Thursday 15th September 2016
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM Pushbutton
Blade: GEM Stainless Coated
Brush: RazoRock Plissoft
Soap: Arko Stick
Aftershave: Astral Cream (soft)
EDT: L'Eau D'Issey Pour Homme Intense

This is the second time that I have gone to post a S.O.T.D. item only to find the previous days post still ghosted and not posted, it could not possibly be my fault, clearly it is the work of the internet fairies, those mischevious little buggers get into your computer and cause trouble; they are close relatives of the tackle bag fairies, those little shits go into your fishing bag after you have packed it away neatly and tie knots in everything!

Regards
Dick.

15.9.16.JPG

SOTD: 15th September 2016.
Thursday's Shave..JPG
Shaving recipe for today.
  • warm shower./ Cien Green Kick Shower Gel & Shampoo / warm wet flannel to my face.
  • Pre-Shave: Proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus cream.
  • Razor: Pearl-SBF-11.(4)
  • Blade:Rapira Platinum Lux. (1)
  • Brush: Semogue 1305.
  • Cream: proraso Menthol and Eucalyptus.+ 4 drops of Glycerin added to mixing bowl.
  • Warm wet flannel/ cold wet flannel to rinse my face.
  • Witch Hazel/Arko (Fresh) Aftershave Balm.
  • Yesterday evening i had a sort out in my shaving den to see what i hadn't used for a while and right at the back of the draw was a sample tube of Proraso menthol and eucalyptus cream which i totally forgot i had, anyway i've use the soap/croap which i've always had excellent results, so today i tried the cream for the first time.. also after reading Greybeard's post yesterday on his favourite pre-shave i tried using a small amount of the cream as a pre-shave and hey!..it worked excellently..my thursday 3 pass "green" shave was another superb one, with no errors to report...
  • Enjoy your day gentlemen.:cool:

Last edited:
AO4xUsmh.png

Had a thoroughly enjoyable shave even though I was still half asleep!

That's pretty ingenious, to use a salt shaker as stick container. Well done, sir, well done. :)
Greetings

I wish I was that clever, they were made for shaving sticks, they were common up until the 1950's and of all the mens travel grooming sets had two in them, one contained a small shaving brush and the other a soap stick, they also had a two piece chromed elongated version for a toothbrush.

Regards
Dick.

Thur 15th Sept.

Omega 11137 boar
De Vergulde Hand soap
ER 1924 + S/S Handle
Gem PTFE [3 ] + 1/2 Spine Shim
Alum Rub/Rinse off
Myrsol Antesol A/S

Have taken to using the 1924 with a long handle, which seems to help me control the razor better,also the additional weight seems to help the shaving process. Today the shave was unbelievably smooth
for a 1924 , and as to be expected very close. There was no post shave irritation, and alum did not sting at all.
Tomorrow have to use a 1914 ,as these two razors vie with each other in my favourites list. Though I have not used a 1914 with anything but a standard handle.

IMG_0845.jpg

Think that soap stick containers have the holes for airing after use

Yea, some have, others don't. Usually, they aren't too tight, so they get some air anyway.

Greetings

I wish I was that clever, they were made for shaving sticks, they were common up until the 1950's and of all the mens travel grooming sets had two in them, one contained a small shaving brush and the other a soap stick, they also had a two piece chromed elongated version for a toothbrush.

Regards
Dick.

Oh, they are special. That's even more awesome.

My SOTD posts are going to be far less frequent...After trying many preps, pre-shaves, soaps, creams, crops, splashes balms, razors, blades and brushes (within my budget), today's SOTD reflects my personal favourite shaving setup. It's the one that provides the most consistently great shave that feels great in anticipation, action and outcome, and these are the products I keep going back to. I hope to find some new and outstanding products in the future, and if I do I'll no doubt shout about them, but in the meantime here's my personal ultimate shave setup (so far;))...

Prep: Warm Glyce soap wash - I find this better than hot shower and could probably replace a pre-shave cream or even shaving soap (and I hate a steamed up mirror!)
Pre-shave: Proraso Green - zingy and refreshing and really seems to prep the beard well (Myrsol Emulsion close 2nd, no pre-shave oil has ever worked for me at all)
Soap: Phoenix & Beau Denali (croap) - Works brilliantly with the Proraso green pre-shave (The Fat and Tabac are close, but Denali edges it on the scent and the cool feel - it seems that tallow and lanolin based creams have it!)
Brush: Cadman Custom ("Burki Bell") Finest Badger - Fantastic backbone but still very soft and I much prefer the bulb/dome style to the fan type brushes as I find I can paint soap on without it flopping around as much. It's also great for loading the brush from the pot. (The Duke 3 Best a very close runner up and Razorock Plissoft by far the best for value...though mine hasn't weathered some aggressive lathering in my scuttle...seems to have lost some density in the middle)
Razor: EJDE89 - seems to give me the smoothest most comfortable shave with any blade (customised with the Braveheart handle for grip makes it even better)...Merkur 34cHD very close 2nd
Blade: Voskhod - difficult selection this; Personna Platinums come very close
Splash: Proraso Green, yet again - just classic barbershop smell that sums up wet shaving for me (I find it difficult to walk past my AS collection without picking up the bottle for a quick aromatherapy fix!). Floid Original, Floid Blue, Pinaud Clubman, Tabac Original and several others all quite close. (Old Spice would be on the list if it was anything like it used to be!)
Balm: Geo. F Trumper's West indian limes Skin Food - nothing gets close for face-feel after an hour or so and for the rest of the day. (Proraso and Nivea balms quite close)

Other: I now always throw in a warm wash with Wright's Coal Tar soap straight after the final pass, then a cold rinse and alum rub. The alum, apart from doing it's job as an astringent, helps me check the smoothness of the shave and areas of potential burn...it's like running a geiger counter over my face!

So there ya go...continue to have great shaves ya'll!;):)

View attachment 20740
Not too infrequent, @Greybeard . I enjoy your posts; as others do, I'm sure.

Back
Top Bottom