The World Cup

joe mcclaine said:
I'd take them all outsiide for a full and frank discussion before letting their feet touch another ball (or whatever it is Heskey hits the ball with, somewhere above his ankle probably).

It's the square corners on his banana feet & his head that lead to unpredictable trajectories. Well I can predict that 99.9% of the time they'll end up in Row Z of the stand obviously.

Whether we like it or not , the 'good ole days' when players used their club performances to elevate themselves to 'international status' are long gone. The simple truth is that Club football is where the money and whatever it is they believe that loyalty is lies. Internationals are now just some kind of global eBay for footballers.

Do i blame them for this complacent, couldn't give a toss attitude? No, not really. But what really grips my shit is all the friggin' crappy adverts in JJB Sports windows and the like where they are pretending to give a shit about pride and honour, which merely comes off as arrogance, just to get some merchandise sold to kids who grow up in awe of their idols, idols with feet of feet of clay? in Heskey's case, they are made of something soft and brown - but i don't think it's clay.

rant over, thanks for listening, reading...... whatever :|

Well said Sir, though I do blame our 'superstars' for their complacent attitude. Playing for your country should be the absolute pinnacle of a players career. I know Beckham takes some stick, but he always gave it 100% in an England shirt, something you can't say for many of last nights players.

I'm sitting here, browsing while watching tonight's match. Cameroon just scored. Effect? Up went the volume of the vuvuzelas - you could barely hear the roar of the crowd. I never realised how much the sound of a crowd contributes to the atmosphere and enjoyment of sport. I've just taken it for granted. So far this has been the least enjoyable major sporting event I have witnessed on TV. Of course we can turn the sound down or off, but perhaps that's even worse than suffering the vuvuzelas at a modest volume. It shouldn't be like this again. Ever.

I've read an article or two on the net about filtering out the vuvuzelas

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://lifehacker.com/5564085/how-to-silence-vuvuzela-horns-with-an-eq-filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://lifehacker.com/5564085/how-to-si ... -eq-filter</a><!-- m -->

Also some talk that if the BBC get enough complaints they may filter them out of broadcasts.

Damian

Canal+ did it quite successfully starting with Thursday night's match... as far as I gathered from what they said in the "science bit" (mon francais n'est pas that good) - they have the set up exactly as before but they have a notch filter to remove the vuvuzelas from the crowd. The commentators are still in their box, spouting shite as before with obviously some low VZ leak into the commentary box...

I was stuck in a traffic jam (fecking M6) listening to the last few minutes of that Italy/NZ game on Radio 5 Live. I was crying with laughter at the commentary.

"The manager's making a substitution with 4 minutes left."
"Manager? They'll make him Prime Minister when he goes back!"
"The substitute works in a bank."
"Bank? The Italian players earn more than that bank's worth!"
"Who's been your man of the match?"
"All of them."
"If you had to pick one."
"All of them."
"No, you can only pick one."
"ALL OF THEM."
"And that's the final whistle..."
"I don't believe it, THEY'VE HELD ITALY TO A DRAW, IT'S LIKE THEY'VE WON THE WORLD CUP!!!! THERE ARE TOPLESS GIRLS ALL AROUND THE STADIUM, THE KIWI RADIO PRESENTERS BEHIND US ARE IN TEARS!!!!!"

Wouldn't it be nice to feel like that about an England performance?

cheese_dave said:
I was stuck in a traffic jam (fecking M6) listening to the last few minutes of that Italy/NZ game on Radio 5 Live. I was crying with laughter at the commentary.

"The manager's making a substitution with 4 minutes left."
"Manager? They'll make him Prime Minister when he goes back!"
"The substitute works in a bank."
"Bank? The Italian players earn more than that bank's worth!"
"Who's been your man of the match?"
"All of them."
"If you had to pick one."
"All of them."
"No, you can only pick one."
"ALL OF THEM."
"And that's the final whistle..."
"I don't believe it, THEY'VE HELD ITALY TO A DRAW, IT'S LIKE THEY'VE WON THE WORLD CUP!!!! THERE ARE TOPLESS GIRLS ALL AROUND THE STADIUM, THE KIWI RADIO PRESENTERS BEHIND US ARE IN TEARS!!!!!"

Wouldn't it be nice to feel like that about an England performance?

That was Robbie Savage commentating, I heard him interviewed about it the next day, he just kept going on about the topless women in the crowd :lol:
Highlight of the game he reckons.

I heard Savage declare his new found respect for journalists because they get up at 8.00am and can finish really really late. Welcome to the real world Robbie.:roll:

Uruguay to beat Mexico...they want top spot.

Squeaky bum time today for Germany and England as both teams need a win to guarantee qualification to the knock out stages.

In reality once you take out all the emotion, both teams are big favourites to win and this is reflected in the bookies odds being offered.

They both are at 1/2 (best odds that I could find) to win their respective games.

How about a double on both teams to turn on the style and win by 3 or more goals?

A tenner bet on the Asian handicap on this outcome will win you £158. :eek:
You could buy lots of shaving supplies with that little return. :D

That sir is called the hopeful patriotic suckers bet.

I don't see a goal fest in either game, all Ghana and Slovenia have to do is not lose to qualify.

I'm off to visit my BIL this afternoon in hospital (nasty infection following removal of brain tumour) I will be watching it with him but visiting finishes before the end of the match, wonder if they'll kick us out?

Back
Top Bottom