December 2023 acquisition

Which Rapira blade was that, @pjgh? Is it the one with pink and blue horizontal stripes that used to be quite common and cheap ten years ago or so? I remember thinking they were not too bad when I first used them, but later realised they were pretty poor. Other Rapira like the Swedish Super Steel and Platinum Lux I get on well with.

Yep! That sounds about right.

I have a newer pack of Rapira Stainless (pink/blue pack) which I still rate as sub-par at 6/10 (dramatically better than 0/10, mind) ... same score as the Cloud/Bruce Lee. For me, a blade has to be a 7/10 for me to want to use it for anything other than random curiosity.

I also revisited the Merkur as I still had some of the only pack I ever bought circa 2010. I thought 'for that price they can't be that bad'. But I was wrong. It was very easy to get a certain amount of stubble off and then no more. No matter what I did it seemed the blade turned into a toy imitation.

Agree! Quick practically (as in "in use") dull and incapable but still managed a 2/10 in my scoring.

Indeed! That said, it does actually shave ... as in remove hair. Some blades just don't (Merkur).

Yes, horrific experience akin to the Feather FAS-10 single edge or cooker scraper (two-facet) GEMs.
Perhaps next year I will try them, as I like to be completely masochistic now and then and if nothing else it will be a life changing experience. :ROFLMAO:

I believe I read somewhere that these blades aren't intended for shaving with. Perhaps that was decided retrospectively based on customer feedback!
I too have heard the same thing but the packaging, advertising from themselves and where they are placed in the shops say otherwise. Here is a direct quote from them.

TIGER LH​

TIGER carbon steel blades with a "cross-section" design boast exceptional cutting properties and long service life. They are used for shaving, around the home, as well as in industry. Just like TATRA, LUXOR, SOKOL and LEON blades.

Funniest thing I have read in ages. :ROFLMAO:
Snake Oil Salesman GIF by 60 Second Docs

Hey up!

Today I became the very lucky recipient of a Christmas PIF courtesy of the all-round sound chap @ATG

10FBF068-8B52-4C34-BDA6-7F33834CD57D.jpeg

Pretty cool, you might say, and you would be absolutely right! Dead chuffed I am.
Ok, down to business - the gold coloured razor on right of photo is a Fatip Piccolo OC razor, I have no experience of OC razors but I’m sure lots of you do - any advice for a OC learner?

All advice and comments will be gratefully received (as long as they are not rude!)

Cheers

Last edited:
Hey up!

Today I became the very lucky recipient of a Christmas PIF courtesy of the all-round sound chap @ATG

View attachment 114762

Pretty cool, you might say, and you would be absolutely right! Dead chuffed I am.
Ok, down to business - the gold coloured razor on right of photo is a Fatip Piccolo OC razor, I have no experience of OC razors but I’m sure lots of you do - any advice for a OC learner?

All advice and comments will be gratefully received (as long as they are not rude!)

Cheers
Don't over think it, just go slow and not too much pressure until you get used to it.
Most of all enjoy.
Great win BTW.

Hey up!

View attachment 114762

Cheers

I'm using that very razor this week. Look at ny SOTD post today. It's small but weighty. Just find the angle and let it use its own weight. It's very smooth and not as aggressive as you might expect.

Just check blade alignment

Sometimes they need a wriggle

The Rolls Razor brings back memories of my Dad using one daily before work, probably in the early fifties. The original patent goes back to 1916 and it was produced into the fifties in various formats but the concept of honing and stropping a small piece of straight razor then attaching it to a short stick to shave didn’t change.
I have just bought a very old original version the Popular Model from 1922. I have never seen one anywhere else and certainly not on web auction sites. A rare example then?
It is in amazingly good condition, silver plated and complete with wooden cloth coated box, guarantee and instructions for use. Overall it is slightly smaller than the later models with a commensurately smaller blade. Hone and strop panels are similar to later versions just a bit smaller. The outside has a sort of pebble dash pattern but still has the Whetter logo. Unfortunately the original handle was missing but not surprisingly a later handle works just fine.
I intend to use it soon for a SOTD report.

IMG_0432.jpeg

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0429.jpeg

The Rolls Razor brings back memories of my Dad using one daily before work, probably in the early fifties. The original patent goes back to 1916 and it was produced into the fifties in various formats but the concept of honing and stropping a small piece of straight razor then attaching it to a short stick to shave didn’t change.
I have just bought a very old original version the Popular Model from 1922. I have never seen one anywhere else and certainly not on web auction sites. A rare example then?
It is in amazingly good condition, silver plated and complete with wooden cloth coated box, guarantee and instructions for use. Overall it is slightly smaller than the later models with a commensurately smaller blade. Hone and strop panels are similar to later versions just a bit smaller. The outside has a sort of pebble dash pattern but still has the Whetter logo. Unfortunately the original handle was missing but not surprisingly a later handle works just fine.
I intend to use it soon for a SOTD report.

View attachment 114786

View attachment 114787

View attachment 114788

Ooh! The early one! That's a damn good catch there. Nice one! Enjoy it.

Ooh! The early one! That's a damn good catch there. Nice one! Enjoy it.
Yes, thanks , not that I was actively looking for one as they are like the proverbial hens teeth, but this one is in great condition for around 100 years (y) I’m in the process of getting the blade into usable condition.
The early version seems to be better made than the later versions. Maybe the result of mass production?

Back
Top Bottom