S.O.T.D. Saturday 9th August to Friday 15th August 2014

jim3rg said:
Pre: Soap and water wash, Proraso pre.
Soap: Prof Blighty's Sandalwood
Brush: Vie-Long
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable (set to 3)
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.

First time with the adjustable, incredibly close shave but some irritation which is down to the new learning curve and poor technique and also one nick under my nose which I think was caused by the end of the blade. I maybe was applying too much pressure. Also I don't usually shave every day as my beard grows so slow, so this being the second straight day of shaving probably didn't help.

Having a break tomorrow to let things settle then will try again Saturday morning. I am happy with the result but could do better.

Jim

Just a thought Jim. I find the Slim very mild and usually have it on quite a high setting of 7. Maybe setting a low value of 3 has made you apply too much pressure in order to cut properly. Try increasing the setting and that might allow you use less pressure.
Think it's just a case of experimenting to find your setting.

Shave on.

Thursday xiv August, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Zirh Alpha Hydroxy Face Wash
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Invisible Edge Horn Handle
Soap: Fitjar Slåtterøy Shave Stick
Razor: Punktal
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux #2
Fragrance: Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Result: Increasingly impressed and disappointed simultaneously. Impressed with the Fitjar, but disappointed that when it's gone, it's gone.

All the best!

Jon

jds said:
Thursday xiv August, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Zirh Alpha Hydroxy Face Wash
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Invisible Edge Horn Handle
Soap: Fitjar Slåtterøy Shave Stick
Razor: Punktal
Blade: Rapira Platinum Lux #2
Fragrance: Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur

Result: Increasingly impressed and disappointed simultaneously. Impressed with the Fitjar, but disappointed that when it's gone, it's gone.

All the best!

Jon

Was thinking that myself when I was using my Fitjar Frost Rose cream today.
Will be sad when it's gone :icon_cry2:

fancontroller said:
jim3rg said:
Pre: Soap and water wash, Proraso pre.
Soap: Prof Blighty's Sandalwood
Brush: Vie-Long
Blade: Gillette 7 O'clock Yellow.

First time with the adjustable, incredibly close shave but some irritation which is down to the new learning curve and poor technique and also one nick under my nose which I think was caused by the end of the blade. I maybe was applying too much pressure. Also I don't usually shave every day as my beard grows so slow, so this being the second straight day of shaving probably didn't help.

Having a break tomorrow to let things settle then will try again Saturday morning. I am happy with the result but could do better.

Jim

Just a thought Jim. I find the Slim very mild and usually have it on quite a high setting of 7. Maybe setting a low value of 3 has made you apply too much pressure in order to cut properly. Try increasing the setting and that might allow you use less pressure.

Shave on.

This may be the problem I can move it on a couple of notches and see what happens on Saturday morning, thanks for the suggestion.

Jim

jim3rg said:

First time with the adjustable,

Jim

Shave on.
[/quote]

This may be the problem I can move it on a couple of notches and see what happens on Saturday morning, thanks for the suggestion.

Jim
[/quote]

Not a bad idea to bump the setting up a few numbers, once you figure out the angle of attack with the Slim. This can take a few shaves to get right. Its gonna be different from your EJ, and the lower setting to begin with can make things easier to start with.

Just to mention, my magic number is #4, which does leave me with a smooth face.

Have confidence in the Slim providing you a nice shave,

Martin

Thursday, August 14th, 2014

Thursday, August 14th, 2014

176161d1408018450-sun-august-10th-sat-august-16th-sotd-14082014.jpg

Koch & Schäfer Kama 42, 4/8 Half Hollow, Irish Point

• Pre-shave: Prep Cream
  • Soap: Tabac Original Shaving Soap
  • Brush: Frank Shaving Synthetic Hair Brush - Knot 22mm
  • Bowl: Gerby Bowl
  • Strop: Mastro Livi Loom Strop and Hand Palm Stropping
  • Razor: Koch & Schäfer Kama 42, 4/8 Half Hollow, Irish Point
  • Post-Shave: Argan Oil
  • After Shave: Floïd The Genuine After Shave

Cold water splash
Martin de Candre Unscented
Shavemac 177 Silvertip
ATT M2 Kronos
Personna Lab Blue (2)
Floïd Balsamo Dopobarba

This Personna Lab (from an 'old' salonsupplystore batch) is not as sharp is I remember them. Perhaps it's an odd sub-par blade, or perhaps I've outgrown the Labs? To be continued...

Thursday

Evening, everybody.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Lidl's Cien Men Cartridge system
Blade: Cartridge (14)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Palmolive
Aftershave: Sierran Breeze

Krahn straight razor German ground
C&E sienna soap
NF tubby 2
Coral skin food
[attachment=11430]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408045396243.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408045396243.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 26
Drink: Dark & Spicy - Cockspur Rum, Lime, Tabasco & Old Jamaican Ginger Beer
Music: Guana Batz

IMG_6507.JPG

After a cracking Caribbean lunch of Jerk Chicken with Rice & Pea, I fancied something much the same to drink, so went for some good Barbados rum.

For my shave ...

Bulldog Face Wash
Wickham's Spice Trade (Hard Soap)
Pure Badger 23mm
Some bizarre gadget ... see picture
Permasharp Stainless [2]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Alcolado Glacial

Face Lathered
One Pass - WTG

In all honesty, I didn't need much of a shave after last night's 1914 shave, so opted for an experimental shave tonight.

I have been lent a folding razor which takes a DE blade. It was no doubt a hair trimmer or nape scraper, but it looked like fun so I shaved with it. It's a (poor) open comb on a folding razor mechanism ... and shaved just like I thought it would, like a poor open comb.

One pass, I got away with it.

I'm possibly a little raggy, but it'll all pick up tomorrow with a decent shave from ... oh, I don't know ... a Gillette Guard, quite possibly.

I wouldn't say fun or enjoyed, but it was an interesting experience; and like a poor open comb, I'll leave it at that. It's no DE equivalent of a Durham Duplex, that's for sure. I think even a shavette was more satisfying.

Poor, but not without results.

Back
Top Bottom