Rate The Last Film You Watched

Dad's Army
Very good cast, reasonable story, Gambon is perfect, Nighy just a tad too down register, Toby Jones is often very good as Mainwaring but somehow doesn't click. Daniel Mays is very good as Walker and there is a strong supporting cast. Tom Courtenay as Jones just strikes the wrong note, too subdued.

Overall a fun film but left me feeling disappointed but not really sure why.
Do you think it's maybe flogging a dead horse? Apart from being repeated almost non-stop, there was also the BBC dramatisation of how it came to be written and aired and now a full length film.

Toby Jones doesn't do anything for me - he just seems to play the same character in different clothes and wigs. His most meaningful expression is that downcast eyes and mouth - slightly surprised - look what life's thrown at me. And he uses it constantly.

there was also the BBC dramatisation of how it came to be written and aired and now a full length film....Toby Jones doesn't do anything for me
I thought the BBC dramatisation was pretty good and arguably John Sessions who played Arthur Lowe / Capt. Mainwairing knocked it out of the ballpark. The new films makers in my mind should be kicking themselves.

Just watched "Victor Frankenstein [Meet your makers]" (2015).
Yes, yet another movie about the Frankenstein monster - this time told through the eyes of Igor.

It was a slightly different take on the well known story.
What kept the film afloat was the great acting and wonderful set designs.
The movie itself..was a rather slow, predictable and uneventful piece.

I'd give it a 5.5/10

The question is, maybe, do we really need more Frankenstein movies?

locandina.jpg

Cheers Nick - yeah, I'm not the sort to wrap up the young lad in cotton wool and put my hands over his eyes every time a pair of tits is flashed on the telly.

Back
Top Bottom