Mystery Soap No.9
Kent Infinity Silvertex
Gillette/Grom Long Comb
Gillette Platinum [1]
Hot Rinse, Cold Rinse & Alum Wash
Rose of Bulgaria Aftershave

Bowl Lathered
Three Pass - XTG, WTG & GTX

Another run with Mystery Soap No.9, this time lathered up with a synthetic which I do believe gave me a stunningly good lather. I still got some irritation from the soap by the third pass, something I've only really got from soaps that include shea butter. I'm guessing. Post-shave, I think the soap has contributed well to a smooth and conditioned skin.

The Grom was fun. Seemingly the same as the Nacet, it was actually quite different. Very forgiving on angle, yet it's sink its teeth in without warning. I think I just got a little blasé and a couple of weepers emerged.

All gone with the post-shave alum wash which told me I'd actually got quite a rough shave. Perhaps this Platinum will calm down with a second run.

Soothing, healing and superbly scented Rose of Bulgaria Aftershave and I'm done.

It's the mighty 7 O'Clock tomorrow ...

KLF said:
Man, I am really enjoying these Gillette Platinum blades. I'd made em one of my two go to blades a looong time back, but switched to the Q-Ball blades months ago. I believe I prefer the Gillette Platinum just the same. Such an easy blade to shave with, and (for the new members) most technique mistakes can usually be caught before any damage is done. Forgiving but still very sharp.

I used one for the first time this evening and concur.

Sharp, efficient, largely forgiving, but if you do something silly like just get carried away and apply too much pressure or don't quite observe a facial curve, it'll give you a little nip. Not a bite, just a friendly nip. You might get a weeper, you shouldn't get a nick.

Yeah, enjoyed. I'm trying a (Rubie) Super Platinum tomorrow as part of my week of British Long Combs, for which I'm giving my Gillette blade collection a good go.

Evening gents,
A few razor bumps/ingrowing hairs on the rights side of my neck. Not sure if was as a result of the super close shave yesterday, the collared shirt I wore afterwards or the heat. Probably a combo of all three!

Wasn't expecting miracles and had i not been on a training course in the morning I would had left well alone but alas I need to be clean shaven for work.

It went like this:
T&H No 10 cleansing scrub
Hot towel
T&H No 10 cream, face lathered
TOBS Pure Badger
Merkur 15c
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse, witch hazel
The Veg
A gallon of CoolFix on my neck which at the moment resembles a volcano!
The rest of my face is fine. Not had irritation like this since my cartridge days.

The Veg is from the pass around and is ready to start wandering again.

Shower
Omega 10810
Arko Cool cream
DE89
Polsilver SI [5!]
Alum Block
Arko Ice Mint Balm
C&S Cuba

First try with Alum, quite nice! Very little sting, but really finishes the shave nicely. Will be a regular user I reckon! Arko Cool cream lathers really well, but is not very cool. Arko Ice mint ASB is nice and light and non greasy.
Finished with the Cuba EDC which is lovely!

mcrossy said:
Evening gents,
A few razor bumps/ingrowing hairs on the rights side of my neck. Not sure if was as a result of the super close shave yesterday, the collared shirt I wore afterwards or the heat. Probably a combo of all three!

It might help you to look into ShaveWorks or Clubman Club Mend. If I get too close a shave (like sub-skin), I'm prone and keep a the Clubman product in for when I suspect I might have a problem.

The other thing is, some folks can happily run their blades through to 5 or 6 shaves, others (like me) really have to ditch them after three. Pushing a blade too far can give irritation and badly shaved hair, particularly at the peripheries, like down the neck.

The Shaveworks stuff is what I use already. Grand stuff. The redness is gone already and just stuck some more on before bed. Same as you I never go beyond three shaves. Just a bit close I reckon.

FrankieG said:
Czech & Speake O&C shaving soap

Not my finest attempt at building lather today. Started with a brush that was too wet and I didn't load enough soap.

Yep, that's the potential problem with a soap that lathers as easily as the C&S does. I have to be careful to start with a dryer than usual brush to load enough soap and to keep the bubbles from getting in the way.

Prep: Hot Water
Soap: Dr Selby
Brush: Simpson Polo PL8 2 band in Super
Razor: Black Cobra
Blade: Feather Professional
Moustache Razor : The Mab Dwarf Razor
AS: Guerlain Vetiver
EDT: Guerlain Vetiver

image.php

image.php

Thursday xxii May, 2014

Prep: Hot shower, Dove Men+Care Revitalising Face Wash
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Neep Custom Elm Burl MCMXL Penny Farthing (made for Dad)
Soap: L'Occitane Cade (formerly Dad's soap)
Razor: Unknown Open Comb (my Grandfather's)
Blade: NOS Perma-Sharp Stainless #2
Post: Alum, NOS Shulton Old Spice ASL, Kiehl's Ultimate Men's ASB
Fragrance: Floris Elite

Result: A little irritation this morning. The Perma-Sharp, perhaps? A splash of the Floris seemed to sort it out.

All the best,

Jon

Thursday morning:

Cadman & Sons Bengall 13/16"
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle
Klar Kabinett
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5"Latigo Leather
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Eton College ASL
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a great day!

SOTD-2014-05-22-1-Copy_zps0c411dd0.jpg

Thursday

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Semogue SOC Boar
Aristocrat Junior
Voskhod
Blue Stratos AS

Very nice indeed. This morning's shave used most of my favourite kit.

Not much has changed today seeing I am still in the newbie stage.
Pre - thorough wash and hot towel.
Shave - Weishi, Derby extra, TOBS lemon & lime cream.
wtx, xtg, atg.
Post - Alum, M&S Woodspice AS, Nivea balm.
One thing I noticed today that just after my for NAL pass my neck still felt a little rough. However its now half an hour later after my coffee and it actually feels smooth.
Has this happened to anyone else or am I just weird lol
Jim

Damn autocorrect.. Should read 'after final pass'

Prep: cold water and Proraso Sensitive pre shave
Brush : Omega boar
Soap : MWF
Razor : Gillette 7 O'Clock
Blade : Astra SP

Part of the British OC week

Great shave just 1 nick where I took my eye of the ball always seems to be in the third tidy up pass think I relax too much thinking nearly done, must learn to keep concentration till the end of the shave.

Cheers Paul

Back
Top Bottom