Calling All ‘Fat’ Fans…

OK, I'm determined to get some use out of the cake of Kent Graeme sent me. Tried again today with it. Bloomed in 65°C RO water for 10 minutes. Washed face with bloom water. Dipped my Moka Express synth in warm RO water. Squeezed out and loaded heavily. Face lathered. This actually gave me a shaveable lather. It still had a tendency to want to dissipate but held up well enough to do a pass. Reloaded for each pass. Much better than before.

No cuts, comfortable shave, and now I kind of see what the fuss is about. OK so a good cake would probably be excellent, but even the one I have gave me a good shave and all the glide you could want. Post shave feel was lovely. I get what everyone's on about. I may even buy a cake of MWF from a known good batch in the future. I think I will at least persevere with this, it was not a waste, when you can get it to play its worth it. Cheers @Gairdner

Hardware was my ball end Tech and Astra SP (3). A celebratory splash of Tabac AS to continue the vintage vibe and the simple pleasures.
View attachment 100715
I’m glad you’re getting something out of it. Alas, when you’re used to a no-holds-barred, all out explosion of dense, rich and creamy, slick lather, anything sub-standard is a bit of a downer. I may have a shower with it later but given the slickness, I’ll probably go arse over tit right into Matron’s evil cabinet of medicinal monstrosities. And then the trouble really starts…

I’ve been under the weather the last few days and never did manage that shave yesterday. I have a new cake of MWF to try (Shaving Shack, 9139) but I may wait till tomorrow to enjoy it properly. Additionally, my bargain Rockwell 6S is due then too.

Of course that could all change depending on orders from Matron. No Matron, not the ice mud bath again and don’t try and sneak caustic soda crystals in either. Matron? MATRON! Where’s she gone now? @Blademonkey must be doing the Helicockter naked in the day room again. At least I’ll get peace until she injects him with horse tranquilizers. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…

I’m glad you’re getting something out of it. Alas, when you’re used to a no-holds-barred, all out explosion of dense, rich and creamy, slick lather, anything sub-standard is a bit of a downer. I may have a shower with it later but given the slickness, I’ll probably go arse over tit right into Matron’s evil cabinet of medicinal monstrosities. And then the trouble really starts…

I’ve been under the weather the last few days and never did manage that shave yesterday. I have a new cake of MWF to try (Shaving Shack, 9139) but I may wait till tomorrow to enjoy it properly. Additionally, my bargain Rockwell 6S is due then too.

Of course that could all change depending on orders from Matron. No Matron, not the ice mud bath again and don’t try and sneak caustic soda crystals in either. Matron? MATRON! Where’s she gone now? @Blademonkey must be doing the Helicockter naked in the day room again. At least I’ll get peace until she injects him with horse tranquilizers. Honestly, ruddy woman’s a menace…
She saw me at it and swiftly gave me a jab, that's it for me for the rest of the day!

Paul

Here’s a picture from hell for you: I’m currently in the bath (at Matron’s behest) but before running it, I put the soggy cake of bloomed duddery beneath the hot water flow and lit it up. The water is perfectly cloudy, soapy slick and smells divine. Scented, steamy clouds of Mighty Mitch wafting through the air - ah, such poetry!

What price a Mitchell’s eau de Parfum? And no jokes about smelling like an Aberdonian sheep post-match, please. I’m love with the scent but would I want to stank like this the whole dang day? Hmm, probably.

Now after you’ve stopped puking at the thought of old lardy arse in the rubaddub, you may reply henceforth.

Returning swiftly to topic to nudge dubious mental imagery into touch, I wonder if now you've given it a good soak it's not worth trying a shave? Although I did read your earlier post - when you've experienced how good a good cake is, why fanny about with a duffer. Fair dos. At least you have found a way of extracting some benefit, whole-body post-soak feel and Eau de Mouton following you about.

I is out! And shaved! 9139 is green for go. Multiple explosive lather incidents experienced generating more slickness than snail shit. Years have been stripped off my appearance. I is reborn! O’ holy St. Mitchell, how could I ever doubt thee?

All hail the Fat!

Young Again Gairdner

baby GIF

(The picture you requested)

Last edited:
A repeat of yesterday's shave, 4th and final run on the Astra SP in the Tech. Finish with bio oil and Tabac again.

I bloomed it again and this time the lather was voluminous and stable. I think I've soaked the cake enough now, I'll try again tomorrow without a bloom. This was a good shave, the best so far with this soap and as good as any. I like the feeling from lanolin soaps, I have enjoyed Hampshire #3 previously. Will continue to enjoy the Fat I think.
20230217_092526.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, just checked my soap stash and MWF is 8923, same as the dud Kent version. I've yet to try it..

From my experience across only a couple of examples, it's not necessarily the frothiness to start with because that can easily be achieved by a tad too much water but the fact that any lather you do manage to make will dissipate almost immediately. Lather up, put the brush aside and if it feels like all the soap has gone from the brush as well after a couple of minutes, that's another key sign. One such example kinda smudged around the face while I was trying to lather it, but if you're not a face-latherer, you won't experience that.

I am keen to find someone who has a good puck from a bad batch - I'm curious around whether the whole batch is a dud or whether it's a string of them mid-batch. While we can't find everyone who bought every puck in the batch, at least one confirmed good will tell is that a dud batch is not necessarily all dud.

Either way, all data is good data ... does it work, when did you buy it & who from? The Virigina Woolfat thread has a running list of facts.

Back
Top Bottom