The future of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not prepared to ignore this now.

I listened to a passionate debate on Radio 5 last night when Scotland's young people questioned the Yes and No camps. It was brilliant.

I'm not going to say much. Just this.

I understand all the issues. And history.

If Scotland decides to go. I wish it's people well.

But I so want them to stay.

If they go, I will shed tears on the 19th. Just wanted to say it.

Greetings

I agree, some of the Great will be gone from Great Britain in the event of a yes vote, Scotland's contribution to the UK's (still remaining greatness) is and has been enormous.

What will the UK become if we are no longer united? The Kingdom?... not likely we already have one of those, the House of Saud, we certainly do not need another!

I too will mourn if independence is chosen.

Regards
Dick.

I really dislike the way Westminster and the big scare mongers are trying to influence the no vote, If they used these tactics during a general election they would be crucified as someone looking from the outside a neutral you can see the big English propaganda machine with it's wheels in full motion working and so can the yes vote, I just wish the whole campaign was kept inside Scotland because after all It's the Scottish people who are voting on the matter and no one else.

If they go, I wish them well - and then let's get on with the job of sorting the divorce settlements whilst retaining good relations with our neighbours.

I get the strong impression that thhere are not many people who have more than the slightest idea of the magnitude of the separation and divorce. It is so much more than sorting Scottish niggles with Westminster - and lord knws they have many! - but not as many as they would have if they split. If current Westminster rhetoric is anything to go by, it will be a messy divorce not an amicable one.

We will no longer be an island nation. Scotland will be the new Calais for illigal immigration to Un-UK. England's new Northern Border would be 'soft' for years to come, making Scotland the entry point of choice for so many unwanted activities.

At first, I foresee a lot of Royal flag waving in Englannd but eventually the weakening of the monarchy.

Americans will have to learn that Scotland is not in England!

What troubles me most is the closeness of the straw polls. If they finish up with a 51 - 49 vote for independence, how can a stable nation be formed? I'm praying to my political gods for a large majority - one way or the other.

If they stay in the Union, let's get the Scottish Question sorted in England's favour.

pugh-the-special-one said:
I just wish the whole campaign was kept inside Scotland because after all It's the Scottish people who are voting on the matter and no one else.

Very, very true, but the outcome effects many other people outside Scotland so it's fair, I think, that they try to influence the outcome. Westminster is driving folk to the 'yes' vote, I suspect.

Yes, it will be very sad if they choose to go and they will go with my best wishes no matter how much I have the nagging doubt that their future could be sold up the river for one man's megalomaniacal vanity project. I used to respect Alex Salmond but when I have seen him in debates he comes across as a blustering bully under the slightest scrutiny (as Nick Robinson from the BBC found out the other day).

That being said if the people of Scotland believe independance is the way forward then good luck to them. I don't really see how it changes the United Kingdom, I would imagine The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland becomes The United Kingdom of England, Wales and Northern Ireland? Still the United Kingdom.

Also I don't really see why the flag should change either, after all the Saltire of Saint Patrick is still in there? Plus up to 31st Dec 1800 we were The Kingdom of Great Britain (excluding Ireland completely as a separate Kingdom) and the flag then did not have Saint Patrick's Saltire included.

Either way it will be an opportunity for renewal for both countries in the even of a 'Yes' vote which I am still not sure will actually happen. Given the intimidation dished out by the 'Yes' campaign I wonder whether the privacy of the ballot box will bring a different result than when faced with a cadre of 'Yes' campaigners on your polling doorstep who are quite happy to call people traitors for holding a different view.

I was listening to Radio 4 yesterday and they played a clip of a lady in Edinburgh saying, and I quote '...so this time I will be voting Yes'. This time?!

I heartily agree with the point that I am not sure that people are seeing this as anything more than a General Election, which is a worry really. I just hope that people remember why the Act of Union passed in the first place (Scotland's bankruptcy) because based on the financial figures I have seen, independance doesn't make any financial sense when prescriptions, residential care and tertiary education are all free. Then factor in the reduction in oil revenue in just 3 years time (all oil gone in 35 years time) plus the fact that big corporations WILL leave Scotland because their credit ratings and therefore share price will crash I really fear for them.

Plus the ONLY currency option they will have is to keep the pound and the The Bank of England can make them pay whatever the hell it wants to as they will be over a barrel, no prospect of EU membership (Spain would always veto this because of the Basque regions) and it's starting to look a little like another vain Panama Expedition all over again.

I would like them to stay, but it's in their hands. There is no right/wrong as far as I am concerned.

If they do go, I hope that the people of Scotland realise that, in all likeliness, they're just going to get an Edinburgh version of Westminster. Politicians are politicians, no matter which side of Hadrians wall they reside.

