December 2023 acquisition

Yes, thanks , not that I was actively looking for one as they are like the proverbial hens teeth, but this one is in great condition for around 100 years (y) I’m in the process of getting the blade into usable condition.
The early version seems to be better made than the later versions. Maybe the result of mass production?

... finished up making washing machines, didn't they? Haha.

I never managed to find one myself when I was collecting a few years back. Funny how the later sets can be found so readily in really excellent condition, even unused. Yes, I think Rolls Razor became quite the experts in mass-production and marketing. It's overall a genius concept.

Honing the blade can be done by cutting some lapping film to the shape of the frame so that it sits inside and get the angle just right when the plates are put back in. I know there's a stone plate, but lapping film is far more versatile and capable ... and can give a more refined edge that the leather plate can maintain. My old like-minded collector pal back in those days did a lot with Rolls Razors and you might find some of his posts more likely on B&B - look for mjclark.

... and the period paperwork in the sets make for wonderful reading.

... finished up making washing machines, didn't they? Haha.

I never managed to find one myself when I was collecting a few years back. Funny how the later sets can be found so readily in really excellent condition, even unused. Yes, I think Rolls Razor became quite the experts in mass-production and marketing. It's overall a genius concept.

Honing the blade can be done by cutting some lapping film to the shape of the frame so that it sits inside and get the angle just right when the plates are put back in. I know there's a stone plate, but lapping film is far more versatile and capable ... and can give a more refined edge that the leather plate can maintain. My old like-minded collector pal back in those days did a lot with Rolls Razors and you might find some of his posts more likely on B&B - look for mjclark.

... and the period paperwork in the sets make for wonderful reading.
Thanks for the heads up, I’ve never heard of lapping film by the way. Is it readily available?

Thanks for the heads up, I’ve never heard of lapping film by the way. Is it readily available?

No direct experience of this company, but: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/film-lapping-3m-261x266x

Basically, you buy the grit level you want ...
See: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/HONING_WITH_LAPPING_FILMS for a howto.

From memory, my pal Marcus (mjclarke) used a Rolls Razor plate with the insert removed and replaced with lapping film so as to maintain the same profile. In practical fact, it'd probably work as well placed onto the stone plate having been cut just inside the lines of that plate to as to be retained by the frame of the Rolls Razor case itself.

Here you go: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-improved-21st-century-rolls-razor.400451/

... actually, the lapping film is overlayed on the hone and secured with Vaseline. Pictures are gone (EDIT: no, this time I loaded the page they're there again), but sure you get the idea.

Just in case:

Screen Shot 2023-12-21 at 20.32.47 pm.png

No direct experience of this company, but: https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/film-lapping-3m-261x266x

Basically, you buy the grit level you want ...
See: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/HONING_WITH_LAPPING_FILMS for a howto.

From memory, my pal Marcus (mjclarke) used a Rolls Razor plate with the insert removed and replaced with lapping film so as to maintain the same profile. In practical fact, it'd probably work as well placed onto the stone plate having been cut just inside the lines of that plate to as to be retained by the frame of the Rolls Razor case itself.

Here you go: https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/new-improved-21st-century-rolls-razor.400451/

... actually, the lapping film is overlayed on the hone and secured with Vaseline. Pictures are gone (EDIT: no, this time I loaded the page they're there again), but sure you get the idea.

Just in case:

View attachment 114807
Cheers Paul, really appreciate your info here Alan

What do we have here? A second world war, service issue tube of Mennen brushless shave cream?
In good condition it seems!
IMG_20231222_074630.jpg

Well, not exactly... in fact not at all.
IMG_20231221_224227.jpg
The sticky vinyl covering is a little over-size (and has a spelling mistake on the directions!) but from a distance I think it's passable.
It could do with a bit more tidying up near the end with the hole.

My pleasure!

Please do post about your progress with renovations and bringing this superb razor back into service.
Using the Rolls set up I have carefully honed the blade now for around 200 strokes over about two days. Using a jewellers eye piece I’ve checked the edge and it is starting to look better and better. It easily slices thin paper. However, the true test is on the beard. The first time yesterday after stropping it wasn’t bad wtg on my cheeks but didn’t want to know around mouth and chin where stubble is much more random and thicker. After more honing and pre shave strop I had another try this morning but all though better it was about the same result around chin as yesterday. So, I will keep at it as the edge is certainly improving it will just take more time and some trial (but hopefully no error!) After all, goodness knows how long this blade has remained unused and blunt.

Using the Rolls set up I have carefully honed the blade now for around 200 strokes over about two days. Using a jewellers eye piece I’ve checked the edge and it is starting to look better and better. It easily slices thin paper. However, the true test is on the beard. The first time yesterday after stropping it wasn’t bad wtg on my cheeks but didn’t want to know around mouth and chin where stubble is much more random and thicker. After more honing and pre shave strop I had another try this morning but all though better it was about the same result around chin as yesterday. So, I will keep at it as the edge is certainly improving it will just take more time and some trial (but hopefully no error!) After all, goodness knows how long this blade has remained unused and blunt.

Good going so far ...

I have a good collection already of these ASR razors, which came under a whole load of brandings from Star to Treet to Personna and PAL. More lately, I've been on the lookout for really good condition cased examples.

The red one arrived today:

ABLVV87Sn1nUKjdIJ8iZZK4SELeU08AIx_hrBZZqTvPIP4tH1YfzW97av-PEBt0aDvBvzeDCbfG4vxHN0lA_qY3xAge9C2fJ6OvWYfLV_RuF3TzNYf882KElrwwpQr8xaOfNvVN0Q48VlTVHoOnKVlCO5Z8iAw=w1200

ABLVV84yDc4gBTUzuikpTz3PsV4mn4KYCS6tgnSvMBhzcnVEYGmJPLGdTNvVQ7YnE9xATdCrJ3uVluWVVHdCYWxG1ia0MqV26j96wL_jcuJE8DorugJts76lWE_wPtlHwuUYwjyutFg43SwuzPesoHt8HboNOA=w1200

ABLVV86qqACmKa-ADUgYu2MqyNipPIUUFpVBcSV6yvkq9SOrDk7mYpII-zcNGX3G7ugOYLKc93a57F2BTpqGywu4zB0pI_b80mo_P_yQp8o0iS5KKJObHLI9QVaTfFUDJ4uSZgDDDGo04MDDSOWgfxVW72pmhw=w1200

Personna in the middle with a couple of pals (PALs) alongside.

All with aluminium baseplate and lightweight handle. Minor detail to notice, the Personna in the middle has an ever-so-slightly thinner handle weighing in a 11g rather than 13g.

A veritable panoply of shaving-related acquisitions this Christmas day!
IMG_20231225_103121.jpg
We have, above:
A vintage Great Wall shaving brush
Vintage made in England shaving brush and a Boots Old English lavender shave stick (mostly intact) in original plastic container. The two have a carded ship-themed case.
A very stylish Lentheric aftershave and pre-shave (fully intact) lotion set in superb condition.
A Goya Corvette aftershave in good boxed condition.
A beautiful cased Gillette Bostonian from this here very actual particular exact forum
A mint Neo Lux Schrägschnitt slanted razor (used today)
Tom Ford Tuscan Leather body spray (will wear for Xmas lunch)
A set of scented Aleppo soaps (smell great, one used this morning)
A set of Captain Fawcett EDP samples
IMG_20231225_120037.jpg
Unfortunately some of the Captain Fawcett samples have fallen out of their explanatory cards and there's no way to tell for certain which is which (they have the company logo and a batch code only). I think I can match them up using my nose to their respective descriptions!

Back
Top Bottom