December 2023 acquisition

Lightning fast delivery from China - quicker to get from China into the hands of Evri than it was from Evri to my front door!

ABLVV87tMDIU-uzSWcjuz6ClY5NP04yHfydYJXalVOMotxfXyhPuaolCGmmRAUmN0c88QgKaBolVWh10TTvVMDb9cz-ntk0HOKpHZ_1cigqYhU1AkVAhd_vm3VbtjtKIqfFH4Y7_lxsjF3FkgnKwo95YjfuUnA=w1200

Might be crap ... dunno. I like plebeian blades and have a particular like for basic stainless, so I might well get on with them. They are Gillette and from the same factory as the very good Super Gillette Blues and London Bridge.

I know @NotTheStig has tried these, but he got the silver blades rather than these retro-looking blues.

Lightning fast delivery from China - quicker to get from China into the hands of Evri than it was from Evri to my front door!

ABLVV87tMDIU-uzSWcjuz6ClY5NP04yHfydYJXalVOMotxfXyhPuaolCGmmRAUmN0c88QgKaBolVWh10TTvVMDb9cz-ntk0HOKpHZ_1cigqYhU1AkVAhd_vm3VbtjtKIqfFH4Y7_lxsjF3FkgnKwo95YjfuUnA=w1200

Might be crap ... dunno. I like plebeian blades and have a particular like for basic stainless, so I might well get on with them. They are Gillette and from the same factory as the very good Super Gillette Blues and London Bridge.

I know @NotTheStig has tried these, but he got the silver blades rather than these retro-looking blues.
I have tried the carbon version before, if these are them, and wasn't keen (pun intended) but I you may like them as I believe you like the Treet carbons?
Often I find the 'plain' stainless to be better than the platinum coated variants (Shark and Astra spring to mind). Is it possible the plain stainless are finished better as there is no coating to hide the quality of the finish.

I'd be interested to get your view on the Suneko blades., @pjgh
I have a few packs of the FlyDear blades branded in the outer packagaing in your photo, and I found them to sharp and smooth but not especially long lasting.
Are the Suneko actually branded FlyDear on the outer packaging or are they, as I initially thought, two separate products?

I'd be interested to get your view on the Suneko blades., @pjgh
I have a few packs of the FlyDear blades branded in the outer packagaing in your photo, and I found them to sharp and smooth but not especially long lasting.
Are the Suneko actually branded FlyDear on the outer packaging or are they, as I initially thought, two separate products?
I ordered two completely different products @NotTheStig

The Suneko have the same logo on the outside. Adding FlyDear made the total purchase overall cheaper (there's some crazy logic) and made the order eligible for upgraded postage. I spotted that you've used them before and noted that they're a one or two shave blade. I've used some of those Chinese-made Super ShaveX (from Connaught) which many folks find very sharp ... I did, but only for one shave, at a push two. Seems to be a theme.

While putting this order together, I was very tempted by some of the other low-cost options, but comparing one to another to another I rather got the impression that they're the same blade in a variety of packages.

Yeah, looking forward to trying the Suneko certainly ... I don't think the Amorphous Diamond edge polishing is a gimmick. There's some discussion on B&B and it does seem to be "a thing". There's an Indian company called Uncle Tony whose disposable/cartridge razors use the same process. I'll be expecting 4-5 shaves of out of the packet quality ... of I'll be thinking the process is a indeed gimmick or worse, just some marketing license with words.

Pointing my translate apps at various Chinese blades, I often get the translation of "gold" or "diamond" if tilting the phone or isolating certain lettering ... and when put into full context, it'll read as "Platinum". With these, they're citing an actual industrial process.

Folks elsewhere seem very impressed with these blades.

Last edited:

These blades are supposed to be really poor from what I gather. There is also a rare Gillette MIC blade with the packaging as the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades but branded 'Sword' only that according a few seem to be the same blade as the black Flying Eagle.

I've read the Suneko blades are excellent though. Tag me if you get around to using one!

