S.O.T.D Sat. 26th Oct. to Frid.1st Nov. 2013

Prep: Cold water splash
Soap: MWF
Brush: M&F Blonde Badger
Razor: Weber Polished/Bulldog
Blade: Super Iridium (1)
EdT: D R Harris

Close and comfortable. Can't ask for more!

Soap - Mike's Coconut
Brush - T&H Wellington
Blade - Gillette 7 O'Clock Black
Razor - Merkur Progress
Post Shave - Proraso Balm / TOBS Victorian Lime

10540383774_924706eb56_z.jpg

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: NSS Down Home Summer (soft)
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Bowl: Woodhead Pedestal
Razor: R41 2013
Blade: Sputnik (1)
After: Muelhens 4711 AS, Nivea ASB

I think Nanny's soft soap works much better for me than the hard stuff. Luxurious lather that lingers after the shave; lovely.
Another tricky day with the R41, one small weeper under the nose but washed off nicely. The thing that puts me off the R41 is that it can't be called a relaxing shave. It does a great job but boy do you have to work for it.

SOTD20131028_zps8f2f9d26.jpg

Monday and Tuesday
Travel kit shaves in Tasmania

Proraso pre
TOBS Avocado SC
Omega 36 Boar
Merkur 34c HD
Astra SS
Thayer's Superhazel
L'Occitane Cade ASB
Creed Original Vetiver
[attachment=8827]

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382989925.905253.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382989925.905253.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 16
Gillette old type
Gillette green (6)
NF2213
Derby lemon cream
Witch hazel and lemon essential oil

Last run out for the old type and the blade. I've learned a lot this month and am getting a much smoother shave. Great brush - almost too nice to use :)

After the usual 1-2 minute hot towel prep:

vintage Simpsons best
'Webly'/Polsilver Iridium
Xpec SC
Lucky Tiger AS and Face Tonic
No EdT for some reason

This new to me blade's a nice one. Had a pack sent to me by a thoughtful forum member (thank you) and it's a good shave today. Yep, the Polsilver is sharp, smooth, and forgiving. Let's see how many shaves it works for. I had been wanting to test drive this blade for a while, seeing as how it gets very good reviews. I can see why that is.

Really enjoying this goofy shaving cream Heh, I still can't tell if this scent grabs me or not. Performance is pretty darn good.

BBS results,

Martin

Prep: FitjarSoap Pre Shave Soap
Razor: Merkur HD
Blade: Polsilver (2)
Brush: Merkur Futur
Soap: Tabac stick (Tabac is pronounced in an ominous voice)
Aftershave: Tabac (see above)
Moisturiser: D.R Harris Aftershave Milk

Tabac is no friend of mine, but in honour of a theme Week I am participating in, we agreed to set aside our differences and unite in shaveful harmony. And so we did.

The result was better than expected. The lather was not bad, the scent not too offensive and the shave ended up being a DFS.

Tabac will never win the Norseman Grand Prix of shaving, and probably not even be in the top ten. But I have to admit that I am getting more curious about trying the regular soap instead of the stick next time Tabac tickles my fancy (whatever that mean :) )

The Tabac aftershave is another matter. Where the soap smells like something old and forgotten, the aftershave was surprisingly refreshing.
I like that scent much more, and will not rule out a purchase sometime in the future

The Polsilver blade is still pretty awesome. One of the best blades in show, I am sure of it.

28102013_zps7cef620d.jpg

... wait 'til you try a Super Iridium PolSilver!

Yeah, Tabac Aftershave Lotion is really nice - I'm inclined to buy their Cologne or EDT for a longer lasting scent. I make Friday my retro-scent day and Tabac is one of two clear favourites, Quorum being the other. If you like this Tabac, I think you'll like Quorum, too. Regarding the soap, well, I like it. I'm not big on soaps, but Tabac is one that I like. If you're struggling with it, say, getting a good lather, drop some glycerine into your lather bowl ... or a complimentary shaving cream. I'm not quite sure what it is that I like about Tabac soap, but I do like it.

Gillette Tech, shim x3
Feather blade
Vulfix pure badger
Sir Irisch Moos Shaving Stick
Alum Block

Kept it simple today. It's the first time I've tried shimming and WOW! It made a massive difference.

Sooo aggressive. But not in a bad way. Very impressed with the results too. Although I did have 2 nicks for the first time in a long while.

Very impressed with the irisch moos aswell. Made by the same company as tabac I believe but now discontinued. Shame.

