Calling All ‘Fat’ Fans…

Did you find it to be thin and foamy? I've experimented a bit and found out how I can achieve vastly different results. One extreme I experienced was like the foam you get if you use loads of washing up liquid in a sink - no substance to it, just a load of foamy bubbles. I managed this with a lickimat dog bowl (I know you have one). I also got a thin and foamy result when palm lathering by scrubbing the brush around in circles in much that same way many do when face lathering.

The method I used to get a thick, creamy, glossy lather is to just stick to painting motions with the brush the whole time (I don't mean during loading from the puck).

I wonder if anyone else shares this experience. I wonder if it is a case of avoiding 'whisking' too much air into the lather. Perhaps it's that the 'painting' knocks the air out, or at least avoids introducing air bubbles?

In case it's relevant I have hard water (total hardness 305 mg/l).
Yours is hard too right @hotmetal ? Your water, I mean. :eek:
The main point I wanted to make with this post was that, with the same cake of soap, it's possible to make great lather, or awful lather. Just one change in technique can make a gihugeous difference. (I'm not making this claim regarding the dud ones, to be clear)

Don't bother looking up 'gihugeous' in a dictionary, because you'll not find it. Incidentally, I think I could go to the 'things you don't see anymore' thread and put 'dictionary' there.

... and that I think is the crux of the "can't lather" threads going back a number of years. I firmly believe that truly dud examples did not emerge until shortly after lockdown. In the past I tested a number of examples to find they all worked out fine - it was simply technique. It wasn't until confirmed Fatties started to come forward saying they never had a problem but do now ... and that was summer 2020.

Quickly resolved and follow-on batches proved good again. But we've had another confirmed bad batch since (again the batch two numbers on confirmed good) so something is going awry somewhere. We just don't have the data at the moment, good and bad ... but I think there's probably enough to challenge Mitchell's direct about it and I do actually have one of the bad ones from a couple of years ago to send them if they're even slightly more interested than Trumpers* were.

*Never had any complaints. Not now, not then. No problem here.

Listen%2B3.jpg

When it arrives and you've tried it, pop your summary into the Virginia Woolfat thread, will you? Depending what you buy, the batch number might be on the box, so take note before chucking it on the the fire.

Will do.

Have ordered just a refill puck without a dish, from English shaving Company (Edwin Jagger) and am hopeful it will fit into an old screw-top TOBS tub that i have or an old Proraso green soap tub.

Will do.

Have ordered just a refill puck without a dish, from English shaving Company (Edwin Jagger) and am hopeful it will fit into an old screw-top TOBS tub that i have or an old Proraso green soap tub.
I put my fat in a TOBS tub and only just cover it in water, it makes it swell up a bit to fit the tub tightly so it does not spin when using.

I have found that daily use of any soap or cream, you slightly alter your technique to get a better lather each day. So far with MWF, I've discovered, If I miss a days shaving (only once), the longer stubble helps get a really good dense lather. I'm now experimenting with painting heavy amounts of water once I've got a really dense lather. I'm getting an amazing gloss from it, and extra creamy. Too much water at the start; forget it.

View attachment 100620
Well, I've just received my two pucks of MWF from The Shaving Shack but unfortunately both have no batch numbers anywhere!!!
I will test one later and let you all know the result!

Edit: number 9139 will test in the morning!

Paul.
9139 confirmed as good by @NeilJ - interestingly his were Kent cakes rather than MWF which suggests the batches can span both brands.

9139 confirmed as good by @NeilJ - interestingly his were Kent cakes rather than MWF which suggests the batches can span both brands.
I've taken quotes from people's posts since @culcreuch mentioned Hump Day. Boycie, you are giving me no fodder - you must be an innocent soul....

it's Hump Day

I've just received my two pucks

Inside one of the flaps?

i have or an old Pro

am hopeful it will fit into an old screw

I put my fat in a TOBS

it makes it swell up a bit

it makes it swell up a bit to fit the tub tightly so it does not spin when using

the longer stubble helps

extra creamy.

on the back of the box

see below!

Ok! I have just found it!!!

Back
Top Bottom