Hot flannel
Musgo orange amber cream bowl lathered
Simpson 59 best badger brush
Gillette 1930's Aristocrat silver plated
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers lavender witch hazel
Myrsol Lemon aftershave

Second time out for the Musgo, slick and all you could ask for from a cream.

Brian

Pears oil-control soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Supermax Diamond
Frank Shaving Pur-Tech 28mm
Supermax Shaving cream
Proraso Green A/S

Cheap as chips Supermax with great results :)

The search continues for a nice soap to wash my face before my shave to replace the MR GLO I use (and like) at six quid a pop. The Pears was very nice on its first outing but only time will tell.

Gillette Aristocrat #21
Gillette 7oc Yellow (3)
Semogue SOC boar
Vito's Extra Super Coconut
Proraso Aftershave balm

Nice shave. Both the Vito's and the SOC boar respond well to bowl lathering: more consistent for me across passes.
dodgy said:
Burgundy said:
What do you think of the #16 and #21?

The #21 surprised me with how much bite it had. Much more than usual for a Gillette with a safety bar. That was another razor I wanted to like because of the handle and it having no end caps. Moved that along after a while and I'm sure the buyer probably loved the thing. Really nice looking razor.

The #16 is one I miss having in the arsenal. I knew I would get some crap thrown at me because of it, and that's been the case. Damn monkeys just don't die. No, they linger........

I had to sell that razor because I just could not justify keeping it for the few times per year it was used. Plus, I got crazy money for it, being in quite nice shape Yeah, there was that. Very good performer that murmers class, partly because of how well it's built. Hopefully at some point I will run into one in good shaving condition for a bearable price.
Interesting observations again! I know you fancy mild-moderate razors, which my preferences echo, but perhaps I tolerate a little more aggression. The #21 seems like a great match for me at the moment but I am still dying to get my hands on a #16.

Shave two of the great menthol experiment. I had a small sample of Mama Bear's Awakenings soap that I decided to combine with a tiny hunk of VDH Glycerin so as to give it enough surface area to get a good lather from it. The ratio was something like four parts Mama Bear's Awakenings to one part VDH Glycerin, but melting the two together still managed to somewhat diminish the overall menthol scent. With this in mind I decided to use a single small menthol crystal with this soap to kick up the cooling and to give me an idea of what the soap feels like when it is not diluted with VDH.

Today I used some Shave Secret (which also has menthol in it), my Hawk Barber's Razor with a fresh Croma Diamant blade and my #6 Turkish Horsehair brush. Let me just say that I am really affected by even a little menthol. To me C.O. Bigelow is right at the cusp of being too cold (although if I only use a small glob of the stuff I can barely tell that it's got menthol in it). So, when I say a product is super cold, this assessment should be taken with a grain of salt. With that in mind, let me just say that Mama Bear's Awakenings soap is crazy cold stuff.

Two and a half passes, wtg/atg and an xtg pass on my neck for clean up, resulted in a DFS with zero nicks and zero irritation. I was so frozen by the Mama Bear's Awakenings that at one point I seriously considered wiping the lather off. My face was actually numbing and the cold water rinses were like ice baths for my face. I don't know if the single small menthol crystal was to blame or if Awakenings is usually that cold, but I was actually relieved when the shave was over. I know some folks really like face freezing soaps, but they're just too much for me. I'll try the Awakenings again without the added crystal and see how it feels.

Pre: Hot shower, warm water splash, and Shave Secret
Razor: Hawk Barber's Razor
Bade: Croma Diamant
Brush: #6 Turkish Horsehair
Soap: Mama Bear's Awakenings

9e2a2ajy.jpg

Prep: Village Barber Oil
Brush: NF Tubby 1
Soap: Proraso Green
Razor: Weber DLC/UFO Red Bronze Goliath XL

Lovely refreshing shave, I love this combination.

[attachment=8492]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378931694.999108.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1378931694.999108.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
Interesting observations again! I know you fancy mild-moderate razors, which my preferences echo, but perhaps I tolerate a little more aggression. The #21 seems like a great match for me at the moment but I am still dying to get my hands on a #16.
[/quote]

Now it's certainly possible the #21 I used was more aggressive than some others. I have had that happen more than once with the same kinda razors and they definitely don't all shave the same. Anyway, that one is my only reference point.

Yeah, thet #16 is one I would use maybe 8-10 times a year. Performance wise it's maybe one number too high for being perfect, but damn, it's a purty thang. Did I mention shiny too?

Martin

WEDNESDAY EVENING

Razor: Kai Captain Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Semogue cherry wood boar
Soap: Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
Balm: Witch hazel then Proraso balm

Only really a DFS, but no claret so that's OK.

Thursday

Mitchell's Wool Fat
Semogue 2012 SE
Ever Ready Streamline
GEM blade
Witch Hazel
Truefitt and Hill Trafalgar AS

Great shave. I seem to have a never ending bottle of Trafalgar, its had a tiny amount left for ages. No complaints from me, I love it.

Gillette Slim Twist
Gillette Bleue Extra
C&E Sienna shaving soap (first use)
Turkish no. 6
Floid Vigor-oh-so good

Excellent. Quick, easy but also close and with no irritation. I've had good, quick shaves with this razor before but never got this close.

Good morning Gentlemen,

C.V. Heljestrand Eskilstuna, No 31 5/8" (restored by UkRob)
Simpsons The Commodore X3, Best Badger
D.R. Harris Winsdor, soap
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
D.R. Harris Winsdor
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Clean and smooth shave!

Have a nice day!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-12-09-2013.JPG

Thursday xii September, 2013

Prep: Shower, Shea Butter Savon de Provence
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Frank Shaving Pur-Tech synthetic
Soap: NOS Old Spice shave stick
Razor: Digress LD
Blade: Wizamet Polsilver Stainless #1
Post: Alum, Thayers Medicated WH, Zirh Post Shave Solution
Fragrance: Sex Pistols EdT

Result: Slightly rushed, but all's well that ends well.

Have a good day, gents.

Jon

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Gillette Thermal Scrub pre-shave
Soap: Cella
Brush: New Forest 2213
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: Progress @2.5,2,1.5
Blade: Personna Lab Blue (3)
After: Muelhens 4711 AS, Weleda ASB

I've being trying this Gillette Thermal Scrub. Weird stuff; it physically gets warm/hot as soon as you apply it to your face. Seems like that's a bit of a gimmick but does the job well enough.
After two days using my new R41 2013 it's great to get back to the Progress. So much easier and I think the result is just as good. BBS today no bother. The R41 is just so unforgiving, but I'll give it some more goes over the next few days before I make my final decision.
Previously I thought the Weleda ASB was too oily for hot days but now it's cooler it seems just right.

Have a great day, gents.

SOTD130912_zpsc9499cb0.jpg

Thursday:

Morning, everyone.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Åžik Bay
Blade: Super Max Blue Diamond (6)
Brush: Erasmic
Shave cream: C&E Sienna
A/S: Pashana's Bay Rum
Cologne: L'Air du Désert Marocain

It's turned a bit cooler here of late, so I find myself choosing the warmer scents. Lovely.

Back
Top Bottom