S.O.T.D. Sat. 7th Sept. to Frid. 13th Sept. 2013

I don't use menthol very often, I just can't deal with the stuff on a regular basis. Even when a soap or cream is not mint or eucalyptus scented my mind still grabs onto those scents and forces me to think of all menthol products in those terms. It's too bad because a soap like Proraso White gets pushed to the wayside even though it smells nothing like most menthol soaps. It's not that I dislike mint or eucalyptus scents, it's just that they produce such a strong olfactory and physical response when paired with menthol that I can't handle them all of the time. It's the same thing with Peptobismal. I was force fed Pepto every time I had an upset stomach, so now whenever I even smell the stuff I start to feel ill.

In any event, I am trying to get over it, so I will be using menthol soaps and creams all week. Today is, of course, Proraso White. I'm a big fan of the Green Tea scent in general, so maybe if I inhale the goodness mindfully as I shave I will be able to deprogram myself.

Three passes with my Edwin Jagger DE86 and a Dorco ST-301 brought me to BBS Nirvana. My #6 Turkish Horsehair made gobs-o-lather and did an excellent job, along with the Shave Secret, of preping my face. The Proraso White was nice and cool and felt great during each cold water rinse. My alum barely even tingled when I applied it and the menthol was still cooling my skin down when I rinsed it off. A good start to my mentholated week.

Pre: Hot shower, warm water splash, and Shave Secret
Razor: Edwin Jagger DE86
Blade: Dorco ST-301
Brush: #6 Turkish Horsehair
Soap: Proraso White

avube7eq.jpg

Shower and Nivea face wash

Hot towels with sandlewood oil

Bluebeards revenge pre shave oil

Bluebeards revenge shave cream, bowl lathered with badger hair brush

Double pass shave, first with bluebeards revenge scimitar DE with wilkinson sword, second with bluebeards revenge shavette and blade

Cold towel

Bluebeards revenge post shave balm

Yes I know all a bit of a mish mash and I'm obsessed with bluebeards revenge but we all have to start somewhere and I'm enjoying playing with all my new toys and products.

Result tonight was a great almost BBS shave with only a couple of tiny blood spots that where stopped with the cold towel.

Big John

MONDAY EVENING

Razor: Aristocrat Jr
Blade: Gillette Super Stainless (3)
Brush: Semogue cherry wood boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett\Figaro superlather - suribachi lathered
Balm: Witch hazel then Bulldog balm

Three shaves and bin for this blade which became tuggy towards the end.

Didn't affect the quality of the shave though. It's not a coincidence that I love both the #16 and this given they share the head (#16 is a gnat's baw hair in front though due to the lovely handle).

Derby shaving stick
Turkish no. 6
Fatboy on 9, 7 with Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Groomed balm

Great shave. Had been getting a little unexpected irritation with the 7 o'clock lately. This was superb though and the Groomed balm was exactly what the doctor ordered. I shall be getting more of this

Musgo Real glyce classic soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Supermax Diamond
Frank Shaving Pur-Tech 28mm
Proraso Green Cream (New Formula)
Proraso Green A/S

Fantastico!

Tuesday x September, 2013

Prep: Shower, Shea Butter Savon de Provence
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Rubberset 400-3 with original boar knot
Soap: NOS Old Spice shave stick
Razor: Digress LD
Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Sharp Edge #2
Post: Alum, Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh Post Shave Solution
Fragrance: Sex Pistols EdT

Result: Well I finally got my Rubberset. It's in really good nick, no need of restoration at all. I gave the knot a work out in the shower last night and prior to shaving this morning. It'll need to have quite a sustained breaking in period and I'll make a decision about knot replacement in a week or so. Currently it may be best suited to soap and bowl lathering, but as I only have my Old Spice stick I'm getting a sustained exfoliation.
Anyway, an excellent shave and I am delighted with my new, old brush. Thanks Ratty and Dr D for opening that particular door.....

Have a good day, gents.

Jon

PS Happy New Year to any Ethiopians out there....

Greetings

Tuesday 10th September 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Ever Ready 1924 Shovelhead
Blade: GEM Blue Star Carbon
Brush: Shaving Factory Med. Boar
Soap: Speick Cream & Speick Soap & Glycerine Ãœberlather
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

A wonderful shave, billiard ball smooth! It is very rare I bowl lather and even rarer for me to faff about making überlather but the result today was top class. The ludicrously tall and floppy shaving factory brush is pretty useless for anything other than whipping up these concoctions and painting it on.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04609.JPG

Morning

Tues 10 Sept 2013

Prep: Nivea Deep Cleaning Face Wash
Razor: 7.00 OC
Blade: Astra SP
Brush: Vintage Culmak Senior
Soap: Ingrams
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Balm

Second shave with this razor/blade combo and it's a winner. BBS just about everywhere with little effort.

Tuesday

Shower
Edwin Jager Aloe Vera Soap + Body Shop Macca Root Cream
MenU Bristle brush
Astra SP (1)
EJ DE89
3 pass, with, with & mixed
Cold water
Avon Extreme A/S Balm

Lovely, lovely shave, close, smooth and even. Best shave for a while.

Monday Night

Prep : Clinique face soap and scruff
Razor : Ikon Deluxe OC
Blade : Racer
Brush : Simpson Chubby 2
Soap : Arko
Post shave : Clinique post shave soother

First time using Arko, I can understand the comments about the smell, not bad shave. Struggled with the Chubby and had to realod after the 1st pass as no chance of geting a 2nd but after reloading managed to get quite a pleasant lather.

Really need to have a proper go with the Chubby to decide wether it really is worth the money. Been a bit of a disappointment so far, think I need some proper time for a week or two instead of rotating.

Prep: Shower, Anthony Logistics Face Scrub
Pre-Shave: Argan/Grapeseed/Jojoba/Glycerin
Lather: TOBS Lavender SC
Brush: T&H Super Badger
Razor: Merkur 37c
Blade: Feather (3)

3rd shave with the slant and I continue to be really impressed with it's efficiency

Back
Top Bottom