The Suneko have the same logo on the outside. Adding FlyDear made the total purchase overall cheaper (there's some crazy logic) and made the order eligible for upgraded postage. I spotted that you've used them before and noted that they're a one or two shave blade. I've used some of those Chinese-made Super ShaveX (from Connaught) which many folks find very sharp ... I did, but only for one shave, at a push two. Seems to be a theme.

MIC blades just do not work for my face, but I'm tempted by the Sunekos. They seem to be some of the better MIC blades from the guys at B&B.

These blades are supposed to be really poor from what I gather. There is also a rare Gillette MIC blade with the packaging as the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades but branded 'Sword' only that according a few seem to be the same blade as the black Flying Eagle.

Haha! Yeah, I'm not reading anything encouraging at all from sources around various forums. I'm wondering if this blade might re-baseline my all time worst blade, which is currently held by a vintage Rapira Stainless at nil points ... just below an older version of the Baili Stainless (the current crop are actually quiet good) and the very terrible Merkur Platinum.

With age and experience has come the wisdom to know exactly when to stop with a bad blade and not forceably encounter a bad shave.

MIC blades just do not work for my face, but I'm tempted by the Sunekos. They seem to be some of the better MIC blades from the guys at B&B.

You know I'm a big fan of those unobtainable Gillette Rhino blades from the Shanghai plant. I also really like the Super GIllette Blue and the London Bridge from that plant. I actually have a suspicion that the London Bridge was just the Rhino trotted out in new clothes. Other Chinese blades have ranged from acceptable (Cloud) to good (Baili) to "good grief, that's good!" (Super Shave X).

branston pickle will go great with all the grated cheese samples. (y)

... or chimichurri, if you're feeling adventurous.

There's an opportunity here to explain my process here.

Using a flat grater, it's dead easy to run the base of a puck (sorry, "cake") over and retain the look of the upper face when popped back into the bowl. I've not tried a cheese slicer, but think it'd pull a slice that's too thick. The shavings once in a plastic bag can be moulded together (in the bag) by forming and squeezing with a warm hand and then popped out onto a plate or into a dedicated shaving bowl or underside of a bowl lid and formed out into a larger disc for loading/lathering ... or one or two shavings pressed into the base of a lathering bowl if bowl lathering is your thing. It also occurred to me that the bag could be rolled back and the soap lathered inside the bag if held in the hand.

Versatile.

Certainly more options that those tiny little tubs that samples often come in.

Which Rapira blade was that, @pjgh? Is it the one with pink and blue horizontal stripes that used to be quite common and cheap ten years ago or so? I remember thinking they were not too bad when I first used them, but later realised they were pretty poor. Other Rapira like the Swedish Super Steel and Platinum Lux I get on well with.

I would have to put Cloud at the bottom of my list! I also revisited the Merkur as I still had some of the only pack I ever bought circa 2010. I thought 'for that price they can't be that bad'. But I was wrong. It was very easy to get a certain amount of stubble off and then no more. No matter what I did it seemed the blade turned into a toy imitation.
Haha! Yeah, I'm not reading anything encouraging at all from sources around various forums. I'm wondering if this blade might re-baseline my all time worst blade, which is currently held by a vintage Rapira Stainless at nil points ... just below an older version of the Baili Stainless (the current crop are actually quiet good) and the very terrible Merkur Platinum.

With age and experience has come the wisdom to know exactly when to stop with a bad blade and not forceably encounter a bad shave.

You know I'm a big fan of those unobtainable Gillette Rhino blades from the Shanghai plant. I also really like the Super GIllette Blue and the London Bridge from that plant. I actually have a suspicion that the London Bridge was just the Rhino trotted out in new clothes. Other Chinese blades have ranged from acceptable (Cloud) to good (Baili) to "good grief, that's good!" (Super Shave X).

Rhino, Gillette Super Nacet are excellent and last for a few good shaves. Super Blue, London Bridge, Super Thin/Platinum (both types) I get one excellent shave then I can't use them. Super Shave X, a good shave but left my face itchy. Some of these blades are excellent blades, but don't seem to work for my face for more than one shave per blade, the classic YMMV issue!

Then there are the Tian Li blades which are the worst blades I have ever used!

Back
Top Bottom