The World Cup

Once again, billions of people around the world will excitedly be following the events of the next few weeks.

And what a farce it all is. For all the skills on display, the key ingredient of success will, as always, be your teams share of lady luck. How often do you see a team dominate, only to stumble at the last because an opponent gets a lucky rebound or ricochet off a body at a vital moment? There's absolutely no justice in most sports, just the difference in luck on the day.

And don't us fans just love it. I'll be following it every step of the way. And if England did actually get to win it again, think of me. I'll be flaked out. The excitement would have been too much for me. But it's the way I want to go. So be happy. Someone else will ring my bells.

Great to get away from the wars, crime and chaos :( that dominate the news these days and I like most people will be glued to the box :)
I think however your safe Fido, England have absolutely no chance. :D
regards, beejay

Fido said:
Once again, billions of people around the world will excitedly be following the events of the next few weeks.

And what a farce it all is. For all the skills on display, the key ingredient of success will, as always, be your teams share of lady luck. How often do you see a team dominate, only to stumble at the last because an opponent gets a lucky rebound or ricochet off a body at a vital moment? There's absolutely no justice in most sports, just the difference in luck on the day.

And don't us fans just love it. I'll be following it every step of the way. And if England did actually get to win it again, think of me. I'll be flaked out. The excitement would have been too much for me. But it's the way I want to go. So be happy. Someone else will ring my bells.

I misread bells ........

One of my first world cup memories was 1978 when Archie Gemmel scored 'that' goal.

In my house we had fingerprint size holes in our ceiling as a monument to that goal from where my dad jumped up and nearly went through the roof.
My mum DID hit the roof however when she saw the holes! :lol:

Got lots of jobs to do today, but have put a couple of quid on South Africa to win the 1st game. Better get off this computer and get on with it so that I can watch the game.

Excuse the language, but I'm already pissed off with those FUCKING HORNS!!!!!!!

Incidentally, my Dad was at the '66 final, plus a few other games during that tournament. He still says that Eusébio is the best player that he has ever seen. "He could do it all."

Ian

Ah, World Cup memories.

I went to a few qualifiers for France '98 - Georgia (Tbilisi), Poland (Chorzow) and Italy (Rome) and then to France for all four games Tunisia (Marseilles), Romania (Toulouse), Colombia (Lens) and Argentina (St Etienne) and stayed out there til the day after the Argentina match.

I also went to France in '97 before the World Cup for Le Tornoi where we played Italy (Nantes), France (Montpellier) and Brazil in the final (Paris).

Couldn't tell you the scores or scorers in any of the games - I was too mullered.

I have considered comig out of retirement for some Euros and World Cups but I'm not sure my liver could take it.

C'mon Engerlund. Let's 'ave it!

OMG! Did a certain French player just cry 'handball!' to not avail!!! Bless!
Arf, arf, arf. :lol: :lol:
Sorry, we really need a more hysterically laughing emoticon for these occasions.

The England squad is due to be led out for their match with the USA by ten-year old Niamh Murphy:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/3005876/Kids-of-courage-win-England-mascot-roles.html

Her father, Dave Murphy, is an IT manager for Lloyds Banking Group.

He is not me. I do know him, and I've met him a couple of times. He and I frequently get each other's emails. In fact, I've been mistakenly getting congratulatory emails for him all day, when it was announced on our intranet site that his daughter would be leading the team out.

So, little bit of extra info for you there.

IanM said:
Excuse the language, but I'm already pissed off with those FUCKING HORNS!!!!!!!

Incidentally, my Dad was at the '66 final, plus a few other games during that tournament. He still says that Eusébio is the best player that he has ever seen. "He could do it all."

Ian

You need this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.virtualvuvuzela.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.virtualvuvuzela.com/</a><!-- m -->

Or the real thing:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vuvuzela-/160444232534?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item255b38b356#ht_500wt_1154" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vuvuzela-/1604442 ... 500wt_1154</a><!-- m -->

As I said at the start of this thread:

"And what a farce it all is. For all the skills on display, the key ingredient of success will, as always, be your teams share of lady luck. How often do you see a team dominate, only to stumble at the last because an opponent gets a lucky rebound or ricochet off a body at a vital moment? There's absolutely no justice in most sports, just the difference in luck on the day."

So we got no good luck, some bad luck - and didn't lose.

A pretty good start.

Back
Top Bottom