Prep: Run, hot shower
Razor: R41 2013
Blade: Rapira Pink and Blue (1)
Brush: Duke 3 Best
Soap: Lea shave stick
A/S: Floid "The Original"
Balm: Truefit and Hill sample
Cologne/Edt Floris JF

All was well, 3 passes WTG, XTG nose to ear, XTG ear to nose. Decided on an ATG and having been uneveventful so far, took my eye off the ball. "Ouch" a deep nick under my bottom lip. Couldn't find the Alum as I have not used or needed it since January.

Floid let me know that the shave was pretty comfortable elsewhere though. Certainly a razor and blade capable of a BBS shave in comfort, IF you concentrate!

Another lesson learnt!

Have a good evening chaps.....

english gillette new
polsilver super iridium
muhle silvertip fibre
razorock cumba cheech shaving soap
old spice fresh lime AS
montana parfum d'homme edt

excellent shave. im seriously impressed every time i use the gillette new, a great razor.

782sirbrian said:
Monday 16th September

SOTD16913_zpse3a80aa5.jpg

Warm shower
Hot flannel
TOBS Rose cream bowl lathered
Simpson 56 best badger brush
Gillette 1920's single ring
Sputnik (2)
Cold rinse
Thayers lavender witch hazel
Myrsol F/extra aftershave

Greetings Brian,

That's a lovely old razor, I particularly like how thin and 'neat' the head is on these 'olds' compared to the fatter less wieldy heads on T.T.O. razors and modern adjustables.

Regards
Dick

Greetings Dick
The single rings are a razor I'm drawn to by the history of them being the earliest razors from Gillette except the elusive double rings. They are well north of my comfort zone sadly :icon_sad:
I seem to have grown a collection of six single rings now :blush:
Time for you to give yours a spin ?
Regards Brian

MONDAY EVENING

Razor: Gillette Aristocrat Jr
Blade: Rapira Swedish Supersteel
Brush: Semogue OC cherry wood boar
Soap: Nanny's Citrus Zinger\Klar Kabinett - suribachi lathered
Balm: GFT Sandalwood skin food

Managed a BBS tonight with this superb setup.

Big thanks must go to K for gifting and Jaycey for shipping this skinfood to me. Haven't used any for a year and a half and it's confirmed that this is my favourite balm. When my others run out I will buy Bulldog for travelling and GFT for luxury.

Today I had my first shave with the CJB razor. I have been wanting to get my hands on this razor for a while now, so when the opportunity presented its self I jumped and bought a CJB along with 20 Feather Professional blades. when it came in this afternoon I was all smiles. I really like this razor, but mine has an issue. When I pinch the head the back half (toward the handle) opens nicely, but the front does not open properly. This makes loading/unloading a blade difficult. I noticed that the gap in the top is slightly uneven and I'm pretty sure this is causing the issue. I'm not sure if this is caused by an uneven spring or an improperly shaped head, but it is a serious annoyance. Other than that, I'm really pleased with this razor.

I started off with some Shave Secret as a preshave, lathered up GFT Almond cream with my mixed loft boar/badger brush, and did a two and a half pass (wtg/atg and xtg on my neck for clean up) shave using the CJB and a Feather Professional blade. I finished up with some SAL Alum and Simpson's After Shave Balm. The result was a DFS with zero nicks and mild irritation on my neck. I had the same issue that I always have with a straight razor: getting the proper angle to go atg on my neck. Other than that, the CJB was extremely easy to use. I like the weight and maneuverability, and in spite of the warnings I found the Feather blades to be no more dangerous than Fromm hair shaper blades (which I was surprised to discover are longer and heavier than Feather Professional blades). The Trumper Almond was slick and smelled great and the Simpson's ASB was an extremely nice finish. I look forward to getting to know this razor better.

Pre: Hot shower, warm water splash, and Shave Secret
Razor: CJB
Blade: Feather Professional
Brush: Mixed loft boar/badger
Soap: Geo F. Trumper Almond cream

esu2are4.jpg

Greetings

Tuesday 17th September 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick L1 Injector
Blade: Gillette Platinum Plus NOS
Brush: Omega 39 Boar
Soap: Cella
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

An ultra close shave but at a price... three small weepers and a tiny bit of tenderness on my neck. These blades which were given to me buy an extremely kind member are just so sharp and unforgiving despite the fact that I used it in my mildest injector.

I suspect the second and subsequent shaves with this blade will be a little more forgiving.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04630.JPG

Tuesday:

Morning, all.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: Nanjie
Blade: Dorco (4)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave cream: Super Max
A/S: Pashana Bay Rum
Cologne: Giorgio for Men

Problem-free BBS.

Monday evening

Prep : Clinique face soap
Razor : Merkur Progress XL
Blade : Big Ben
Brush : Simpsons Chubby 2
Soap : Proraso green tub
Post shave : Proraso Splash

Really excellent shave. first time I've used the Big Ben blade, left over from a Lord sample pack from Connaught.

As much as I've enjoyed using the Ikon Deluxe over the last 2 weeks, it's no Progress. Appreciate this razor even more when you come back to it.

Tuesday xvii September, 2013

Prep: Shower, Shea butter Savon de Provence
Pre: Cold water splash
Brush: Rubberset 400-3 with original boar knot
Soap: Palmolive / La Toja shave sticks grated and blended
Razor: Ikon 2pb
Blade: Personna Lab Blue #1

Result: Interesting. First time I have not used either of my Digresses in a while. The Ikon 2pb is a lovely looking, weighty tool, but didn't provide as good as shave for me as the Digress. The boar knot didn't seem to work its alchemy on the Palmolive/La Toja soap eithrer, so will revisit tomorrow with the Frank Shaving Pur-tech synthetic.

All the best,

Jon

Back
Top Bottom