What a relief! What a great shave ...

I've been making a test run for Movember, growing a 'tache over the last week or so. I don't like 'em ... and I'm not sure I'll be able to make a month of it, but if I can get over that 7-10 day hump, I'm sure it'll be plain sailing from there.

Anyway, tonight, I shaved the lot off having pretty much fiddled with my top lip all day and hassled the rest of my face.

Soothing bath then ...

Nuage Men PSO
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger Brush
Merkur 23C - yes, my custom fencing handle
PolSilver Super Iridium [5]
Wilkinson Sword [4]
Rapira Swedish Supersteel [2]
Hot Rinse
Cold Rinse
Witch Hazel/Grapefruit Tonic
Shaveworks 'The Cool Fix'

2x WTG, then ATG

I agree - that is a funny mix of blades, but there is some logic ...

I have been extremely impressed with the performance of the PolSilver Super Iridium blades. If I had to choose one blade, it would be the SuperMax Blue Diamond, which I find smooth enough to make multiple passes without irritation; two, it would be the SuperMax Blue Diamond and the PolSilver Super Iridium. It's sharp. It effortlessly mows down days of growth and then just glides over day growth.

That was my first pass ...

Fifth run for that blade now, so curious, I switched to the Wilkinson Sword which is another blade I have been impressed with. Smooth. Simple as that, unimpressive otherwise. It made a nice second pass with the grain.

Now, polishing and cleaning up, I strapped the Rapira Swedish Supersteel in and really without thinking polished my neck against the grain. The second run with this blade was so much nicer than the first where it performed more like a skin graft blade than a shaving blade. Tonight, it is a shaving blade and very nice indeed! Perfect for ATG, smooth, yet efficient.

Relief!

Hot rinse ... cold rinse ... then a second blend of Witch Hazel that I've been playing with, blended with the following essential oils: Ylang Ylang, Rosemary, Patchouli and Grapefruit, the latter being the dominant initial scent and overall effect, the penultimate being the longer player. It's a blend I like and one which will compliment my homemade PSO.

Still feeling just a little troubled, I remembered that I got a sample of Shaveworks 'The Cool Fix' from Traditional Shaving back when they opened their retail store in Leeds (yeah, PLUG! But why not? It's a damn good shop). Duly, applied ... ahhhhh ... what relief! Cool? I don't know about that ... more like applying a mix of Tabasco and Tea Tree gel to the face! It was warm, to me. Still, good stuff and after two applications, my day long fiddling, wiping and scratching is now relieved.

Breathe ...

I'll use another application of the Shaveworks before bed and I think there'll be sufficient for a final wipe over in the morning. I'm off this week and my Mrs wants to go shopping in Leeds tomorrow ... yes, I'll endorse that :D

pjgh said:
... wait 'til you try a Super Iridium PolSilver!

Yeah, Tabac Aftershave Lotion is really nice - I'm inclined to buy their Cologne or EDT for a longer lasting scent. I make Friday my retro-scent day and Tabac is one of two clear favourites, Quorum being the other. If you like this Tabac, I think you'll like Quorum, too. Regarding the soap, well, I like it. I'm not big on soaps, but Tabac is one that I like. If you're struggling with it, say, getting a good lather, drop some glycerine into your lather bowl ... or a complimentary shaving cream. I'm not quite sure what it is that I like about Tabac soap, but I do like it.

I already have a hundred pack of the SI Polsilvers. But they are no match for the originals. Actually I fine them a tad rough on the skin. But it has been a while and I guess I need to refresh my memory and shave with it again.

Never heard of Quorom, I will have to check it out someday.
I wouldn't say I struggle with Tabac. I just don't like it very much and fail to understand the appeal. I guess it is mostly placebo since I like the Sir Irisch Moos stick. Better scent and better performance, which is crazy talk since it is the same soap :)

Each to their own, regarding Tabac. It does sound like you're happy with the aftershave, so enjoy that ... spend money on the things you like. One of my other hobbies is automotive detailing and there's a kind of guru there who has the tagline, "find something you like and use it often". It rings true for us here, too. Quorum is an old scent. I recall the adverts in the 1980s - it's deep, complex, smokey, yes, tobacco and masculine. It might be an age thing. I'm 40.

