious decided it was a bad idea so I left it at that. Perhaps ATG on the neck is not for me!

ATT Titan M1 / Feather
Semogue 830
Mitchell's Wool Fat Shaving Soap
Witch Hazel
Surrati Tom Aoud

First outing with the MWF - its a keeper.

Wednesday 20th March

• Trumper's Lime Skin Food
  • Speick Soap / Kent BK2 Brush
  • Gem Clog-Pruf / Coated Gem Blade (6th use)
  • DR Harris Marlborough AS
  • Boots no. 7 balm

Sadly a shave too far with the blade. 2 pass shave, WTG and XTG that's left a couple of weepers and a slightly raw feeling! Fortunately I'm not on customer site tomorrow so I can skip a shave to allow a little repair time.

Just when I think I've cracked SE shaving, I come a cropper. I think next time I will strop the blade first as they definitely smooth off with use but I don't enjoy having two rough shaves before I can get a decent one.

Good morning, all.

Prep: Nivea Sensitive Face Wash, Cold Water
Soap: MWF
Brush: Simpson Duke 3 Best
Razor: English Fat Handle Tech
Blade: Voskhod (1)
Post: Thayers Cucumber Witch Hazel, Weleda After Shave Balm
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

I've enjoyed 782sirbrian's Voskhod PIF so much that I've ordered 100 from Russia. Sharp and smOOth!

Morning, gents.

Wednesday:

Prep: Claus Porto Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 head with an iKon Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum (4)
Brush: Wilko's cheapie
Shave soap: Palmolive stick
A/S: Yellow Ginger
Cologne: Alpa Windsor

Splendid.

Wednesday:

LEA Menthol cream
Semogue SOC Boar
Slim Adjustable
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
Barbershop Bay Rum
Nivea Anti-Irritation ASB
L'Occitane Baux EdT

I've used the Slim for a few days with different blades. Started with a 7 o'clock Green, then Red Personna and finally the Yellow 7 o'clock. All shaves have been fine, but I've confirmed that the Yellows are my favourite blade.

BBS results, smooth and comfortable. Menthol kick and cold water shave really woke me up this morning.

Prep L'Occitane Soap
Razor Japanese Fon Golden Star 13/16
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons M7 LE Finest Silvertip
Vito's Super Coconut
Alum & Witch Hazel
Una Brennan Neroli Moisturiser
Penaligon's Castile Edt

Jamie.

Two pass super smooth shave.

Fon003_zpsb7a5d0b3.jpg

Cold shower
Proraso pre/post
Provence Sante Verlaine (used as shave stick)
Muhle synthetic 23mm
Merkur 37c w/Astra
Proff. Blighty's Peppermint aftershave
Proraso ASB

Excellent BBS shave! Much, much better results with Verlaine when face lathering, for some reason. Prof's aftershave completed nicely, giving a little bit of burning but leaving skin greatly conditioned and glowing.

Had a nice shave this morning:
Henk walnut silvertip badger
Tabac shaving stick
Merkur Progress on 2, 1.5 with Personna Lab Blue (fifth shave with this blade!)
1950s Cussons Imperial Leather aftershave

BBS again! And the skin feels great when the splash goes on and very soft after it's been absorbed. Lovely stuff. (A little of my hand also feels very cool and soothed as a tiny trickle made it in between my fingers!)

Strange to think that the aftershave I used this morning is still excellent sixty years later. Almost seems a shame to use it but that is ultimately what it was intended for! It has a lovely and very strong cooling sensation even though you can't smell the menthol in it (smells like Imperial Leather bath soap). I can imagine going back in time to the factory and telling them that thirteen years into the next century, through the rapid miniaturisation in transistors over the next few decades, microcomputers will become available in every home; several in most homes in fact, and a world-wide network of electronic communications will be established, first for military purposes, then to almost everyone for commercial and research purposes, and in that year, through that 'inter'national 'net'work, someone will buy this bottle of aftershave, unopened, and enjoy it. Do you think they would believe me, or care?
And isn't that a weird thing to say?!

Prep: Shower
Brush: Thater 4125/00 2-band Fan
Soap: Michell's Wool Fat
Razor: Aubril 7/8" Quarter hollow
Balm: Woods of Windsor
Astringent: Osma Alum
Eau de Cologne: Penhaligon's Douro

SOTD-13-03-20_zps1c60771c.jpg

Notes: Face lathering with a good badger brush does help with MWF and I got a good lather using it.
I had high hopes for the razor, but I think I overhoned it. Still managed a mostly BBS shave, but a bit of Alum sting.
Douro is an odd scent. It starts off smelling a bit eastern and bitter, ends up flowery and citrusy. Complex and quite preferable to Quercus, which I don't like very much at all.

Back
Top Bottom