S.O.T.D. Sat. 7th Sept. to Frid. 13th Sept. 2013

dodgy said:
NotTheStig said:
dodgy said:
Burgundy said:
Gillette Aristocrat #15

A close shave but this is a razor I do have to concentrate with - unlike, say, a Weber. Still on a learning curve with it; it's the least forgiving of any Gillette TTO I've tried. Any Gillette at all, in fact.

That's one razor I really wanted to love. Great looking piece that felt solid in my hand, but had just a little bit too much bite for me. Tried a number of different blades but no go.

I keep hearing from guys saying they can get a good shave with any razor......sounds like fiction to me.
Me too. I used a light touch and took longer and got a not very close shave, on edge the whole time. Really wanted it to work for me.

Yep, they do take longer to shave with because of the extra drama involved. The shave is an uneven one.....extremely close on the easy areas and much less so on the tricky spots, due to not wanting to push the envelope at all. Plus, I flat out hate the huge amount of blade feedback on my face. It's just too intrusive. I mean where's the fun in having all that to deal with.

Hah, saying that, this razor is a real popular one. Lots of people love how that blade feels on their face. I just wish it was a better fit for me. Luckily my buddy pissingin loaned me his to test drive.
I've had close three-pass shaves with even coverage for the last couple of shaves, but I can see what you mean on all accounts. I do think it's a razor I can click with but I don't think it'll ever be a 'brainless' plug-and-play razor that more-or-less shaves you itself. Pretty razor, though, and good weight. We'll see!

What do you think of the #16 and #21?

Burgundy said:
What do you think of the #16 and #21?

The #21 surprised me with how much bite it had. Much more than usual for a Gillette with a safety bar. That was another razor I wanted to like because of the handle and it having no end caps. Moved that along after a while and I'm sure the buyer probably loved the thing. Really nice looking razor.

The #16 is one I miss having in the arsenal. I knew I would get some crap thrown at me because of it, and that's been the case. Damn monkeys just don't die. No, they linger........

I had to sell that razor because I just could not justify keeping it for the few times per year it was used. Plus, I got crazy money for it, being in quite nice shape Yeah, there was that. Very good performer that murmers class, partly because of how well it's built. Hopefully at some point I will run into one in good shaving condition for a bearable price.

Wednesday xi September, 2013

Prep: Shower, Shea Butter Savon de Provence
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Rubberset 400-3 with original boar knot
Soap: NOS Old Spice shave stick
Razor: Digress LD
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge #3
Post: Alum, Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh Post Shave Solution
Fragrance: Sex Pistols EdT

Result: Gave the Rubberset a full conditioning work out and it has softened noticeably. Will still need some work, but I am happy to persevere as it looks so damn good!
Very pleasing shave this morning. Smooth, relaxing and a splendid start to the day.

Have a good day, gents.

Jon

Wednesday:

Palmolive cream
Semogue 2012 SE
Gem OCMM
Gem blade
Indian Old Spice AS

Really quick shave this morning, still more than acceptable and crucially nice and comfortable.

Greetings

Wednesday 11th September 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: GEM OCMM
Blade: GEM Blue Star carbon
Brush: Semogue 830 Boar
Soap: La Toja Stick grated & La Toja Cream & Glycerine Ãœberlather
Aftershave: Astral cream (light)

After yesterdays success I had to try something similar again; also very good indeed.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04611.JPG

Tuesday night

Prep : Cliniqie face soap and scruff
Razor : Ikon Deluxe OC
Blade : Racer
Brush : Simpson Chubby 2
Soap : Arko
Post shave : Old Spice whitewater

Same setup as yesterday, except the splash, and the Chubby/Arko was much better tonight and got 3 passes out of it.

slight irritation by my adam's apple though. Not something I usually get so maybe I went roun there a little rougher than usual.

Change for tonight as I'm going to to the C&E soap/cream of the week to finish the week off.

Wednesday 11th September

Brush: SOC boar in cherry
Soap/Cream: Provence Santé Verlaine and RSC Shave2 Cream
Razor: New LC
Blade: Racer (2)

Thought I'd give the super lather thing a try, god knows if I did it right. Loaded the brush with the Verlaine and slapped some RSC round my chops, and set to lathering. Plenty of thick and creamy lather, nice. The racers are normally incredibly smooth for me, as was the first shave with the same set up. But this second shave felt a little harsh, and uncomfortable. I decided I'd bin the blade after this shave, 2 isn't bad out of such a cheap blade.

Result was a nice and close shave, but a bit uncomfortable getting there. The Floid is great!

Wednesday:

Morning, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Åžik Bay
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond (5)
Brush: Erasmic
Shave cream: RSC
A/S: Ice Dive
Cologne: Kouros

Wednesday

Shower
MenU Bristle brush
Edwin Jagger Aloe soap + Body Sohp macca Root cream
Astra SP (2)
EJ DE89
2 pass with grain
1 pass as required (with across against)
Cold splash
Body Shop White musk A/S balm

Good shave, not best but good and smooth.

Back
Top Bottom