S.O.T.D Saturday 29th March to Friday 4th April 2014

Randomangle said:
Is that a recent brush? I like the way it has a bit of a bloom which is something I miss since I stopped using badger.

It's not a recent brush, but I don't think it's been used much. I bought it for my brother, but he ended up preferring the cheap Erasmic bristle brush. I've used it a handful of times since then - it still has a new feel to it. It's called "Imitation Badger", which I take to be boar and something else. It definitely has a softer feel than purely boar.

What have you been using? Synthetic or boar? I've yet to give the synthetics a try.

mulligano said:
Randomangle said:
Is that a recent brush? I like the way it has a bit of a bloom which is something I miss since I stopped using badger.

It's not a recent brush, but I don't think it's been used much. I bought it for my brother, but he ended up preferring the cheap Erasmic bristle brush. I've used it a handful of times since then - it still has a new feel to it. It's called "Imitation Badger", which I take to be boar and something else. It definitely has a softer feel than purely boar.

What have you been using? Synthetic or boar? I've yet to give the synthetics a try.

Currently using the Plisson synthetic after using badger and boar. It's a great brush but I miss the splay of the boar - the synthetic does splay but is more springy, which I'm just getting used to. I miss the organic bloom though, which if your brush is a mix explains the look of it. I recently got a Semogue 610 but have found it too small, so I think I'll be soon getting a SOC.

Love your brass Digress too by the way ... another possible purchase for me!

Chris.

Randomangle said:
Love your brass Digress too by the way ... another possible purchase for me!

Chris.

The Plisson looks really good. But I think I'll wait until I get rid of, or destroy, a brush before getting another - that's a whole different ballgame to get into!

It's not actually my Digress, I've been loaned it - so it may be a purchase for me as well.

13605855455_13ffaf1f86_c.jpg

Thursday

Evening, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJDE89
Blade: Rapira SS (6)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Crabtree & Evelyn, Sienna
Aftershave: Halston Z-14
Cologne: Halston Z-14

Evening.
Hot water splash
Lider Active cream, face lathered
Omega Boar
Gillette Black beauty #3
Personna Med Prep

For whatever reason, I always struggle to get smooth comfy shave with the BB, shave is smooth, but takes more effort and is not as "easy" as the EJDE89. More practice required!

Simpson X2
Ach Brito Lavanda / Trumpers Almond
LC New
Polsilver SI (3)
Myrsol Antesol

My tube of Lavanda has gone hard. Knew I should have bought a tube while shopping on gifts and care. So 2nd and 3rd pass was assisted by Trumpers. Lavanda is now soaking in warm water in the hope of bringing it back to life.

Thursday Evening

IMG_5488.JPG

Hot Towel
Cella Shaving Cream/Soap
Pure Badger
Filarmonica Doble Temple 4/8
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse, Alum Wash & Witch Hazel
4711 Cologne

Bowl Lathered
Two Pass - Both WTG

First, many thank indeed to Jaycey for the loan of his slim Filarmonica. Billed as 4/8, measured, it's more like 7/16, but who's counting. It gave a lovely shave, perhaps a little rough but I am reliably informed that straight off the hone the first shave can be a little aggressive.

I did slick and slide around my face quite happily, finding a good angle with ease on such a slim razor and found it excellent for all the fiddly bits around nose, mouth and chin where I've struggled before with wider straights.

Boom! Victory fist pump! In fact ... Schick! Schick! Reload! Double-barrelled victory fist pump!

Now, this Cella. Gah! What a horrible soap! Really, sorry, I just don't like it. I've read great things about it but if I had known it was almond, I would have avoided it. I really don't like the smell. It lathered easily and lathered well, but on my face it dried out. I could see dry cracks on my lips and it was practically a crust by the time I got to my neck. I had to wash off and re-apply.

I think it'll be up for trade, so keep your eye on BST if it's your kind of thing.

Still, great shave!

9XaZJAi.jpg

Digress HD B @4
Personna Platinum Chrome (2)
Vie Long Horse/Badger
Wickham Soap Company Super Smooth
Pinaud VIBR
Simpson's Balm

Almost finished my soap sample - perhaps one shave left, although unlikely. Luckily I've got a couple more samples and my new tub arrived today!

rowlers said:
Evening.

Gillette Black beauty #3
Personna Med Prep

For whatever reason, I always struggle to get smooth comfy shave with the BB, shave is smooth, but takes more effort and is not as "easy" as the EJDE89. More practice required!

Hi there,

For the heck of it, why not try a Feather blade at the same setting. How did you end up with #3 as the magic number?

THURSDAY EVENING

Pre: Cold rinse
Cream: T&H No 10
Brush: Simpsons Tulip 2 Super
Razor: Gillette English Red Tip
Blade: Swede

Can't fail to get a good shave with this razor.

Gillette Aristocrat #15
Polsilver Super Iridium
Thäter 49125/1 3-band
La Toja cream, Classic
Weleda After Shave Balm

Late night shave. The #15 shaves very very close. I rarely have the patience for it.

Friday iv April, 2014

5c844abe-e98b-4951-ba79-6f00a2a0f52f_zpscc44f64e.jpg

Prep: Hot shower, Savon de Provence Sandalwood
Pre: Tepid water splash
Brush: Vulfix Boar Brute
Soap: Ralph Lauren Safari
Razor: Gillette Slim Adjustable M3 date code
Blade: Eversharp Super Stainless #3

Result: Very, very nice. I've got the sweet angle for the Slim now and it is delivering a great shave. Eversharp blade is smooth and pretty sharp. Nice menthol hit from the Pitralon this morning.

All in all a happy boy.

All the best, gents

Back
Top Bottom