Ian

Fido said:
I'm not prepared to ignore this now.

I listened to a passionate debate on Radio 5 last night when Scotland's young people questioned the Yes and No camps. It was brilliant.

I'm not going to say much. Just this.

I understand all the issues. And history.

If Scotland decides to go. I wish it's people well.

But I so want them to stay.

If they go, I will shed tears on the 19th. Just wanted to say it.

Thanks Fido, it will be one of the saddest days in my life if the referendum vote decides on independence and breaks up this great nation.
All I can hope for is that people take a long look at the emerging facts regarding the risks of going it alone and then make their decision.
I am tired of being told that all information from the Better together campaign is either bullying or scaremongering.
This campaign has created a bitterness between the two camps which I am afraid will not just disappear after the 19th.
I hope for a reconciliation of the Scottish people no matter the result but I fear this will take many, many years.

Here we go here's my Scotland Independence SOTD. The brush represents Scotland made by Scotsman Bill Jack, and the razor represents England made by Michael Waterhouse.

e7fcc8de-beae-4e5a-b50e-b0e2c2030084_zps8d5a07f4.jpg~original

IanM said:
I would like them to stay, but it's in their hands. There is no right/wrong as far as I am concerned.

If they do go, I hope that the people of Scotland realise that, in all likeliness, they're just going to get an Edinburgh version of Westminster. Politicians are politicians, no matter which side of Hadrians wall they reside.

Ian

How very true, politicians are politicians everywhere!

Here we go here's my Scotland Independence SOTD. The brush represents Scotland made by Scotsman Bill Jack, and the razor represents England made by Michael Waterhouse.

e7fcc8de-beae-4e5a-b50e-b0e2c2030084_zps8d5a07f4.jpg~original

Wow, this is stunning! Great work Jamie! The question is will Wales be next?!

As a half Scot (mothers side) I hope they see sense and vote to stay in the UK.

I heard a snippet on the radio the other day which stated if Scotland went Independent without the £ they would need between fifty and one hundred billion to support their new currency.

How true/accurate a figure it is I don't know but if its even close that's just scary.

mr..bean said:
IanM said:

Ian

How very true, politicians are politicians everywhere!

Wow, this is stunning! Great work Jamie! The question is will Wales be next?!

Although I'm leaning on the side of the nationalists I'm a nationalist with common sense Wales and Scotland both should remain part of the UK but with far greater powers as both those countries would be able to choose the government it wanted and not a self imposed Tory government that we are given including a Tory secretary of state who ends up basically shitting on us, the way forward is more power.

Ben88 said:
As a half Scot (mothers side) I hope they see sense and vote to stay in the UK.

I heard a snippet on the radio the other day which stated if Scotland went Independent without the £ they would need between fifty and one hundred billion to support their new currency.

How true/accurate a figure it is I don't know but if its even close that's just scary.

Yep!!! The Governor of the Bank of England stated that a independent Scotland would have to hold much larger reserves if it wished to use the pound without a currency union.
The conservative estimate for this is £21 Billion or £4000 for every Scottish Citizen:s

"sold up the river for one man's megalomaniacal vanity project. I used to respect Alex Salmond but when I have seen him in debates he comes across as a blustering bully under the slightest scrutiny (as Nick Robinson from the BBC found out the other day)."

We are not voting for Alex Salmond, we are voting for Independance. Strange our different perceptions. I thought Salmond put Robinson in his place.

"Given the intimidation dished out by the 'Yes' campaign "

What ? I live near Glasgow, work in Edinburgh and know no-one and have not heard of anyone being intimidated.
The BBC and most of the press is biased towards "No", so don't believe everything you hear/read.

"I heartily agree with the point that I am not sure that people are seeing this as anything more than a General Election, which is a worry really."

Do you realise how condescending that sounds ?

"I hope that the people of Scotland realise that, in all likeliness, they're just going to get an Edinburgh version of Westminster. Politicians are politicians, no matter which side of Hadrians wall they reside."

The Scottish Parliament have done a better job for Scotland than Westminster ever have. Politicians may be politicians, but at least they'll be Scottish Mp's voting on Scottish issues, and I will have a direct control via my vote over them.
As it is the 5.3 million of us are totally swamped by the 56 million English. My vote in the UK elections means nothing.

Did you know there are more pandas in Scotland than Westminster tory MP's ? There are 2 pandas ! Tis true, not a joke.

I am not anti-English, I would just like to have a real say in my daughters and my own destiny.

I guess we all want more say in the running of our country and I understand the frustrations people feel about how Scotland is governed.
Ultimately it comes down to each individual weighing up the risk/benefits of independence and then making their decision.
To me the risks are to great and I am unwilling to make that leap of faith.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom