S.O.T.D Sat. 12th Oct. to Frid. 18th Oct. 2013

Cold rinse and proraso pre
Mama Bear's "Dragon's Blood"
Vulfix bodger
Feather AC SS
Pro-Guard blade
Cold rinse
Bebak AS moisturiser

Hadn't had a cold shave for a couple of weeks and wasn't looking forward to it, I never do. But once you get the first pass done and your face adjusts to it it's wonderful. Loving the Dragon's Blood just now, really good scent and a good lather. Tends to leave my face a bit dry afterwards but nothing that a spot of Bebak can't sort out.
3 shaves in a row with the Feather now and I intend to keep going for another couple of weeks at least, I was forgetting how good it was as I have acquired so many razors over the last few weeks it hasn't been getting it's fare share of face time.
One very small nick tonight on top of an old spot but soon stopped after the cold rinse, nice, clean and refreshing shave after a shite day at work, not quite BBS but damn fine nonetheless :)

Prep:
Hot shower, soaked brush, soaked soap

Razor:
Merkur Progress (Setting 3)

Blade:
Gillette 7 O'Clock Black

Brush:
New Forest 2403 Super Badger Two Band

Soap:
Barrister & Man (Bowl Lathered)

Post Shave:
Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm
TOBS Victorian Limes

IMG_3328.JPG

Beck's
Hot Towels
Olive Oil Blend PSO*
Palmolive Shaving Cream
Pure Badger Brush
Gillette Parat
Wilkinson Sword [2]
Witch Hazel Blend Toner**

* 75% Olive Oil15% Avocado Oil 5% Coconut Oil 5% Glycerine, Squeeze Lime, Lemon & Grapefruit Juices

** 85% Witch Hazel 10% Gin 5% Glycerine, 10 Drops Olbas Oil

Three Pass - WTG, XTG & ATG

Once again, thank you to the kind gent who sent me three vintage razors to try. Last night was the Gillette Super Speed (Red Tip), tonight the Gillette Parat which, aesthetically, I prefer to the Super Speed and in action very much along the same lines. I think the Super Speed pips it with the balance of the weight, but it's a very close run.

So, tonight ...

Hot towels, my olive oil based pre-shave oil and I tried out a new tube of Palmolive Shaving Cream. I had performed a lather test before and thought it good, applied to my face and I got an uneasy tingling. Pressing on, it became less of an issue as I shaved. I didn't enjoy it as much as the Ingram's so far, but it was a good experience.

My blade of choice was a Wilkinson Sword. Used once before and hand stropped it felt very nice in this razor. Not silent, but actually not far off. I thought the angle very easy to find and the razor very forgiving.

I got two nicks, the same place, symmetrically on my face. I know what I did. I know how to avoid it.

You know, I would almost say this was a baby smooth shave! It's way past a pretty good shave, that's for sure and and has surpassed that damn fine shave. It's very close and very smooth. No irritation at all and no feeling of dryness - I put this down to the pre-shave oil, perhaps the aftershave toner and an improving technique; not to mention an improving face now that all my cartridge shaving issues have cleared up and I've had a good number of absolutely trouble-free shaves.

Great fun! Great shave!

Cheers, all.

UKRob said:
That 'far too much pressure' is a surprise and explains why you were still getting nicks when your amount of use should have been passed that point.

Have you tried a decent straight yet? They are a lot more forgiving than Feather blades. If you want, send me a pm and I'll loan you one that I know is a good shaver.

I know! It was very odd. I had a 'hallelujah' moment and it just clicked.

Thank you for your very generous offer but if I go down the straight route I know I'm going to get hooked so I'll pass for the time being!

TUESDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Feather Artist Club SS
Blade: Feather Proguard
Brush: Simpson Tulip 2 Super
Soap: Institute Karite - bowl lathered

Another damn fine shave. This soap is very moisturising, but I don't think it provides the same cushioning and slip as Tabac or Sir Irisich Moos.

Had to do some buffing at the end to clear some stubble I'd missed but only one weeper on the chin so the featherlight touch is definitely what I've been missing.

EJ DE87
7 o'clock yellow
NF 2221 mountain badger
TOBS Eton College
C&E Sienna balm

a few days growth easily removed and a nice clean shave. NF 2221 is a very soft brush, which I haven't used for a while, great for lathering creams.

Good morning friends! :)

PREP: Proraso Preshave Cream
BRUSH: 23mm Shavemac, Finest Badger ("Gut-rasiert" forum shaving brush 2011)
SOAP/CREAM: Jabonman - Brisa de Oriente
SCUTTLE/BOWL: Fitjar Lathering Up Shaving Bowl
RAZOR: iKon Regular + Gillette Silver Blue Stainless
SHAVE: 2 passes, WTG/XTG
AS: J&E Atkinson's I COLONIALI, Soothing Aftershave Emulsion with Rhubarb
RESULT: Very clean shave

SOTD_ikon3_B_zpsf8e70dd4.jpg

Have a nice day,
Béla​

Greetings

Thursday 17th October 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick 66 (G4) Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Semogue 620
Soap: Tabac Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Super close easy shave.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04758.JPG

Eiko YSK.2 full hollow 13/16
Kanayama cordovan #8000
Semogue OC special Boar & Badger mix
Mitchell's wool fat
Witch hazel
Kiehl's aftershave balm
Tom Ford black orchid Eau de parfum

A very smooth shave from this lovely Japanese beauty.

Wednesday Evening

Prep : Clinique face soap
Razor : Merkur Progress XL
Blade : Gillette Silver Blue
Brush : Simpsons Chubby 2
Soap : Proraso gren tub
Post Shave : Proraso AS

Have to have a Proraso shave at least once a week.

Great shave, really starting to like the silver blue blades in the Progress as well. Smooth and effortless. My packs were freebies with razor purchases but I may need to get a bulk buy of these.

Thursday:

Afternoon, gents.

Prep: Claus Porto's Lime-oil face soap
Razor: EJ DE89 with Bulldog handle
Blade: 7 o'clock green (13)
Brush: Ecotools Kabuki
Shave soap: Pamolive
A/S: Dévotion

Smooth, easy, and no irritation.

Thursday 10-17-13. MUSIC: Van der Graaf Generator - H to He, Who Am the Only One .

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQR6e_wpeiY[/video]

0670d22f-3bbe-44cd-9fe1-11344309abf5.jpg

Soap from Aleppo - Morris & Forndran Blonde Badger 28X56 - Feather all stainless - Gillette 7 O'clock yellow #3 - Pre JASÖN - Shaving cream Castle Forbes Lime - Alum block - Thayers Original Astringent - ASB Castle Forbes Lime - ASL Honeybee Gardens Key Lime.

Gillette New #88
Polsilver Super Iridium (3)
Semogue SOC boar
Valobra Sapone per barba

Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet

Strike day. I should have gone up to a demo but I'm too tired to face the journey. I was up until midnight marking. So, rather than sticking it to the man, I'm doing 'jobs': replacing a front headlight bulb, banking, getting to the Post Office etc. I have a stack of marking guilt-tripping me on the dining room table but I refuse to do it today. It'd be irrational to when I'm losing a day's pay today. Oh well - there's always the weekend to do it.

(Sorry if anyone's day is messed about by the teacher strike, by the way.)

Thursday 17th October

SOTD171013_zps6851ef26.jpg

Hot shower
Hot flannel
TOBS Lavender cream scuttle lathered
Simpson 59 best badger brush
Gillette Old type ball end handle
Lord Platinum (1)
Cold rinse
Thayers Lavender witch hazel
Speick aftershave

A smooth comfortable shave from the Lord blade.
The Old type has been restored from just about scrap condition. When I got it a few months ago the handle wouldn't screw on to the head. The threads were worn out, it just pushed over the post on the head.
I took the sorry looking razor to my retired engineer friend Les. He made a replica threaded end for the handle. Instead of making it a press fit to the handle tube he threaded the tube and brass end 40 threads per inch. He put a spot of Loctite thread lock on to make sure it never unscrewed its self from the tube. The razor was mechanically good and the handle screwed to the head just lovely, better I dare say than new. I sent the razor to Restored razors for re plating in silver as original. I owed it to Les to make a job of it as he'd kindly done the repair. One razor I won't part with.

Prep: Cold water
Soap: Klar Kabinett
Brush: Shavemac 177 Silvertip
razor: Weber POL/Bulldog
Blade: Sputnik (1)
EdT: Lalique Hommage a l'Homme

Comfortable shave and it looks as if BT may have finally cracked my intermittent internet problem, so all in all not a bad day :)

Back
Top Bottom