Thursday, September 15, 2016

Shavemac 400 Silvertip D01 2-Band
Wickham's 1912 Cashmere
The OneBlade
GEM PTFE #1
Barrister and Mann Reserve Cool
Gold Bond Green Lotion

IMG_4770-XL.jpg

Perfectly good point Looney - it might be an unnecessary step, and I wouldn't do it with ordinary soap...I just added it with my usual rinse to get rid of the shaving soap remnants and because of it's antiseptic properties. My thinking was that, while the shaving/exfoliation process removes dirt etc, it also makes the skin more susceptible to infection, particularly with minor cuts/nicks; that's one of the main purposes of AS splash: to close the pores and provide an antiseptic. But splash can be hit and miss. After I used the CT soap once, it felt really great, so I just kept in my 'ritual'. I don't do it every time, but I miss out that step, I do notice a difference;)
Fair do's it's funny how we fall into certain things, but find that they work for us, even though they don't seem to make logical sense! On the subject of coal tar though, this article is a little worrying! Not sure I'd want to use it; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...o-HAS-trusted-skin-treatment-disappeared.html

EDIT: Just looked at the specific soap you mentioned and due to the EU directive stated in the article, the soap you use doesn't even have Coal Tar in it, it is just scented to smell like coal tar... o_O

Fair do's it's funny how we fall into certain things, but find that they work for us, even though they don't seem to make logical sense! On the subject of coal tar though, this article is a little worrying! Not sure I'd want to use it; http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...o-HAS-trusted-skin-treatment-disappeared.html

EDIT: Just looked at the specific soap you mentioned and due to the EU directive stated in the article, the soap you use doesn't even have Coal Tar in it, it is just scented to smell like coal tar... o_O

Yes, Wright's soap was reformulated to use Tea Tree oil instead to retain it's natural antiseptic properties;)

On the article, the emphasis seems to be that there have been some scare stories based on early research (1985) about people who worked directly with coal tar itself, but that there is no evidence that products using extracts of coal tar in small amounts have any issues...the medical community are more concerned that a tried and tested and relatively cheap treatment for common skin problems seems to disappearing. I have used T-Gel shampoo recently which is coal tar based, and it worked brilliantly for a scalp infection I got as a result of wearing a hat during a hot and sweaty wild camping trip for a couple of days. I'd be comfortable using it, but the real stuff is getting more expensive. Wrights soap is not the real deal but is antiseptic and very cheap!

Last edited:

They use tea tree oil and coal tar fragrance (real coal tar soap is now banned in the EU)..however i have bought and used an original version from Russia and i have to be honest it made my face look like a Baboons arse with major sun burn:mad:!..i still use the modern version, as Tea tree oil is still a good antiseptic,plus kind to my skin and it doesn't smell like ten year old Creosote that has past it's sell buy date, like the Russian version.

They use tea tree oil and coal tar fragrance (real coal tar soap is now banned in the EU)..however i have bought and used an original version from Russia and i have to be honest it made my face look like a Baboons arse with major sun burn:mad:!..i still use the modern version, as Tea tree oil is still a good antiseptic,plus kind to my skin and it doesn't smell like ten year old Creosote that has past it's sell buy date, like the Russian version.
Confirmation on the Tea Tree oil!;)

Back
Top Bottom