Where the Mitchell's wool soap belongs... in the bin!

I say that the guys who have mitchells that cant be lathered by them, send a chunk to the guys who claim to be able to lather mitchells. then well see.

I have it, but rarely use it because I have other hard soaps that I like much better, such as Tabac, L'Occitane and Vergulde Hand. I can, however, make it produce copious amounts of lather, which for me lacks slickness and character, but would look nice in lather shots. I live in a hard water area.

Interesting...

Normally in these types of posts you have a host of members up in arms that the item in question in fantastic. But here the most passionate posts are by those who berate it.

Greetings

I have not used it for a few years simply because I like other soaps more but I must say that I never had the slightest problem with my very hard water making it lather up just fine. In fact I would say I found it no worse or better than very many other soaps I have tried. Until I joined this forum a few years ago I did not know (or suspect) there was even a lathering issue with this soap; to me it was just another ordinary soap, and it still is.

Regards
Dick. PS Vegemite is a bit strange though!

Maybe those who use it and like it couldn't give a rat's arse about 'MWF rage'. ;):)
Maybe. I'm the type of person that if something isn't working then I'll look at myself first before blaming the item (soap, razor or anything).

Generally if something sells well or sold for a good amount of time then the product should be fit for purposes because if not then it would never sell. Thats not to say there are better functioning products.

Maybe. I'm the type of person that if something isn't working then I'll look at myself first before blaming the item (soap, razor or anything).

Generally if something sells well or sold for a good amount of time then the product should be fit for purposes because if not then it would never sell. Thats not to say there are better functioning products.
Exactly. Some stuff doesn't really work for me, but it still sells millions and loads of people are really happy with it.

Maybe those who use it and like it couldn't give a rat's arse about 'MWF rage'. ;):)
If you search through shaving forums there are a multiplicity of threads on MWF not lathering and it just gets boring saying "I'm alright Jack" to them all.

It's a good soap but it isn't the only good soap. I say it works for me, because: balance not, because: evangelism I really don't care if someone likes it or not. Equally it's the internet, rage is far more common and vociferous than delight.

If it doesn't work for you PIF it to someone who hasn't tried it and move on, it's not some vast shavers conspiracy trying to catch you out.

but only if you use unicorn tears harvested under a blue moon by a brown haired blue eyed virgin.

Actually, if you follow the video, his method is the antithesis of the fussy procedures that many say are necessary for lathering MWF. In another video, he uses a boar brush and a floppy badger knot and gets much the same lather, albeit with a touch more work.

As regards this "if I can't load the brush in 15 seconds, I don't use it" philosophy - with our ultra-hard water (much the same as in the video), if I took that approach, I'd be a cream user at best, or still on canned gels at worst. Even the easiest-to-lather products take some work with our water.

^^^THIS^^^

From my point of view, I've used MWF for many years and was the first proper soap I purchased.

It did require a bit more effort to lather than Palmolive and Irisch Moos (my first two soaps which I remember fondly!)... hence my comments about the quickly evaporating foam! But once I got the hang of it I found a bit of effort (heavily loading up the brush and using a drop more water) resulted in a great lather.

I think, though, its slightly been surpassed and upstaged by the burgeoning developments of the artisans. Something like P&B literally explodes on my face with the tiniest of swirls, provides a really rich lather and leaves my skin feeling awesome after a shave.

There's always a place in my rotation for MWF as at times its worth the extra work. I can also understand, when there are a plethora of high quality alternatives available, why folk get frustrated and can't be bothered with it.

From my point of view I think this it is a good benchmark soap for me to compare other soaps. I like the cushion and the slickness as well as the way my face feels afterwards. I am not saying that it is the best soap out there in all of these respects but it is pretty good all round especially for the price.

I do think that it gets easier to load the brush as the puck breaks in and absorbs water during use.

I tried MWF. I really wanted to like it but it did not work for me. I did look at various ways to make it work but no luck.

Maybe it was me, maybe it s the soap it doesn't matter i won't buy it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've still got a soft spot for MWF as I used it for years, yes it can be a bit of a bugger at the beginning but I got the hang of it and I quite liked occasionally doing a superlather with it by adding some Palmolive cream. Though I've since found the Haslinger Schafmilch to be much superior with all the qualities I liked.

Back
Top Bottom