I can understand what you mean about the PolSilver Super Iridium. From memory, I tried one the day after I tried my present favourite blade, the SuperMax Blue Diamond. I think I regarded it as a little rough, but the second and subsequent shaves, it's a dream. Perhaps reserve breaking a new one in with a few days of growth, where I think the sharpness will mow down that growth without issue and without nicking the blade. Hand strop it and it'll be great for a few more shaves ... my present PolSilver Super Iridium has just done its fifth shave. Hand stropping is just a case of slicking the razor across a fleshy part of your hand to "strop" it - some blades seem to need it, others just seem to gain a longevity from it.

782sirbrian said:
Gillette NEW long comb British made
Sputnik (3)

Hi, pal ... these 'ere Sputniks I've seen you using ... where could I get a pack? Also, if you ever get fed up of that 'New' give me first refusal, eh? :D

CelticRoots said:
Gillette Tech, shim x3
Feather blade
Vulfix pure badger
Sir Irisch Moos Shaving Stick
Alum Block

Kept it simple today. It's the first time I've tried shimming and WOW! It made a massive difference.

Sooo aggressive. But not in a bad way. Very impressed with the results too. Although I did have 2 nicks for the first time in a long while.

Very impressed with the irisch moos aswell. Made by the same company as tabac I believe but now discontinued. Shame.

Triple shim, eh? That should have opened it up into the more aggressive end of the Merkur Progress. With a Feather on top, too. Slow and careful glide - sounds like you did okay. That kind of shave should have got you very close with one pass WTG, perhaps drop a couple of shims out for a quick XTG/ATG polish next time.

Glad you got on with the idea. It does seem to work for me, especially with milder razors. Remind me, what is your regular mower?

I must say it was an enjoyable shave. And yes, I probably should have taken 2 out to do my 2nd and 3rd pass in hindsight.

My regular is the tech. I've had a progress but just didn't particularly like it. Although I can say why :/ I ended up selling it in the BST.

I've got EJ DE89 on the way for Christmas. I think I prefer the milder razors personally. However with the new found knowledge of how to shim I'm happy to have the option of a more aggressive shave when the mood takes me. :)

I'm looking in to trying the gillette adjustables in the future when funds allow. But until then I'm more than content with what I'm using :D

How's your addiction to the shiney things going mate? Picked anything new up? I saw your new handles btw. Nice!

How's my addiction? VERY (un)healthy!!! It's not good when a popular eBay peddler lives about a mile away and almost constantly taunts me with shiny metal.

I've gained a very nice line of GEM and Ever Ready razors, all shave ready and good to go ... I had one good blade, but need to get some more in now. Single edge is very nice indeed. I have also started to put together a little obsession in ball end Gillettes. Now with a good number of shave ready examples, I'm spoiled for choice ... and they all work with my dream handle. That usable 'New' remains elusive though, so folks reading ... please scour your collections for an open comb 'New' that you'd love to send my way. Just the head ... just the comb ... I can work it into what I have, but I must have that (preferably British) 'New' open comb. I did bag a Parat for a song. Very pleased.

Yeah, back to mild razors. I'm with you, there ... couple with smooth razors and I'm a happy fellow. I have a "lived in" face, where sharp razors are not always the best idea. Smooth blades work well for me, permitting multiple passes without irritation. Shimming just turbo-charges them, giving a closer cut, so ... with, cross and against is now easily a with, then gentle against. I've just picked up a DE89 head (head only) which will work well with my new handle, I'm sure.

So, yes, don't discount the value in dropping out a shim or two for subsequent shaves next time ... all good to play with and find exactly what works out for you.

Shims are plentiful and readily available from old blades, but I wonder if someone here is good with fabrication and could make us up some plastic shims that don't go rusty? It's a thought ...

Monday 28th October

Brush: Omega 10810 (something like that!)
Cream: TOBS Rose
Razor: Schick L Type
Blade: Personna (4)

Oh dear. Second in as many shaves that's been pretty poor. Rough, a few weepers, and plenty of spots missed today. For the next few shaves I will be keeping it simple. Back to the EJ, on the standard handle, a nice blade like a Rapira Swede or Supermax Blue Diamond, maybe a Racer or Rainbow for smoothness, and either RSC Shave2 Cream or Arko, as both give fantastic lathers. Hopefully cutting back on swapping and changing will give me a chance to focus properly and improve my shave. I can't really pin it down to one thing. The lather felt great, plenty of it which is sometimes what I lack when using TOBS as I add too much water. Maybe I over compensated this time, and it was too dry, who knows? Back to basics for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom