The future of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well Chris I watch the News everyday and all I see is one front Man Salmond as the YES vote, but on the other hand I have noticed and maybe you have to nearly every other head of the UK government and the majority of every UK political party on the side of the NO vote talk about one sided intimidation it's so blatantly bias from the UK side it's embarrassing.

pugh-the-special-one said:
Well Chris I watch the News everyday and all I see is one front Man Salmond as the YES vote, but on the other hand I have noticed and maybe you have to nearly every other head of the UK government and the majority of every UK political party on the side of the NO vote talk about one sided intimidation it's so blatantly bias from the UK side it's embarrassing.

Jamie, I appreciate that you're a patriotic Welshman, and I applaud you for it, but you often seem to be quite anti-English (I'm sure unintentionally). This seems to me to be one such example. I'm baffled as to why you appear to think that one or more of the Westminster parties has to support the Yes campaign simply to balance the number of politicians appearing for each side. Surely the true balance of parties on the Yes and No sides of the debate is part of the overall political and social landscape in this debate? Perhaps the Yes campaign has decided to adopt a strategy of making Salmond their main spokesperson/front man - maybe they think he's the most persuasive/charismatic/popular/recognisable face of the Yes camp? Can you, with a straight face tell me that the No campaign should have been allowed only one front man/woman just because the Yes campaign decided to use that approach?

I doubt you'll take my (or any other) Englishman's word on this, but we're not all imperialists who view our neighbours in the union as inferiors who need to be suppressed or ordered around. I think you'll find most English people with an interest in what happens don't care whether the Yes campaign used one main spokesperson or 100 - the overwhelming majority want Scotland to stay in the union, but appreciate it isn't their decision and wish Scotland the best whatever the people decide.

I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks!
Salmond and his cronies continually get away with vacuous non answers to pertinent questions about currency, the EU and NATO.
The one time a reporter pressed for an answer he is vilified and his resignation demanded.
I am heartily sick of any counter argument to independence being viewed as scaremongering or bullying.

To be honest Jamie, as one who has no time for any politicians I have to say that "Yes" posters remain all around the area where I live undamaged whilst " No " posters are torn down, spray painted or, in the case of larger ones in fields have sections cut out with blades. I promise you that on the occasions I have encountered large groups of no canvassers in Clydebank shopping centre this oap has viewed their behaviour as intimidating. That's just a personal opinion from one who has been enduring this neverendum for some 2 years now.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/

ravey said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=u7VNQih51T0#t=446

Jesus Christ !!!! I'm speechless. Russell "F...ing" Brand :huh:
No more posting from me on this topic.
Will just hope my No vote makes a difference and if not will get on with my life and hope my fears are unfounded.
Goodnight to everyone and good shaving :icon_razz:

Rebec911 said:

I'm sorry but that's complete bollocks!
It's not complete bollocks, it's completely true.

Salmond and his cronies continually get away with vacuous non answers to pertinent questions about currency, the EU and NATO.
Well if you want an example of something that is complete bollocks there you have it, but even if it wasn't how does that have any bearing on whether or not all the main parties have banded together? Utter crud.

The one time a reporter pressed for an answer he is vilified and his resignation demanded.
Let me guess, you get your information on this from further bias reporting. Nick Robinson did not "press for an answer" he was given a comprehensive answer and then heckled Alex Salmond, then edited the footage to make it look like Alex Salmond wouldn't give him an answer. That is a clear breach on BBC impartiality. You do not need to support the Yes campaign to understand that.

I am heartily sick of any counter argument to independence being viewed as scaremongering or bullying.
The only thing I've seen which isn't scaremongering are comments like "please don't vote yes, we'd miss you" e.g. this, or patronising messages like this. So whilst you may be heartily sick personally I'm okay with calling a spade a spade.

Rebec911 said:
Jesus Christ !!!! I'm speechless. Russell "F...ing" Brand :huh:

What does it matter who said it? The point he made is concrete and was made in counterpoint to the tripe that preceded it about "balance". There's no balance when the 4 (yes, even UKIP) main parties all have the same beliefs.

Anyway, not being a daily mail reader I like Russell Brand. Also, as Frankie Boyle pointed out, political satire is a very important and powerful tool for transparency, something which governments don't like and clamp down on in times of austerity. Just look at how the supposedly impartial BBC only have cuddly comedians like Michael MacIntyre who spend a whole set talking about how to pronounce names.

I take it the reporter that rebec is talking about is Nick Robinson, the man involved in the 'no biased edited interview scam'. Go to youtube an watch the full version. I'ma Yes voter because I can think for myself, I have nothing to lose by being independent, I remember what happened after the 1979 vote, and all the lies and scaremongering by Bitter Together has really ripped my knitting. I have noticed that people doing reasonably well and women who are just plain frightened are the ones most likely to vote no, but the amount of people with absolutely no future 'together' are in the majority around here. Nothing to lose but what the hellit can't be any worse than it is now. I am not anti anyone just pro my country...

The Wasp said:
I'ma Yes voter because I can think for myself, I have nothing to lose by being independent...

You (and most of us in the rest of the UK) have a heck of a lot to lose, actually. We're a small collection of islands which has yet to fully accept that we're a minor cog in the world now - the hangover from our days as a superpower pre-WWII (though the rot set in at the outbreak of the First World War 100 years ago) has yet to fully clear, and both Scotland and rUK would be even less significant after Independence; mere bit-part players. Let's face it, its perceptions of the UK abroad that influence policy of other nations towards us. When you have the Chinese saying we're an insignificant island no-one pays any attention to, and Mitt Romney saying were a small island with small houses that makes nothing anyone is interested in, you get an idea of how little the two great superpowers of the current era think of us. If Scotland goes independent, we'll all be even weaker and have less influence.

23tmaep.jpg

i5aqdx.jpg

20uo0fk.jpg

Friends used to think I was odd staying up all night at general elections when I was young. For several years I was a returning officer and had to announce the result.

I wonder how many people in Scotland will stay up tonight. My father in law was a Scot. My wife has a split personality.

Funnily enough I asked a couple of Tesco staff in Lymington yesterday what they thought about the referendum. "When is it?" Was the response. Says it all? Down here not many people show much interest. Finally one of the staff said. "If they want to go, why shoulndn't they?"

Truth is, most people are not really interested in politics. Until they feel directly affected. Passions run high in the press and among people on the internet where it has gone viral.

My flags are the only ones in Sway.

They are coming down tomorrow.

It's back to brushes then. And sport.

Have a good day in Scotland.

When will the human kind understand that one of the essential requirements in order to be a politician is the ability to tell fibs, I teach my daughter not to tell fibs, Mr Salmond don't have to do this as he has no children. Simples.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom