New Edwin Jagger head - just too easy!

So I have shaved with the new Edwin Jagger razor (with the Georgian handle) for the last five shaves. I get very good results from it with minimal irritation and quite often am able to go over areas without soap (perhaps thats because my lather is so good :lol: ). I also am beginning to like the handle more and more - it takes quite some getting used to, but eventually you realise you have a lot more control than a normal handle as the whole handle is in the palm of your hand.

So where's the catch??

Well I realised today that the razor head may actually be too good! I think its the Mach 3 of DEs! By that I mean that it is just too easy and forgiving - there is actually very little feedback. Prior to using this I was using an English Fat Handled Tech with a feather blade. I am beginning to think I prefer that.

So, should this be a razor everyone needs to try? I was going to get myself a Merkur 39c over xmas ( possibly), but if this EJ razor is sooooooo good, maybe I should just get that and my RAD will be cured?

Jase, this is such a personal thing. I can only say it really works for me. I use mine mainly with a red personna blade. I tried about a dozen razors and several different blades before settling on this combo. But remember, one man's meat is another man's poison!

I got this one. You can get the Jagger head on far more expensive razors.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com/cgi-bin/psProdDet.cgi/DE87db5||@cTraditional%20safety%20&%20double%20edge%20razors@b|0|user||18|" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theenglishshavingcompany.com ... |user||18|</a><!-- m -->

The thing that bothers me about the EJ head is that is so effortless. Somehow it has taken the 'art' out of shaving. I know, that sounds mad, but that's how I feel at the moment. Also, no modern razor seems to have the class of the vinatage razors.

I did a bit of an appraisal in September, in the Review section, on the EJ 89L and re-reading it I commented then on the undue smoothness.

It got too smooth for me (being an old Northumberland lad, I prefer a bit of rough!) and I found that I barely used it. It does look and feel beautiful and is perfectly balanced and finished. The razor is a gem, however it just wasn't really for me.

Ergo it has gone to a fellow member who will hopefully appreciate it a little more; I wish him every success with it.

chicken neck said:
The thing that bothers me about the EJ head is that is so effortless. Somehow it has taken the 'art' out of shaving. I know, that sounds mad, but that's how I feel at the moment. Also, no modern razor seems to have the class of the vinatage razors.

I get all the challenge I need with my straight razors! So perhaps it's not surprising that I so enjoy tidying up with my Jagger.

Blyth Spirit said:
I did a bit of an appraisal in September, in the Review section, on the EJ 89L and re-reading it I commented then on the undue smoothness.

It got too smooth for me (being an old Northumberland lad, I prefer a bit of rough!) and I found that I barely used it. It does look and feel beautiful and is perfectly balanced and finished. The razor is a gem, however it just wasn't really for me.

Ergo it has gone to a fellow member who will hopefully appreciate it a little more; I wish him every success with it.

I am beginning to feel the same way about the Merkur HD. It seems toooo easy.

fozz77 said:
Blyth Spirit said:

I am beginning to feel the same way about the Merkur HD. It seems toooo easy.

That's probably why I have gone almost exclusively Open Comb (R41 & 11C) and I'm expecting to try an HD Slant next week.

Life in the fast lane, eh?

:cool:

Does anyone know if this is this the same head on the DR Harris DE87 that Paul has?

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/harrisrazor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/harrisrazor.html</a><!-- m -->

Back
Top Bottom