S.O.T.D Sat. 12th Oct. to Frid. 18th Oct. 2013

Liz Earle C&P
Liz Earle Shave Cream
EJ Best
Vie-Long 1000R
Astra Green
Liz Earle ASB
M&S Nero.

First go with this razor found it very very light. Not used an Astra for a long time
Nice and sharp but not as nice as the Treet I normally use also forgot about all
The gunk on the blade! Not a bad shave but will try a Treet blade next time.

Thanks yet again to the kind gent who has leant me a small selection of vintage Gillettes to try. Tonight, the 'New' Open Comb #77 ... after one day of growth following a baby smooth shave.

Am I mad? Possibly ...

Hot Towels
Olive Oil Blend PSO
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger Brush
Gillette 'New' Open Comb #77
PolSilver Super Iridium [3]
Alum Block
Tabac Aftershave Lotion

What a fun shave! After getting such a great shave last night, I did hesitate at using what is reputed to be such a beast on only one day's growth, but it occurred to me ...

Gents back in those days shaved daily ... with those razors ... I've seen 'Jeeves & Wooster' ...

So, why not? Picking a PolSilver Super Iridium, I proceeded.

Smooth as she goes ...

This razor was not quite as clean as the others and I was a little concerned at using it, so with the owner's permission I cleaned it up. Soak in vinegar and then a gentle scrub with toothpaste. I concentrated on the comb, which came up very nicely indeed:

DSC03741.JPG

DSC03740.JPG

Three pass - WTG, XTG and ATG to clean up.

No nicks, weepers or other issues, just a good, clean shave taking the day's growth back to smooth. I am starting to think that the olive oil PSO really is contributing. No sensation of irritation, although I have a small patch on my neck that is more red than the surrounding area. It'll settle down overnight, I'm sure. Maybe I missed it with the alum.

Tabac Aftershave Lotion was a great choice. I'll splash on some Tabac Eau de Cologne in the morning for Tabac Friday.

The razor? Well, yes, I liked it. I found the angle easy to get right and thought it intuitive to use. It was neither as aggressive an experience as I had been led to believe nor "all that". I enjoyed it, but I think I preferred the Parat last night. Down to the blade, perhaps, being its third run. Maybe over the weekend, I'll try again switching blades.

Cheers, all.

THURSDAY EVENING

Prep: Hot rinse
Razor: Aristocrat Jr
Blade: Super Iridium
Brush: Simpson Tulip 2 Super
Soap: Institute Karite - bowl lathered

The last couple of nights have made me realise I have been using far too much pressure for far too long! Went with a featherlight touch tonight and, again, really noticed the difference.

I hear you ... I had an absolutely terrible shave the other day with a light razor and realised it was all me just pressing too hard. I've used that razor since to catch a few stragglers after shaving and it's been absolutely fine. Light touch. I'll try that razor again sometime.

I did think I was a long handle kind of guy, but having used some regular sized handled razors over the last few days holding gently on the tip and letting the head do all the work, I think I might change my initial view on handle length.

pjgh said:
I hear you ... I had an absolutely terrible shave the other day with a light razor and realised it was all me just pressing too hard. I've used that razor since to catch a few stragglers after shaving and it's been absolutely fine. Light touch. I'll try that razor again sometime.

I did think I was a long handle kind of guy, but having used some regular sized handled razors over the last few days holding gently on the tip and letting the head do all the work, I think I might change my initial view on handle length.

I'd just fallen into a pattern of (subconsciously) using too much pressure and putting up with the resultant nicks.

Using a straight made me realise it, and my shaves have been much better since. You really need no pressure at all, and let the razor do the work. It's one of the basics of DE, SE and straight shaving and I'd just become overconfident.

Overconfident, indeed. In my example, I had "slap marks" on my lower neck where I'd literally slapped the razor against my skin and drawn upwards. What a mess! Since then, I've taken shaving as a considered hobby - I have to shave, but I can choose to enjoy it, to lock myself away for half an hour and enjoy that close concentration and relaxation. It is as therapeutic as it is satisfying.

If a job is worth doing well, it's worth spending some time ...

Savour, I think is the right word. Rush, and you're not savouring.

Friday xviii October, 2013

Pre: Shower, Kiehl's Energizing Facial Fuel Wash
Prep: Cold water splash
Brush: Neep Custom '67 Threepenny bit
Soap: MWF
Razor: Digress HD
Blade: Feather Seikan #2 / Personna Lab Blue #1
Post: Homebrew Lemon Tea Tree Menthol WH, Institut Karité

Result: I gave the Seikan a stay of execution and used it on pass #1, but had to swap it out for subsequent passes. Tuggy, rough and just plain poor. The Personna Lab validated my thinking as it was as smooth as the Seikan was rough. A lesson learnt.

