The future of the UK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
UKRob said:
Can we have a sub-forum for the anti-monarchists, nationalists, separatists, marxists, anarchists, whingeing and generally bitter and twisted?

@Doggycam - you don't have any tory MPs in Scotland - WTF are you moaning about?

Come on Rob - we're all coming to terms with what the result means for all of the UK - asking for all those with a different view to you to bugger off is hardly helping heal wounds, neither is condescendingly referring to a broadly honourable, principled and dignified 44.7% of Scotland in such sneering tones. I'm glad that No won as, despite the fact that I'm convinced that Westminster will screw Scotland over, I think we're all probably better-off staying together - even for Scotland, I think being independent would have brought with it much greater hazards than it faces in the event of Cameron probably going-back on his pledge.

JohnnyO said:
Purely as a matter of information, is David Mundell MP not a conservative ? I believe he still represents the Dumfriesshire area.

JohnnyO. :icon_razz:/

Fair enough Johnny - Cameron has one MP to lose if he sticks two fingers up at Scotland, but he'd probably gain more than that in England from the "we hate the Jocks" types.

Ben88 said:
Doggycam said:
Next change needs to be that wannabe MPs must have at least five years work experience, taking home a working persons wage/salary.

Another change I'd like to see would be a requirement that a wannabe MP has a coal miner, steelworker, farm labourer, ship builder within two generations in his/her ancestry.

Church of England dis-established

1. Very doubtful, no matter what party are in charge (Labour, Tory etc) it's more about who you are, where you went to school. It has been for a long time and I'm afraid it will remain that way for quite a while yet I'm sure.

2. Even less likely than your first point.

3. I'm assuming you are in no way religious? Christianity has always played a big part in this country and whether you like it or not that will continue. The suggestion of this I find ludicrous.

However, I appreciate that we are all entitled to our own views on such things.

I think those suggestions were from Carl, not Doggycam.

chrisbell said:
JohnnyO said:
Purely as a matter of information, is David Mundell MP not a conservative ? I believe he still represents the Dumfriesshire area.

Fair enough Johnny - Cameron has one MP to lose if he sticks two fingers up at Scotland, but he'd probably gain more than that in England from the "we hate the Jocks" types.

There are so many Englishers living in the Borders, it's a moot point!

What, constituency boundaries vary according to the perceived nationalities of the populace ? On that basis I wonder how that extrapolates to thenumber of EU citizens domiciled, even temporarily, in Scottish constituencies who voted, whether yes or no.

UKRob said:
Can we have a sub-forum for the anti-monarchists, nationalists, separatists, marxists, anarchists, whingeing and generally bitter and twisted?

@Doggycam - you don't have any tory MPs in Scotland - WTF are you moaning about?

You are the sunshine of my life ......

Ben88 said:
Doggycam said:
Next change needs to be that wannabe MPs must have at least five years work experience, taking home a working persons wage/salary.

Another change I'd like to see would be a requirement that a wannabe MP has a coal miner, steelworker, farm labourer, ship builder within two generations in his/her ancestry.

1. Very doubtful, no matter what party are in charge (Labour, Tory etc) it's more about who you are, where you went to school. It has been for a long time and I'm afraid it will remain that way for quite a while yet I'm sure.

3. I'm assuming you are in no way religious? Christianity has always played a big part in this country and whether you like it or not that will continue. The suggestion of this I find ludicrous.

Assuming 88 is your year of birth, Ben, you are more than old enough to understand the meaning of words such as "satire", "dis-establishment" and "secular government".

Bechet45 said:
Assuming 88 is your year of birth, Ben, you are more than old enough to understand the meaning of words such as "satire", "dis-establishment" and "secular government".

Sadly, Carl, it isn't just Americans who can't differentiate between a state religion and a church free to practice in a secularly-governed country...:icon_rolleyes:

Bechet45 said:
UKRob said:

You are the sunshine of my life ......

Ben88 said:
Doggycam said:

Apologies, my editing of the quotes seems to have caused some confusion!

Indeed, 88. I do and even though the comments were read in haste whilst at work I still respectfully disagree with your comments. Initially I had read your text as a 'parting'.

Again.....each to their own!

chrisbell said:
UKRob said:

Come on Rob - we're all coming to terms with what the result means for all of the UK - asking for all those with a different view to you to bugger off is hardly helping heal wounds, neither is condescendingly referring to a broadly honourable, principled and dignified 44.7% of Scotland in such sneering tones. I'm glad that No won as, despite the fact that I'm convinced that Westminster will screw Scotland over, I think we're all probably better-off staying together - even for Scotland, I think being independent would have brought with it much greater hazards than it faces in the event of Cameron probably going-back on his pledge.

Chris I expect better from you. I'm not asking anyone to bugger off - my comments were light hearted - or so I thought they appeared to be. I object to your statement that I'm being condescending as well.

Actually you have pissed me off considerably more than any of the posts that you belatedly decided to give your opinion on.

Of course, there was another winner yesterday.

Bet365 were offering 9/4 (that's 3.25 in new money) on the Yes percentage being between 40% and 45%.

Lumped on at 9pm and then watched the percentages jiggling around this morning.

Might treat myself to a slap up meal at Sat Bains' gaff.

UKRob said:
chrisbell said:
UKRob said:

Chris I expect better from you. I'm not asking anyone to bugger off - my comments were light hearted - or so I thought they appeared to be. I object to your statement that I'm being condescending as well.

Actually you have pissed me off considerably more than any of the posts that you belatedly decided to give your opinion on.

I apologise for annoying you, Rob, but, as we all know, tone is a difficult to transmit successfully on the internet, and (to me) you came across as being rather scornful. I can't think I'm alone in finding references to "anti-monarchists", the "bitter and twisted" and "anarchists" in the same list rather provocative. Anyway, what's done is done now.

UKRob said:
I can only assume that in the event of a No vote, the people who promote this rubbish will decide they cannot possibly remain as part of such a terrible nation and FF*** Off somewhere else.

UKRob said:
So tell me - you as an individual - will you decide to find a better country to live in if the vote goes against your wishes?

To be fair he didn't say bugger.

Can we close this thread now? I've stayed away for a few days and reading back this has been a hugely divisive and emotive issue even in a shaving forum!

The people of Scotland have made their choice and even Salmond has given up now. Can we put this to bed now please and move forward discussing the important issues of the day like shaving bollocks instead of talking them?!

Freedom for Glasgow! and Dundee! and two other places near Glasgow!

I'm going to vote for a Party that promises to settle the Lothian Question in England's favour in the next Parliament. Except I bet there won't be one and all the other Independence Promises will trickle away like sand through fingers of Party Politics till nothing is left of the 18th except memories and Westminster carries on business as usual.

Pay your taxes like good little citizens and don't have needs, wants or desires of our National Government - they are too busy protected the status quo, the Establishment and their own little party games. Bless 'em!

Still, my pension fund is worth a lot more today than it was on the 17th.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom