December 2023 acquisition

A few Christmas and birthday goodies for this year.

Guerlain Heritage because I fell in love with the scent and I always have a new perfume at this time of year.

L'Occitane Cade balm as it is one of those 'must have in stock' items

L'Occitane eye balm. A big believer in eye balms and the positive effects they bring

New washing machine earlier in December

20231226_082920.jpg

Tenuous link to shaving, but, a joke present from my wife, that could actually be very useful, although a bit big to carry in my pocket when shopping!
View attachment 114996
I inherited my grandads magnifying glass after my gran died a couple of years ago and it's amazing how many times I actually find myself reaching for the thing.
It seems to be an item you wouldn't buy but if you have it then you find yourself glad you had it.

Treet for my face?

ABLVV87AoUzu0EykUSbB81AyF6s-5RBxya8Zvuuf6UPZbkLP8-0F4pLx0zWoFhtMG_9CzZv2g94n66hlx-jKadUUMipSAj2P1nAov5gitPFPAYqboLwSRPgMWnSvb8YUOsZWfjhXfQp-XDWC6NEEk5Zwvrd1VA=w1200

Meh! Maybe a little disappointed that the advertised yellows arrived as blues, but in use there's probably nothing in it other than our imaginations. I already have a good stock of yellows and chucked this lot into my order of Classics and Platinums. I've dropped them a note about it as other folks buying may be more disappointed than me.

Material differences are that the yellow Dura-Sharps (certainly the ones that I have) are marked 1/2/3/4 while the blues are marked A/B - this is important, as I noted that all the newer blades (Trim, Tjax, Tez, King, 7 Days, etc) are marked A/B ... and I have some new and some very old Black Beauties which the older ones are marked 1/2/3/4 while the new ones are unmarked. I think it's fair to say that they're just newer stock and the colour is down to global vs domestic market. Despite any actual wording, the blues are carbon due to the yellow hue of the blade.

In use, I've found the blues to be perhaps sharper (or maybe the yellows are smoother) but only a mere tick behind the yellows because of that, but after the first shave out of the wrapper it's all moot. Very similar to how the German vs Israeli Personna Platinum Chromes feel ... and any actual difference is likely down to how recently they've been manufactured. I think it's fair to say that the Dura-Sharp is the Dura-Sharp is the Dura-Sharp - classier that the Classic, but you can't drink Champagne every day.

Good to top up my Platinums (my absolutely, unquestionable favourite blade) and Classics.

I've bought a few razors over the last few months but I've not got around to taking pictures of them. A few of them were in unspecified bundles on eBay with a few minor disappointments but here they are.

A few Gillette Techs. One complete aluminium Tech (the ball end) and mismatch, the fat handle has a worn, tarnished head from another aluminium Tech.

IMG_20231230_171931.jpg

A few Techs from the other side of the Atlantic. A USA made Ball End Tech, which is very nice in the shave. I'd say it performs quite similar to my English made all brass BET. Also a Canadian triangle slot Tech, which is a touch more efficient than my other Techs.

IMG_20231230_172047.jpg

A few TTO's, two Flare Tips and a Red Tip. I've not used the latter but both tips. One of them is mild like I expected but the other one is actually quite efficient. Both are great in the shave.
The Red Tip has lazy doors, and is in user condition but seems ok nonetheless.

IMG_20231230_172014.jpg

A unknown open comb razor. No idea what it is, it has a slightly different comb design to the ubiquitous Old Type combs that can be found. It is a touch more efficient in the shave than my Old Type clones but very mild nonetheless.

IMG_20231230_172339.jpg

IMG_20231230_172315.jpg

Last razors, a few SE Gem blade razors. I have no idea what the exact models are, @pjgh can you fill in the blanks?

IMG_20231230_172509.jpg

I have used the one on the right, which is an Ever Ready, is it a 1912? The other two are Gems, but I don't know what models. Is the one on the Gem Contour?

Lastly, the elusive Shave Factory Brush. I was pleased to get my hands on one but it was a disappointment. It used to be made by Omega and had unbleached bristles but this one has a weird plasticky knot which I have some experience of before. I had another Turkish made brush that used the same fibre and it is a truly horrible brush.

IMG_20231230_173013.jpg

All my purchases for a while. I was planning to have a quiet year for acquisitions in the coming year but I say this near enough every year for the last few years! Ah well...

Back
Top Bottom