S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th August to Friday 15th August 2014

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Santa Maria Novella pre-shave
Soap: Grandstaff Kokum & Mango butter
Brush: Omega boar 10005
Razor: Gillette Red Tip
Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (2)
After: Barbershop Bay Rum, St. James Mandarin & Patchouli ASB

All the ingredients mixed really well this morning. Not much of a fan of Silver Blue blades but matched with this Red Tip razor brought out the best of both partners. Lovely close shave which I don't usually get with the Red Tip.

Started off face lathering and it was great for the first pass but ran out of soap after the first pass so had to load again for the second pass and build on my face again. This boar is a little too stiff for building a face lather twice but it didn't seem to make my face sore. For the third pass I built lather in the bowl. I wish I'd just done my usual bowl lathering now.

Great post shave conditioning and set for the day. Have a good one folks.

SOTD20140813_zpsa4e0c771.jpg

Prep: Hot wash, Proraso Pre.
Soap: Prof Blighty's Sandalwood
Brush: My trusty Vie-Long horse hair.
Razor: Edwin Jagger 89
Blade: Gillette 7 Oclock Green.

Nice 4 pass shave super smooth today with a small amount of feedback from the alum, as close to BBS as I have ever been. It may be time to try out my Slim adjustable soon... well.... when I can pluck up courage.

Jim

Wednesday

Noxzema foam
GEM OCMM
GEM blade
Blue Stratos AS

One of those shaves where I had about 5 minutes to get the job done. Some excellent Noxzema foam and two passes with the OCMM and the job was done, and done well!

Prep-Hot water splash
Soap- B&M Seville
Brush- SOC
Razor- Muhle R89
Blade- Polsilver [5]
Post- Speick AS

Had slight trouble building lather with the boar even though I squeezed water out and the B&M being a 'thirsty' soap the lather in the mug was too thin, so in went in a additional small dollop; result a lovely creamy lather that helped produce a BBS. :icon_razz:

Greetings

Wednesday 13th August 2014
Prep: Shower
Razor: Henckels Friodur 5/8
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Cream: T&H No. 10
Aftershave: Givenchy Gentleman

My first shave with this razor which only arrived in the post today; my best straight shave to date. I think the first thing I noticed was the narrower 5/8ths blade (compared to my other razor which is a 6/8ths) makes it easier to manoeuvre around my face and it seems to mask the face less, making it a little easier to see what I was doing. It is also a generally lighter, more delicate razor, which for an absolute tyro like myself seems to me to be an advantage

I am sure experienced straight shavers will laugh at this statement and I am sure with hundreds of shaves under ones belt the blade width matters a whole lot less.

This is a very noisy razor whereas my Joseph Elliot carbon razor is virtually silent; is this because this razor is stainless or because the blade is narrower or perhaps thinner? It is similar to the noise an SE lather Catcher makes whereas the Micromatics are more or less silent.

A lovely little razor and I am really thrilled with the result and to round it off my son called round unexpectedly and took me out for a smashing lunch.........a real treat for a P.O.P. (poor old pensioner!)

Regards
Dick.

IMG_0578.JPG

Wednesday

Evening, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Lidl's Cien Men Cartridge system
Blade: Cartridge (13)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Super Max Classic
Aftershave: Trophy

jim3rg said:
It may be time to try out my Slim adjustable soon... well.... when I can pluck up courage.

Jim

Just set the Slim on #3-4 to start with, which is a tad milder than your EJ. It will take a few shaves to fgure out any technique tweaking, Make sure you give the TTO a final 1/4 turn to lock the head.

Back
Top Bottom