SOTD: Saturday 16th Sep 2017 - Friday 22nd Sep 2017

ATT SE 1
Schlick Proline
The Duke 3 Best
M W F
Lucky Tiger
L'Occitane Vetyver EDT
View attachment 29193
Post shave felt great today so didn't bother with the aloe or balm. Couldn't resist a spray of the L'Occitane Vetyver.....wonderful stuff !!!

Enjoy your day fellas
What's the performance like with the L'Occitane Vetyver Pat?

What's the performance like with the L'Occitane Vetyver Pat?

The L'Occitane is the only Vetyver I've tried Ross so I can't compare to others. The projection is good with the longevity being around three hours on me before it starts to dull down. The scent is tremendous!!!
Wouldn't hesitate to get another when my bottle runs out.

Cheers

PIrate Day
1f3f52e285a705a072ca6bdb73aa7747.jpg

Tuesday's shave

Pre-shave - Warm shower, Wright's Cold Tar Soap face wash, followed by BBA Pre-Shave Oil.
Razor - Supply-SE (V1.0).
Blade - Personna PTFE (Day 3).
Soap - Jack Black Supreme Cream Shaving Cream.
Bowl - Little Wren.
Brush - Simpsons Chubby 2 Synthetic Badger.
Post shave - Myrsol "Plastic shave" Post Shave Splash, followed by The Bluebeards Revenge Post Shave Balm.

A very enjoyable 3 pass shave, with no hassle and a BBS finish.

I am still struggling to get a decent lather with the Jack Black Supreme Cream Shaving Cream. The application of the cream does protect the skin, however, I noticed more blade feel this morning from the Supply-SE than before, and I can only put this down at the moment to the lack of lather. That said, great shave no issues.

All the best,

Chris

G'day Barry. I can indeed confirm that the phenomena you describe is very common with vintage blades. There are many theories on this matter, and I have put some time and analysis into the issue, including laboratory analysis and observation (a perk of my profession). My conclusion is that it is not due to micro-corrosion of the blade edge, but a build-up/deterioration of the synthetic coating and/or other detritus that has accumulated on the blade edge over time. It sloughs away after the first shave, and the quality of the shave usually improves. To mitigate this issue, I lightly strop a new blade a few times on a hard rubber mat lubricated with lather.
Regarding the blades, the Super Stainless blades were prominent in the mid-late '60s, and came in several variants. The were succeeded by the renounced "Spoiler" in around '74 as far as I can ascertain. A personal favourite of mine in the Super Stainless range is the "Aussie Spoiler", made in my home country of Australia. All the blades listed are excellent performers.
Here are some examples:-

Thank you for taking the time to give such an interesting response @TomG . Very informative.

Great choice on the final scent (Marley Herod), @vassili . Now all we need is your secret family recipe for home made strawberry wine ;).
Not really sure you would want it? It's one of the home made wines that can have a nasty side, ie, it can and does make people a bit aggressive, it's not just me, the wife finds it and a couple of friends.
The raspberry version doesn't and is much much better. Oh, and it's the recipe from cjj berry's book.

SFaEl7AB_o.jpg

Shavemac Americana D01 Silvertip
Parker 65R
Rapira Super Stainless (1)
PAA 11235
Thayers Rose, Nivea Men Cream & 4711 aftershave and cologne

This razor continues to excel for me, a superb shaving and one of the most efficient and comfortable shaves I have had. Like a hot knife through butter. I had written off Parker razors but I am eating my words now. What better combination than 11235, 4711 and a Shavemac? just lather and post shave heaven.

SOTD: 190917
SOTD 180917 5.jpg

Blade: Feather Soft Guard #3
Razor: Cobra Classic (On Loan)
Soap: L&L harmony
Brush: Maseto 30mm 2band Finest
Bowl: Steve Woodhead
EDT: L'Occitaine cade

Shave #3 with this razor and what a beauty she is. I am now happy to move up a gear and try the Feather Pro with my next outing. I think this will make the world of difference with the performance of this razor.
BBS was achieved with a 3 pass shave and following touch-ups.

L&L Harmony is a wonderful soap brown in colour from the Dragons Blood turning a lovely slick, cushioned white when lathered.
Maseto as usual performed amazingly as a barrier of badger was splattered over my face.
Finishing with the Thayers and a generous spray of Cade.

Enjoy your shaves! :)

Back
Top Bottom