S.O.T.D Sat. 5th Oct. to Frid. 11th Oct.2013

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
'Webly'/Perma-Sharp
Xpec SC
no aftershave for some reason
Tom Ford 'Amber Absolute' EdP (amazingly resiny/woodsy masculine frag that lasts forever)

Back to using the Xpec today. Man, this stuff makes some nice looking lather with incredible ease. Performance wise, it's a real keeper. Speaking of keepers, third shave with this new to me blade. Yeah, this one's pretty darn good.

BBS results,

Martin

Sunday 6th October

SOTD61013_zps98e73c81.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
Speick stick grated bowl lathered
Simpson POLO 8 best badger brush
Gillette 1922 New Improved silver
Sputnik (1)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Speick aftershave

Back to my favourite blade the Sputnik today very sharp and efficient. Still with the Open Comb razors for October.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: Speick stick (grated)
Brush: Golden Nib 2-band badger knot in Vulfix Grosvenor handle
Razor: Weber Polished/Bulldog
Blade: Sputnik (3)
EdT: Lalique Homage a l'Homme

Excellent 3-pass cold water shave. Loving Myrsol Emulsion even more as a post-shave balm than as pre. Absorbs readily without a hint of greasyness.

Hot flannel
Proraso pre, menthol
New Forest Tubby 1, Cella
Merkur Progress (#2), Ladas (1)
Cold Splash
Clinique post-shave healer

Got a nick which required stypticking... (new blade plus my "handedness" problem)... otherwise a fine shave.
I was kindly PIF'd a couple of Ladas blades by a TSR member a while ago (may have been SirBrian?) and was mightily impressed when I tried the first one. Tried the second one today and still impressed. I'll be trying the second Sputnik soon (also kindly PIF'd)... then it may be time to contact our Russian friend again (if he hasn't retired on the profits provided by blade-hungry TSR members)

Have a bloody good Sunday, everyone!

Progress on 3, 3, 1.5
Scottish Permasharp (2)
Mama Bear's Ice Eucalyptus and Menthol shaving soap
Proraso pre/post cream as post

Sub-zero! Never had a colder shave!
Dobbo, you asked me to let you know how I found the soap. Very good and surprisingly cooling.

Face wash with Pears soap
Merkur Digress HD B / Polsilver
Rudy Vey custom redwood burl with 23mm Shavemac knot
Supermax Shaving cream
Proraso Green A/S

…and normal service is resumed :)

Prep: Hot Shower
Pre: Hot splash, Proraso Pre shave creme
Soap: Mama Bears Joop type
Brush: Semogue 1305
Razor: 1912 Ever Ready
Blade: GEM SS coated
EdT: Superdrug Sierran breeze

Two 'first's' for me tonight, the Ever Ready and the Mama Bears soap.

After finally getting round to cleaning the Ever Ready after buying from ebay for 4.99, i decided to give it a run out tonight. I also still don't have any containers for the Mama bear's soaps i got from the recent group buy, but was desperate to try them out. So i used any ramakin from the Kitchen!

All in all a really good experience and a DFS, will use the ever ready more often.

I tend to shave in the evenings, so longevity of scent is not high on my list - I like a good scent, but it doesn't matter if it's gone by bed time. Cologne in the morning ...

I looked in on Superdrug today and realised I could have a tube of Ingram's a lot cheaper than I just bought off eBay, bagged a tube of Palmolive (horrible!) and considered the aftershave(s), but passed up on them and spend my £2.50 on a good breed burger in town at the food fair.

The burger was good, but I wish I'd punted loose change on an aftershave.

Tonight ...

Music was the incredible Leonard Cohen 'Songs of ...' album, on vinyl. Lovely.

Drink? Duvel.

IMG_3160.JPG

Pre-shave was a good wash, hot rinse and then a lengthy massage with Billy Jealousy White Knight*. Rinse off, then Nuage Men Shaving Oil.
Ingram's Shaving Cream. Unbranded Pure Badger brush.
Merkur 23C (the RWD of shavers!) loaded with a PolSilver Super Iridium.
Hot rinse ... Cold rinse and massage.
Witch Hazel to tone.
Logical Skincare Recipe for Me Facial Moisturiser*.

* Samples supplied by http://www.traditionalshaving.co.uk

In all, a very nice shave removing just one day of stubble. Kept nice and light, concentrating more on the pre and post-shave treatments I got the closest yet to a BBS. Fourth, or fifth DE shave now. It just keeps getting better. That, and my love of Ingram's gets stronger.

Cheers, all.

SUNDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Kai Captain Excelia
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Beejay amber acrylic with TGN badger knot
Soap: Nannys Vetivery hard soap - face lathered

One day I WILL manage a straight shave without cutting myself. Close enough, but about four sodding nicks!

I've a feeling that, for me, cold water shaving works better with straights. Might be talking cobblers, but will try that next time (though not sure I can cold water shave during the middle of winter).

Back
Top Bottom