SOTD Saturday 10th to Friday 16th September 2016

SOTD: 15th September 2016.
View attachment 20743
Shaving recipe for today.
  • warm shower./ Cien Green Kick Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.
  • Pre-Shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus cream.
  • Razor: Pearl-SBF-11.(4)
  • Blade:Rapira Platinum Lux. (1)
  • Brush: Semogue 1305.
  • Cream: proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus.+ 4 drops of Glycerin added to mixing bowl.
  • Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.
  • Witch Hazel/Arko (Fresh) Aftershave Balm.
  • Yesterday evening i had a sort out in my shaving den to see what i hadn't used for a while and right at the back of the draw was a sample tube of Proraso menthol and eucalyptus cream which i totally forgot i had, anyway i've use the soap/croap which i've always had excellent results, so today i tried the cream for the first time.. also after reading Greybeard's post yesterday on his favourite pre-shave i tried using a small amount of the cream as a pre-shave and hey!..it worked excellently..my thursday 3 pass "green" shave was another superb one, with no errors to report...
  • Enjoy your day gentlemen.:cool:
Your brush looks nicely broken in P Fox and with no errors to report, nice one.

My SOTD posts are going to be far less frequent...After trying many preps, pre-shaves, soaps, creams, crops, splashes balms, razors, blades and brushes (within my budget), today's SOTD reflects my personal favourite shaving setup. It's the one that provides the most consistently great shave that feels great in anticipation, action and outcome, and these are the products I keep going back to. I hope to find some new and outstanding products in the future, and if I do I'll no doubt shout about them, but in the meantime here's my personal ultimate shave setup (so far;))...

Prep: Warm Glyce soap wash - I find this better than hot shower and could probably replace a pre-shave cream or even shaving soap (and I hate a steamed up mirror!)
Pre-shave: Proraso Green - zingy and refreshing and really seems to prep the beard well (Myrsol Emulsion close 2nd, no pre-shave oil has ever worked for me at all)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Denali (croap) - Works brilliantly with the Proraso green pre-shave (The Fat and Tabac are close, but Denali edges it on the scent and the cool feel - it seems that tallow and lanolin based creams have it!)
Brush: Cadman Custom ("Burki Bell") Finest Badger - Fantastic backbone but still very soft and I much prefer the bulb/dome style to the fan type brushes as I find I can paint soap on without it flopping around as much. It's also great for loading the brush from the pot. (The Duke 3 Best a very close runner up and Razorock Plissoft by far the best for value...though mine hasn't weathered some aggressive lathering in my scuttle...seems to have lost some density in the middle)
Razor: EJDE89 - seems to give me the smoothest most comfortable shave with any blade (customised with the Braveheart handle for grip makes it even better)...Merkur 34cHD very close 2nd
Blade: Voskhod - difficult selection this; Personna Platinums come very close
Splash: Proraso Green, yet again - just classic barbershop smell that sums up wet shaving for me (I find it difficult to walk past my AS collection without picking up the bottle for a quick aromatherapy fix!). Floid Original, Floid Blue, Pinaud Clubman, Tabac Original and several others all quite close. (Old Spice would be on the list if it was anything like it used to be!)
Balm: Geo. F Trumper's West indian limes Skin Food - nothing gets close for face-feel after an hour or so and for the rest of the day. (Proraso and Nivea balms quite close)

Other: I now always throw in a warm wash with Wright's Coal Tar soap straight after the final pass, then a cold rinse and alum rub. The alum, apart from doing it's job as an astringent, helps me check the smoothness of the shave and areas of potential burn...it's like running a geiger counter over my face!

So there ya go...continue to have great shaves ya'll!;):)

View attachment 20740
Great to see you've find your ultimate (for now!). I'm a little surprised that you wash your face after shaving though! Your face has just gone through a nearly full exfoliation with lathering, shaving etc, washing it straight after that will just strip it down even further... Personally would skip that step, but that's me and this works for you, so I'll shut up now ;)

Great to see you've find your ultimate (for now!). I'm a little surprised that you wash your face after shaving though! Your face has just gone through a nearly full exfoliation with lathering, shaving etc, washing it straight after that will just strip it down even further... Personally would skip that step, but that's me and this works for you, so I'll shut up now ;)

Perfectly good point Looney - it might be an unnecessary step, and I wouldn't do it with ordinary soap...I just added it with my usual rinse to get rid of the shaving soap remnants and because of it's antiseptic properties. My thinking was that, while the shaving/exfoliation process removes dirt etc, it also makes the skin more susceptible to infection, particularly with minor cuts/nicks; that's one of the main purposes of AS splash: to close the pores and provide an antiseptic. But splash can be hit and miss. After I used the CT soap once, it felt really great, so I just kept in my 'ritual'. I don't do it every time, but I miss out that step, I do notice a difference;)

Back
Top Bottom