New Edwin Jagger head - just too easy!

Had a bit of car trouble this morning, despite salting the drive it had iced up. This made it difficult to get out the drive, and tricky to get out the street (they don't grit our road).

The street was like an ice rink so I took the missus to work (she is terrified to drive on ice). I usually shave just after she leaves so this disrupted my shaving routine this morning and I thought I would have a shave this afternoon instead. As luck would have it my DE87 has just arrived from The Gentlemans Shop, as always fantastic service and shipping. (If you read this thanks Robert and Babs).

Guess some things happen for a reason :D

A week ago I promised myself I wouldn't order one of these razors until one more person posted into this thread. And since I made that promise, no one has.

So I ordered one anyway, haha.

cheese_dave said:
A week ago I promised myself I wouldn't order one of these razors until one more person posted into this thread. And since I made that promise, no one has.

So I ordered one anyway, haha.

:D
Let us know how you get on with it, Dave.

It arrived yesterday, so I loaded it up with a new Super Iridium and had my first shave with it last night. Started off with my base preparation so that I could benchmark it against my Merkur 34C HD.

First pass - WTG - awesome. It was gliding over my skin with barely a rasp. It felt like it wasn't shaving me at all.

In fact, it wasn't shaving me at all. When I'd re-assembled the razor with the new blade in it, I'd accidentally put the bottom head on upside down, with the result that the blade wasn't touching my skin. :oops:

Mistake rectified, I tried again. This time it worked much better! I found the action to be very similar to the Merkur, and for a first time with a new razor and a fresh blade, I had good results. Afterwards my skin was a little more tingly than usual, and I did (shock horror) get a bit of razor burn on my neck, but I put that down to the fact that it was my first time with this piece of kit. I'm very pleased with it though, and will be giving it some more runs over the coming days.

cheese_dave said:
First pass - WTG - awesome. It was gliding over my skin with barely a rasp. It felt like it wasn't shaving me at all.

In fact, it wasn't shaving me at all. When I'd re-assembled the razor with the new blade in it, I'd accidentally put the bottom head on upside down, with the result that the blade wasn't touching my skin. :oops:

:lol: :lol:

Good stuff, CD.

I have used this razor for nearly two weeks, I rotated it out with and Aristocrat today. Here are my thoughts on the EJ DE87.

My first impression on taking it out of the rather nice box was that it is a good looking razor, it looks better in the flesh than the pictures on the internet I had viewed. It is a classic elegant design that would race any bathroom / shaveden. In your hand it feels well made, the fit and finish is first class and there is not a blemish or rough edge on any of the metalwork that I could find. At £20 it is quite keenly priced so good quality and good value.

This is not a complaint but I noted that the length of the screw on the handle is long, maybe I was just used to the couple of turns to separate the HD but it seemed as if I was screwing for ages <insert pun here>. However when tightened it is firm and the blade is held firm. Even loosening the head a little there is no room to wiggle the blade unlike the slant which can move a little.

The length of the handle is nice, having used the HD for a week previously I find the slightly longer handle easier to manoeuvre the head around the trickier parts of my face. I was worried the smooth finish of the handle would make it slippy with wet hands but it was fine. My finger seems to naturally rest on the knurled part at the end which gives more grip.

So how did it shave, in terms of aggression almost exactly the same as my HD. The little bit more control this razor gives makes it easier to achieve no pressure especially on the sensitive areas so I get a better shave in the end but there is not much in it.

If I were to recommend a first razor for someone then I would say this is a good choice. It is slightly cheaper than the HD but I think an experienced DE user would appreciate it more. I remember getting the HD and the feeling of a solid chunk of metal and the robust build inspired confidence, so I would still recommend the HD as a first razor. However this should be the second choice and probably the better value one.

Overall a good solid razor that does the job with no fuss, I would recommend it to anyone especially for the price.

Audiolab said:
So how did it shave, in terms of aggression almost exactly the same as my HD. The little bit more control this razor gives makes it easier to achieve no pressure especially on the sensitive areas so I get a better shave in the end but there is not much in it.

Glad you got on with it Audio. I found the EJ noticeably less aggressive than my HD; it gives me a more comfortable shave. Not quite sure about the long thread - I reckon it's about 1cm. Your comments on its finishing are spot on - as is the finishing!

As far as I know, ALL the EJs are fitted with the new Edwin Jagger/Muhle Pinsel heads - it's just the handles that differ. (You can buy the new heads separately from EJ). The EJs previously used Merkur heads, but after various QC/finishing issues, they teamed up with Muhle. In hindsight, a great move.

Sorry, getting a bit lost on this at the moment. I'm now a convert to this DE lark and at some point soon I'll want to buy another, better, razor than my Feather Popular and this head looks a good place to start.

From my reading here and elsewhere it appears the the following razors all have the same head, and its just the handle that differs.

Edwin Jagger DE86, DE87, DE89
Mühle R109, R89
D.R. Harris DE87

Am I right, if so does anyone know which is the heaviest as I fancy something that feels substantial.

Jeltz said:
Sorry, getting a bit lost on this at the moment. I'm now a convert to this DE lark and at some point soon I'll want to buy another, better, razor than my Feather Popular and this head looks a good place to start.

From my reading here and elsewhere it appears the the following razors all have the same head, and its just the handle that differs.

Edwin Jagger DE86, DE87, DE89
Mühle R109, R89
D.R. Harris DE87

Am I right, if so does anyone know which is the heaviest as I fancy something that feels substantial.

Also as far as I know Edwin Jagger's Chatsworth Loxley and Georgian have the same head but more substantial handles .

and some Merkur's if I understand Paul correctly. Connaught is in the best position to answer this query, he has posted an explanation of the different heads available but that does not include weights of razors.

Back
Top Bottom