New Edwin Jagger head - just too easy!

Audiolab said:
Dodgy, you have used two of the sharpest blades out there, the EJ do like something sharp but I would go down a notch on the blade sharpness before ditching it, granted you may still not like it but it is worth a try. I did not like Feathers or Irridiums in my EJ either.

I would recommend a Gillette Yellow, Super Thin, Kai, or something on a par with these.

+1

A very easy razor with regards to blade manipulation, it will show a blade in use for exactly what it is. i.e. a feather as being extremely sharp or a Red IP to be mild.

Any new blade i acquire is tested with this head.

RB73 said:
Audiolab said:
Dodgy, you have used two of the sharpest blades out there, the EJ do like something sharp but I would go down a notch on the blade sharpness before ditching it, granted you may still not like it but it is worth a try. I did not like Feathers or Irridiums in my EJ either.

I would recommend a Gillette Yellow, Super Thin, Kai, or something on a par with these.

+1

A very easy razor with regards to blade manipulation, it will show a blade in use for exactly what it is. i.e. a feather as being extremely sharp or a Red IP to be mild.

Any new blade i acquire is tested with this head.

Hi there,

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. After reading what you'd mentioned about using a milder blade, I went back and looked at my notes from months ago. It turns out I was wrong about using a Feather blade, which I never did try after all in that razor.

Yep, the other blade I used for three shaves was a Red Personna. That blade worked a bit better as far as no red spots, but pulled a little too much for my liking. I figured if the Reds and Iridiums didn't work, I wasn't going to bother trying another different blade.

Heh, I must have smoked a little too much 'glaucoma medicine' when typing earlier in this thread. Thank you again for giving me the idea to go back and correct things.

Martin

Now you have to try a Feather just to see if it is too aggressive :lol:

I like Iridium's but only use them in a limited fashion, when I discovered them they were the dogs danglies but since then I have other blades that work just as well in terms of cutting but I find the end result smoother.

As I said it may turn out you just don't get on with it but unless it is tearing you up I think it is worth trying a few more different blades. I found the Red IP a bit mild in the EJ head, I use Red IP's in Merkur and other slightly more aggressive razors. Sometimes you just know from shave one that you are not going to get on with a product, in that case I do tend to get rid of it, for me the enjoyment of it is half the experience and if there is no joy in it then it is sacked.

Audiolab said:
Now you have to try a Feather just to see if it is too aggressive :lol:

I As I said it may turn out you just don't get on with it but unless it is tearing you up I think it is worth trying a few more different blades. Sometimes you just know from shave one that you are not going to get on with a product, in that case I do tend to get rid of it, for me the enjoyment of it is half the experience and if there is no joy in it then it is sacked.

Heh, don't try dragging me down that bottomless badger blade burrow. I've already paid my dues playing with many different razor/blade combos over the years. Whewww, I'm glad that's (mostly) over with.

I agree with you totally about knowing quickly that sometimes a razor is a poor fit. That happens to me most when trying what turns out to be a very aggressive razor. Only takes me a couple strokes to figure that it's not gonna work on my face. Same thing is true of a new to me blade in my go to razor.

There may end up being some blades that will be ok in the EJ, but it's not worth the effort to find out. There's too many other razors I do enjoy and don't wanna go through a long search for the right EJ/blade combo. Plus, I'm doubtfull finding it would ever happen.

Nice typing at you,

Martin

dodgy said:
Hi there,

Thanks to you both for the suggestions. After reading what you'd mentioned about using a milder blade, I went back and looked at my notes from months ago. It turns out I was wrong about using a Feather blade, which I never did try after all in that razor.

Yep, the other blade I used for three shaves was a Red Personna. That blade worked a bit better as far as no red spots, but pulled a little too much for my liking. I figured if the Reds and Iridiums didn't work, I wasn't going to bother trying another different blade.

Heh, I must have smoked a little too much 'glaucoma medicine' when typing earlier in this thread. Thank you again for giving me the idea to go back and correct things.

Martin

I would say youve picked a bad series of blades for the EJ head... i HATE red personas in the EJ head. They feel dull, tuggy, and rough. Worse than derbys IMHO. The feathers felt very aggressive, but did work ok. I settled in the end on Gillette Bleues, platinums or superthins. Which in my EJ DE87 work like a dream.

Back
Top Bottom