Calling All ‘Fat’ Fans…

9139 confirmed as good by @NeilJ - interestingly his were Kent cakes rather than MWF which suggests the batches can span both brands.
That is interesting.

Again, from my experience in industrial food production the reels were changed on the packing line yet the batch was the batch was the batch. Funny that we'd be dropping product into one label and the same product into another ... and one low-brow supermarket own brand was the self-same product as M&S Luxury.

So, yes, the batch is the batch ... can span labels. We don't know that there isn't more out there - who makes Haryali, for instance? Scottish Fine Soaps a good number of years ago was soooooo close to MWF in a blind test I swore it was! I'd love to know how many per batch and whether batches are the same number each time. I wonder, too, if there some setting in the product once mixed before it's dropped and cured; whether it's the whole batch that's a dud or just a run of a few hundred? mid-batch. We've yet to find someone who says they have a good one from a batch that is confirmed bad.

That is interesting.

Again, from my experience in industrial food production the reels were changed on the packing line yet the batch was the batch was the batch. Funny that we'd be dropping product into one label and the same product into another ... and one low-brow supermarket own brand was the self-same product as M&S Luxury.

So, yes, the batch is the batch ... can span labels. We don't know that there isn't more out there - who makes Haryali, for instance? Scottish Fine Soaps a good number of years ago was soooooo close to MWF in a blind test I swore it was! I'd love to know how many per batch and whether batches are the same number each time. I wonder, too, if there some setting in the product once mixed before it's dropped and cured; whether it's the whole batch that's a dud or just a run of a few hundred? mid-batch. We've yet to find someone who says they have a good one from a batch that is confirmed bad.
I experienced the same working in food production for many years too. Same product on the line, enough of one order on pallet so stopped the line to change labels and carry on. The product you were putting through was exactly the same but it was all in the packaging to make it look posher. Hence why I usually buy in Aldi or Lidl.

That is interesting.

.... and don't get either of us started about "artisan" car wax's / detailing products "hand crafted in small batches in the UK" :LOL: :LOL:

I once knew someone who worked for a major biscuit / confectionary producer who said they did the same with product runs using differing labels - in their case they fractionally altered the amount of sugar or salt between label swaps so they could honestly say "it is a different product for the supermarkets compared to our own premium brand" if anyone had asked.

Well ! … What a curiously pleasant experience that was !!

For the techies amongst you: Merkur Progress set to 3, brand new Astra SP blade and a Yaqi Purple Haze synthetic 24mm brush.

The MWF puck was put into an old TOBS tub and covered with hot water for 10mins, then drained.

The lathering was done in an old Proraso Green tub by squeezing the brush half dry and then 10 laps of the MWF puck, which was transferred to the Proraso tub and wound purposefully for about 30 seconds. A few drops of water were added as needed.

The resulting lather was a full-bodied cream, as good or better than any I have seen before. It was painted onto my face and survived for 2 or 3 minutes unchanged, whilst I took the picture of the brush (appols for the poor quality).

The shave itself was a little strange and unnerving – I could feel and hear the blade doing its work, yet it was gliding along. It was like the lather was too thin, yet it absolutely wasn’t. It was thick and creamy and clinging on well.

I really feared I would be covered in cuts, but as it turned out, nothing at all when I rinsed off. After a 4 pass shave I don’t have a single cut or sore spot and my skin feels great and soft and moisturised.

Me Likey (y) :)

20230215_195543.jpg 20230215_195625.jpg

Well ! … What a curiously pleasant experience that was !!

For the techies amongst you: Merkur Progress set to 3, brand new Astra SP blade and a Yaqi Purple Haze synthetic 24mm brush.

The MWF puck was put into an old TOBS tub and covered with hot water for 10mins, then drained.

The lathering was done in an old Proraso Green tub by squeezing the brush half dry and then 10 laps of the MWF puck, which was transferred to the Proraso tub and wound purposefully for about 30 seconds. A few drops of water were added as needed.

The resulting lather was a full-bodied cream, as good or better than any I have seen before. It was painted onto my face and survived for 2 or 3 minutes unchanged, whilst I took the picture of the brush (appols for the poor quality).

The shave itself was a little strange and unnerving – I could feel and hear the blade doing its work, yet it was gliding along. It was like the lather was too thin, yet it absolutely wasn’t. It was thick and creamy and clinging on well.

I really feared I would be covered in cuts, but as it turned out, nothing at all when I rinsed off. After a 4 pass shave I don’t have a single cut or sore spot and my skin feels great and soft and moisturised.

Me Likey (y) :)

View attachment 100702 View attachment 100701
What a lovely rundown! Why does the lather look pink though?

OK, I'm determined to get some use out of the cake of Kent Graeme sent me. Tried again today with it. Bloomed in 65°C RO water for 10 minutes. Washed face with bloom water. Dipped my Moka Express synth in warm RO water. Squeezed out and loaded heavily. Face lathered. This actually gave me a shaveable lather. It still had a tendency to want to dissipate but held up well enough to do a pass. Reloaded for each pass. Much better than before.

No cuts, comfortable shave, and now I kind of see what the fuss is about. OK so a good cake would probably be excellent, but even the one I have gave me a good shave and all the glide you could want. Post shave feel was lovely. I get what everyone's on about. I may even buy a cake of MWF from a known good batch in the future. I think I will at least persevere with this, it was not a waste, when you can get it to play its worth it. Cheers @Gairdner

Hardware was my ball end Tech and Astra SP (3). A celebratory splash of Tabac AS to continue the vintage vibe and the simple pleasures.
20230216_075931.jpg

Back
Top Bottom