Happy POETS day, gents.

Jon

Friday morning:

Kropp 11/16"
Custom Finest Badger (TGN)-Omega Handle
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood soap
Face Lather
Neil Miller-2.5" Latigo Leather
Taylor of Old Bond Street, Sandalwood ASL
WTG, XTG & ATG (neck)

Have a nice day!

%25CE%2591%25CE%25BD%25CF%2584%25CE%25AF%25CE%25B3%25CF%2581%25CE%25B1%25CF%2586%25CE%25BF+%25CE%25B1%25CF%2580%25CF%258C+SOTD-18-10-2013-1.JPG

Prep: Hot shower
Pre: Proraso preshave - sensitive
Soap: NSS Cedarwood & Vetyver (hard)
Bowl: Woodhead Scuttle #1B
Brush: MÜHLE Kosmo silvertip synthetic
Razor: Ikon #101 head + Weber Bulldog handle
Blade: Gillette 7 o'clock yellow (3) + shim
After: Old Spice AS, St. James post-shave gel

Managed a decent lather today. This soap is one of my most difficult. I think it's mainly due to the hard water, but I find that if I load my synthetic brush more than usual I can get good results. From my experience a natural brush soaks up too much of the soap and causes the lather to collapse toward the end of the shave.
The Cedarwood and Vetyver stays in your nose for an hour after shaving, fab.

Not sure about the #101 razor head. I can't really see the point of having an open and a closed comb on one razor, especially as they shave the same. Very comfortable to use and gives decent DFS (almost BBS) results (with a shim) but I find my Progress and Weber are more interesting to use and give better results.

Nearly the weekend, folks.

Note: I've left the lid off the soap so you can get a wiff.
SOTD20131018_zps9b45cae7.jpg

Greetings

Friday 18th November 2013
Prep: Shower
Razor: Schick I1 Injector
Blade: Personna Stainless Coated
Brush: Frank shaving Pur-Tech
Soap: Lea Stick grated
Aftershave: Astral Cream (light)

Superb shave. I still remain unsure about this brush.

Regards
Dick.

DSC04760.JPG

pjgh said:
Thanks yet again to the kind gent who has leant me a small selection of vintage Gillettes to try. Tonight, the 'New' Open Comb #77 ... after one day of growth following a baby smooth shave.

Am I mad? Possibly ...

Hot Towels
Olive Oil Blend PSO
Ingram's Shaving Cream
Pure Badger Brush
Gillette 'New' Open Comb #77
PolSilver Super Iridium [3]
Alum Block
Tabac Aftershave Lotion

What a fun shave! After getting such a great shave last night, I did hesitate at using what is reputed to be such a beast on only one day's growth, but it occurred to me ...

Gents back in those days shaved daily ... with those razors ... I've seen 'Jeeves & Wooster' ...

So, why not? Picking a PolSilver Super Iridium, I proceeded.

Smooth as she goes ...

This razor was not quite as clean as the others and I was a little concerned at using it, so with the owner's permission I cleaned it up. Soak in vinegar and then a gentle scrub with toothpaste. I concentrated on the comb, which came up very nicely indeed:

DSC03741.JPG

DSC03740.JPG

Three pass - WTG, XTG and ATG to clean up.

No nicks, weepers or other issues, just a good, clean shave taking the day's growth back to smooth. I am starting to think that the olive oil PSO really is contributing. No sensation of irritation, although I have a small patch on my neck that is more red than the surrounding area. It'll settle down overnight, I'm sure. Maybe I missed it with the alum.

Tabac Aftershave Lotion was a great choice. I'll splash on some Tabac Eau de Cologne in the morning for Tabac Friday.

The razor? Well, yes, I liked it. I found the angle easy to get right and thought it intuitive to use. It was neither as aggressive an experience as I had been led to believe nor "all that". I enjoyed it, but I think I preferred the Parat last night. Down to the blade, perhaps, being its third run. Maybe over the weekend, I'll try again switching blades.

Cheers, all.

The 77/88 are a lovely razor one of my favourite open combs. Not a massively aggressive razor just right for me easy to use. Glad you're enjoying the vintage Gillettes so many to choose from though :icon_rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom