Where the Mitchell's wool soap belongs... in the bin!

This very thread demonstrates plainly The kind of effort and trouble NO soap should ever pose!! Ridiculous rubbish.
You need to zen out. It's only soap. Taking a tantrum and venting your spleen really isn't helping. As suggested, pif it to one of us that likes it...and gets it to lather as quickly as any other.

Love the stuff. When I want to try something new in the razor line I turn to my Mitchells. I make sure my puck is always hydrated. It lives on the shelf above the basin and under the mirror in the bathroom. Every time I shave I lift the little pot lid and place a little water on the soap then replace the lid. I know it is always ready to go. No standing on one leg under a virgin moon, No messing about. I soak my brush, flick out the excess and have at the puck. It builds into a luscious thick slick lather every time. Honestly. I like the scent too.

I wait with bated breath. ;)

I kinda doubt it's gonna happen. To me it's almost a 10-80-10 split when it comes to soaps;
10% are dreadful, 80% are perfectly fine and 10% are exceptional.
Thing is...the line between the 80% and the upper 10% seems to constantly move depending on if I face later, use a scuttle, shave at a hotel or at home, the amount of water, etc, etc - to the point where almost 90% oh soaps are 'ok' for me. There are some soaps I truly hate and that I avoid but apart from that I just grab something off the shelf and it'll lather just fine.
Not too worried about soap :)
(I'd say there are only three soaps that are consistently in those upper 10% for me - 1912, original KK and Fitjar).

Love the stuff. When I want to try something new in the razor line I turn to my Mitchells. I make sure my puck is always hydrated. It lives on the shelf above the basin and under the mirror in the bathroom. Every time I shave I lift the little pot lid and place a little water on the soap then replace the lid. I know it is always ready to go. No standing on one leg under a virgin moon, No messing about. I soak my brush, flick out the excess and have at the puck. It builds into a luscious thick slick lather every time. Honestly. I like the scent too.
Where's your sense of adventure? :D Shaving one legged under the virgin moon (ideally surrounded by vestal virgins) is most fun :D

That said, MWF is a doddle to lather. I may do a lathering video to dispel some of the lathering myths.

Inspired by this thread, I dragged out my MWF, which resides in an old TOBS cream container. I've plainly used as fair bit of it in the past, as what's there is a doughnut with a hole in the middle.

I wetted my Muhle synthetic (the one with more backbone), and laid into the soap as it is. With a good brushful of it, I then whipped it up in a shaving bowl, and shaved with my new OptionFive. There's plenty of lather, which does the job, but which lacks the body of many of the artisan soaps and croaps. I'd also forgotten how much of the distinctive lanolin smell it has; undisguised by any other scents.

Conclusions? It's a soap, it can be lathered as well as any other without difficulty, it enables a razor to get round the face smoothly, the lanolin gives me a bit of a skin-soothing finish, and a puck seems to last for ever. I'd say that, in the days before we were spoilt for choice, it was a good enough mid-range soap, between the West End luxury brands and the chemist's shop run-of-the-mill creams and soaps. It's a bit of a curiosity nowadays, and I wouldn't go out of my way to buy more of it, when there are many others that I like more; not counting the dozens I'd like to try, but likely never will.

Back
Top Bottom