Closed Pass Around: Mongoose (Completed)

After using the mongoose for a week I must say it's a very good razor and I could certainly find room in my shave den for one. With the mild blade it's very comfy to use but the razor comes to life with the feather sharp blades.

I collect various razors and use them all regularly. Depending on my mood I use modern and vintage straights or Gillette adjustable slim or fat boy and also use gem and every ready single edge so this poses the question would I buy a mongoose myself this I'm not sure as for the cost of a mongoose I could get another Dovo straight to add to the collection and that would be more of a temptation to me

Early impressions. Quite different to any SE I've used . That huge blade covers a lot of skin! Felt a little unwieldy at times but I guess that can be overcome with practice. Very, very smooth shave. I used a Feather Pro blade. Not an aggressive razor by any means but I ended up with a similar face feel and regrowth to my R41. I shaved 12 hours ago and my face still has that just shaved feel with very little regrowth. Superb. I think I'll pair it with my Ikon Bulldog for the next shave to see how it compares. A shame the Mongoose is so expensive.

How much have folk paid for them in the UK taking into account import duties?

Second shave today, four days growth and a massive hangover. Used the Ikon Bulldog handle. Effortless three pass BBS shave. They certainly got the design spot on with the Mongoose. Feels very mild to me but the results are a very close shave. Wonderful razor.

How much have folk paid for them in the UK taking into account import duties?
Mine didn't get hit with any import duty, but here's the pricing index that was sent out with the original email for the Batch-2 release.
ORDERING INFORMATION
To simplify ordering, please use the format below:

M1-Mirror Polished - Dub Slim, Standard-$149
M2-Mirror Polished - Dub Legend, Upgrade-$179
M3-Mirror Polished - Full Set (both handles)-$189
M4-Mirror Polished - Head Only-$119
S1-Satin Finish - Dr. Bomber, Standard-$149
S2-Satin Finish - Big Bomber Upgrade-$179
S3-Satin Finish - Full Set (both handles)-$189
S4-Satin Finish - Head Only-$119
A1-Dub Slim Add-On-$40
A2-Dub Legend Add-On-$45
A3-Dr. Bomber Add-On-$40
A4-Big Bomber Add-On-$45

Thanks Erik. Perhaps I'll put it on my Christmas list. Enjoyed my time with Mongoose. It will be in its way to Omp this week.

I shaved with the R41 today and I must have been in Mongoose mode as I ended up with a few knicks. It's frightening how quickly you become accustomed to the smooth and easy going nature of the Mongoose and I'd quickly forgotten how careful I need to be with the R41!

Interesting how different the two feel on the face and yet the Mongoose gave me just as good a shave without the intense concentration needed with the R41. I love both razors, but it would be nice to have a more relaxing razor like the Mongoose for those days when I don't feel like being too alert.

Ouch!
Well that didn't go quite as planned. I think I combined a lack of respect, wrong angle and inability to guide such a heavy razor around my face with disastrous consequences.
I took quite a sliver off my chin and had a few more nicks and weepers around the same area.
I didn't even make it past the first pass :(
It's fair to say I have not been chosen by the 'Goose
Thanks to Erik for giving me the chance to find this out without the added humiliation of being £100+ down on the experience!

Oh dear. I hope my comments didn't lull you into a false sense of security! Give it another go in a few days. I only used the stock handle once as I found it too heavy. For the next three shaves I used my Ikon Bulldog. Perhaps try pairing it with a lighter handle.

Back
Top Bottom