The World Cup

hunnymonster said:
Well Archie Gemmell's as likely to score tonight as the planks that Fabio puts on the pitch. He probably still moves faster than Heskey too.

Do you know what hunny, you are absolutely spot on with these remarks! The match with Algeria is almost over with neither side looking as though they are gonna score... I'm almost speechless!!! :(

Call me unpatriotic, but I care very little if England don't make it to the knock-out stages. And for this I'm very, very sorry, but I'm sick of these pampered, preening, privileged, diamond earring wearing, overpaid, sybaritic imbeciles constantly under performing. :x There, I've said it! I hope out athletes this weekend show what it's like to have some drive, desire and pride.

Fido said:
My sister's a real fanatic. She just rang. She's had three whiskies since the final whistle. I told her to finish the bottle.
Hi Fido!

One would have thought with England being the only qualifier from the UK, that at some time or other the reason they qualified would have shown! But at no time in either of their matches has this reason been revealed - astonishing!! :?

Oh dear. I actually found myself not wanting England to get a last minute goal. I sat there thinking "You useless f***ers don't deserve to win".

They're either all completely knackered, injured, or unhappy playing for Capello.

Ian

Following her recent "the England manager looks a bit Italian" comment, I was well impressed tonight during our pre-match curry when SWMBO asked, "has he announced his team yet?" My gosh, she's getting into it, I thought, she knows of Fabio's last minute team announcements.

I was slightly less impressed, though, when I was talking about the Germans being down to ten men earlier in the day.

"That's good," she said.
"Why?" I asked.
"There will be less of them if we have to play them."

Oh my.

It's a lovely morning here in the Forest.

I've been a sports fan all my life and seen some extraordinary things. Englands performance last night was a complete mystery. I don't recall ever seeing a top team so inept. I felt the same as Ian towards the end. We must remember that the players have feelings too. They will be bitterly disappointed. This is not about money or pride. Sometimes in sport a team or player lose form. It can just as quickly return.

We are not alone. Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal still have jobs to do.

How about a Ghana v Serbia final?

This cheered me up.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyoursay/2010/06/on_air_is_it_ever_ok_to_boo_yo.html#224165%23more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyou ... 165%23more</a><!-- m -->

Went into work for a couple of hours this morning. All the TVs in the hospital showing 'highlights' of last night's match. To translate the commentary 'Africa at last gets revenge on the British empire' ! :eek: :eek: :eek:

:( Think Capello has not got the team behind him,watching that last night Heskey was dropping back that far he was probably the best defender,also Rooney the same in midfield most of the game..Lampard is utter shite when he pulls a england shirt on.I think its going to take a senior member of the squad to have some boolcks and basiccally tell capello where they want to play..Rooney up front on his own, Gerrard behind,cole to come in and just go for it..Watching that last night has really made me depressed,oh well roll on wednesday. :?

After last night's debacle it was good to see England beat the Aussies just now (rugby) It's Japan v Holland now. Two more to go today.
It's a pity it's summer. I need to do some gardening.

Fido said:
It's a lovely morning here in the Forest.

I've been a sports fan all my life and seen some extraordinary things. Englands performance last night was a complete mystery. I don't recall ever seeing a top team so inept. I felt the same as Ian towards the end. We must remember that the players have feelings too. They will be bitterly disappointed. This is not about money or pride. Sometimes in sport a team or player lose form. It can just as quickly return.

We are not alone. Germany, France, Italy, Spain and Portugal still have jobs to do.

How about a Ghana v Serbia final?

This cheered me up.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyoursay/2010/06/on_air_is_it_ever_ok_to_boo_yo.html#224165%23more" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/worldhaveyou ... 165%23more</a><!-- m -->

Good afternoon Fido!

I read that blog. The main topic seemed to be whether or not England's performance was worthy of a few boos, or not! As someone who is not really a football fan, but likes to watch the occasional game, I have this to say : Any top team can have a mediocre or bad game like England's first one against the USA, but to give a repeat performance against similar opposition a few days later is almost unforgivable at this level of supposed expertise! Were the fans entiled to boo? of course they were, how else are they supposed to vent their collective anger, disappointment, and frustration at not one, but two lacklustre non-performances? To expect most of the "booers" to apply deep thought and careful consideration before expressing their disapproval in the only way they know how is unfair and totally unrealistic! The players need to know immediately exactly how fans feel about embarrassingly poor performances. If this hurts their feelings, and stings some of them into inappropriate and sarcastic comments, maybe this is just what is needed in order for them to come out and beat Slovenia next Wednesday!

spandex.. :|

As a non-league football fan who watched his team beaten by 5 goals more than once last season I say the fans were right to boo.

I don't mind watching my team play and lose or draw if they've put up a fight and played well. If they haven't, I'll make my feelings known by either walking out early, booing or talking to the player in the bar after the match.

England players will come and go, but that shirt, and the fans always have been and always will be there. The players should play with pride and passion. None of that was on display yesterday.

I'd take them all outsiide for a full and frank discussion before letting their feet touch another ball (or whatever it is Heskey hits the ball with, somewhere above his ankle probably).

joe mcclaine said:
England players will come and go, but that shirt, and the fans always have been and always will be there.

That's exactly right, except I really wouldn't expect players to feel the same way that you do as supporter of club or country. Firstly it's just not true and secondly it's just unrealistic to think that if they were just a little more patriotic or felt for the cause, performance would improve or they would seemingly care a little more or give more effort. Soldiering is the same, they engender and foster great spirit and trust amongst each other so when the shit hit's the fan they fight for each other not the blessed Queen. It was always thus and international sport is just that, warfare without the guns.

Back
Top Bottom