S.O.T.D. Sat 26th Jan to Frid 1st Feb 2013

parker 91r/ fatip
polsilver
semogue 620
proraso green
pashana AS/ 444

fantastic shave, im really enjoying the fatip now ive put it on a parker handle. dont know why it works better than the piccolo handle but it shaves wonderfully, mowed down 3 days growth with ease. finished off with some pashana, when im in the mood for pashana, i absolutely love it.

Yesterday:

Gillette New #88
7oc SharpEdge (4)
Semogue SOC 2-band
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Witch hazel
Lucky Tiger Face Tonic

Today:

Gillette Fat Handle Tech
Gillette Bleue Extra (1)
Semogue SOC boar
Mitchell's Wool Fat
Witch hazel
Proraso Aftershave balm

Tonight's was by far the better shave. These SOCs were a great buy.

Monday 28 January 5.30am (eek)

Prep: Hot shower, Amphora Glycerin Soap - Lemon
Pre: Proraso White Pre
Brush: Omega 13064
Soap: Proraso White
Razor: Ikon 2PB, open comb passes # 1 & 2, closed comb pass #3 and buff
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver
Post: Alum, Proraso White Pre, Proraso White ASB, Floid "The Genuine"

Result: Great shave, smooth, clean, no nicks, minimal burn/tingle. Love the Ikon, especially the open comb face. For the first time since I've been doing this I'm claiming a BBS.

Happy Days!

Jon

Tuesday:

Cella
Semogue 2012 SE
Aristocrat Junior
Gillette 7 o'clock SharpEdge
Witch Hazel
T&H Trafalgar AS
Nivea Anti-Irritation Balm

Lovely shave. I'd stopped cold water shaving over the past few months as my bathroom has no heating and I can't face a cold shave in a freezing bathroom. However, it seemed to be a bit warmer today so I went for the cold water. I definitely get better results and less irritation this way. Wonderful shave this morning.

Tuesday 29 January

More hotel shaving - enormous bathroom, enormous mirror, but dim lighting, all back lit. Why? Who designs this places. Anyway, on the shave.

Prep: Hot Shower, Nivea Q10 facial wash
Pre: Proraso White pre
Brush: Grosvenor 404 Bodger
Soap: Vitos Extra Super
Razor: Merkur 46C Travel Razor
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver # 1

Result: Strange morning. Managed to drop my fully lathered brush into the sink thereby losing most of the lather. Had to plough on due to time pressures, but ended up with an excellent two pass shave. Says something for the Vito's soap I think.

Good day to you all.

Jon

Prep Dr Organics Manuka Honey Soap
Razor Vintage Japanese Fon Golden Star 13/16
Strop Kanayama Cordovan #8000
Brush Simpsons Chubby 1 in Super
Mitchell's Woolfat
Alum & Witch Hazel
L'Occitane Baux Balm
L'Occitane Edt

Jamie

A great shave from the Fon Golden Star, two pass super smooth finish.

FotoFlexer_Photo-1-1.jpg

Tuesday

Kent T4
Martin de Candre wooden bowl
Puma 6/8 No. 1 FF
Roger & Gallet L'Homme ASB
Acqua di Parma Colonia Essenza

....Smoooooooooooth!!!

TOBS Coconut cream
Henk walnut silvertip
Fat Tech with Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Superdrug Forest Fresh a/s

Another excellent shave today - why until the last few days have I not used the Tech more often?

Musgo Glyce soap.
Muhle R89 with Personna red #1.
NF Tubby 1 super badger brush.
Truefitt & Hill No 10 shaving cream.
Nivea ASB.
Alfred Sung pour homme EDT.

Nice shave today, first time using the Truefitt No 10 cream, nice stuff, have only ever used Trafalgar shaving cream before, & the No 10 seemed to be on a par with that "regular" T&H cream.

Yesterday's shave... and I'm just recovering enough from the blood loss to report it!

Same as the day before: Tech head with Weber Bulldog handle, Personna Med Prep, TOBS soap and NF Tubby 1

All the usual pre-faffing about. For some reason the Force wasn't with me, but I pressed on and even foolishly decided on a variation to my tried and tested technique.
Result... Texas Chainsaw Massacre... even with the excellent combination of Tech and Med Prep.
Sore as buggery today and covered in nicks. I'm contemplating having a full day off today and maybe even doing a light going over with an electric tomorrow morning (as I have to be out bright and early)

Let that be a lesson to all who take their eye off the ball!

Nivea face wash
Body Shop maca root shave cream
Merkur 25c open comb razor
Supermax razor blade
Omega syntex 90065 brush
Edwin Jagger Sea Buckthorn aftershave lotion.

A very mild close shave.

Sorry to hear about your rough going over, Steve. Ouch!

First cold water rasp today:

Jagger 89L, single shim, Personna Lab Blue (3)
Coates Fitzwilliam in pure
Ingrams
Taylor Mr Sidney's AS
Astral

Not a total revelation but still an 8/10 nearly irritation free shave. Will change the blade tomorrow.

Now I'm a fairly portly character at 21st and having being spent a lot of time outside in the past, I don't get cold easily. Normally after a hot shower and shave, I'm left far too ruddy hot and start to sweat so often have to lie down for a wee while. Additionally, I've got a fine head of hair and generally have to blow dry it as no hair dryer means I invariably end up with a bedraggled, unkempt look. Thus, I'm usually very hot and uncomfortable after morning 'prep'. With this cold water shave I get a chance to cool right down after my shower and although I normally cold water rinse at the end of any shave I have, it's still not enough to cool me down properly. If it keeps giving me this level of overall cool comfort and a good shave then I could well be sold. More experimentation necessary.

Kent soap
Vulfix Bodger
Service set Gillette LC New, Trig
Barbershop Bay Rum
RSC balm

This cracking little razor seems to be leading me over to vintages. Top-notch enabling Jamie! 4 day stubble to irritation free BBS including a full ATG pass (I limit myself to obliquely ATG with my EJ89 in the main to avoid irritation). OK a couple of small weepers on my upper lip closed off with cold splash but they were a result of over-buffing. It's not the most efficient of razors, no less so than the EJ mind you, but I find it a very gentle effective shaver. Going to have to do something to get this fat handled / ball-end tech monkey off my back before long!

Gairdner said:
Sorry to hear about your rough going over, Steve. Ouch!

Thank you for that, Graeme.
On top of everything else it was a really poor shave. Less than 24 hours later and I'm all grizzly again.

Make the most of your fine head of hair by the way... I have to comb my hair with a cloth

I've had that sort of shave with my Gillette #77 - red raw fizzer with weepers but not that close either. Half asleep I must have been.

My old man at 67 has a goodly head of hair which has thinned a little in the last decade as well as starting to recede above the temples a tad. However, he's still got more than most men his age. He started shaving at 12, had a huge, black, full beard and thick, longish hair when I was born so looked rather like we might imagine an axe-murderer. I, on the other hand, cannot seem to grow decent face fuzz worth a bugger and am nowhere near as hairy round body as he is so there's no guarantee my head of hair will last out like his either. Signs are good thus far but I would like to sit and watch Ripper Street on Sunday night with a fine handlebar moustache and some bushy mutton chops! Still, one cannot have it all (although I can manage fairly acceptable sideburns).

Back
Top Bottom