Newbie requires some straight talking...

I think it will either be a Billy Gold Dollar or an unseen vintage from Whipped Dog in the US. I don't want to spend any more than £50 at the moment. I emailed that Pete guy but not heard back yet. Here is a message from Billy after emailing on ebay: encouraging. If I bought one I would need a strop and all of Pete's are gone.

"Hello Matthew, All the razors I sell are shave ready. Genuine Gold Dollars 66s razors are made of fine grained carbon steel. They take more time and work than most razor honing services are willing to commit too and most amateurs are capable of. I only sell razors that will take an edge and hold it. The Dodo razor has a finer blade out of the box and is made of Swedish steel. Neither the Dovo or the Gold dollar come shave ready out of the box, I take a lot of time to set hone and strop your razor so it has the best possible edge. I regularly shave with a Gold Dollar razor and always enjoy the experience, they have a heavier blade than the Dovo and are a good transition from a shavette. I must say I have little or nothing to do with forums, if Gold Dollar razors have a bad reputation on them it may be because they have not been set properly. It takes an experienced hand to set and refine the edge of a Gold Dollar. The Dovo is much easier to prepare for use, when bought from me both are capable of giving a very fine shave."

I think it will either be a Billy Gold Dollar or an unseen vintage from Whipped Dog in the US. I don't want to spend any more than £50 at the moment. I emailed that Pete guy but not heard back yet. Here is a message from Billy after emailing on ebay: encouraging. If I bought one I would need a strop and all of Pete's are gone.

"Hello Matthew, All the razors I sell are shave ready. Genuine Gold Dollars 66s razors are made of fine grained carbon steel. They take more time and work than most razor honing services are willing to commit too and most amateurs are capable of. I only sell razors that will take an edge and hold it. The Dodo razor has a finer blade out of the box and is made of Swedish steel. Neither the Dovo or the Gold dollar come shave ready out of the box, I take a lot of time to set hone and strop your razor so it has the best possible edge. I regularly shave with a Gold Dollar razor and always enjoy the experience, they have a heavier blade than the Dovo and are a good transition from a shavette. I must say I have little or nothing to do with forums, if Gold Dollar razors have a bad reputation on them it may be because they have not been set properly. It takes an experienced hand to set and refine the edge of a Gold Dollar. The Dovo is much easier to prepare for use, when bought from me both are capable of giving a very fine shave."
Says it all.

Billy has Summed Up the Gold Dollar & Current Dovo Situation Well..:)

Billy

I always enjoy shaving with my gold dollar 208, it's got a nice weight to it, I am considering re scaling it, because the scales are kind of cheap looking,

Proper shave ready it's definitely a good first straight razor,

I also bought mine from a bloke called Billy, I think the Billy I bought from is much further north though.

I always enjoy shaving with my gold dollar 208, it's got a nice weight to it, I am considering re scaling it, because the scales are kind of cheap looking,

Proper shave ready it's definitely a good first straight razor,

I also bought mine from a bloke called Billy, I think the Billy I bought from is much further north though

North of the Wall..:D

Billy

As much as I like my old man Billy Gold Dollar 208, 8 weeks in, after being convinced that SR shaving is not just possible but also enjoyable, it has been benched, not pretty or sexy enough to make the rotation, still a super way to get the feel for SR shaving without breaking the piggy bank.

Last edited:
Ok done a deal with Peter: near immaculate 1930s "Osgar" 6/8 Sheffield razor and a paddle strop kit for £65. Much more than I really wanted to pay but he says the razor will give me super smooth shaves, is of top quality steel and he will guarantee it for life and give full support and advice. He seems a good choice and says I probably won't ever need another straight with this thing. Whipped Dog in America once you threw in his "poor man's strop" was similar price and that is for an unseen razor and with potential customs charges.

It works out cheaper than the SE Colonial razor I was going to buy though at $50 with the Artist Club blsdes another £20 on top of that. As I say it is not really buying for sake of it. a DE is fine on my face but still picking up some irritation on the neck which vanished with "oh so careful" shaving with a shavette. I think the fear factor means you use a light touch where a DE you still tempted to push, though the heavy Parker 24C I got is better than the Edwin Jagger in that respect.

Ok no more money on shaving stuff now. Thee DE razors, three soaps and one straight. That will do me.

Ok done a deal with Peter: near immaculate 1930s "Osgar" 6/8 Sheffield razor and a paddle strop kit for £65. Much more than I really wanted to pay but he says the razor will give me super smooth shaves, is of top quality steel and he will guarantee it for life and give full support and advice. He seems a good choice and says I probably won't ever need another straight with this thing. Whipped Dog in America once you threw in his "poor man's strop" was similar price and that is for an unseen razor and with potential customs charges.

It works out cheaper than the SE Colonial razor I was going to buy though at $50 with the Artist Club blsdes another £20 on top of that. As I say it is not really buying for sake of it. a DE is fine on my face but still picking up some irritation on the neck which vanished with "oh so careful" shaving with a shavette. I think the fear factor means you use a light touch where a DE you still tempted to push, though the heavy Parker 24C I got is better than the Edwin Jagger in that respect.

Ok no more money on shaving stuff now. Thee DE razors, three soaps and one straight. That will do me.
Well done, sounds like a great deal you've got there, you can't go wrong with an old Sheffield razor and 6/8 is a good size. I love your parting word's though..... "ok no more money on shaving stuff now"......made me smile :)

Good choice.

As much as I like my old man Billy Gold Dollar 208, 8 weeks in, after being convinced that SR shaving is not just possible but also enjoyable, it has been benched, not pretty or sexy enough to make the rotation, still a super way to get the feel for SR shaving without breaking the piggy bank.
Keep hold of it & maybe sell it to someone looking for a first starter razor.Or you could have it customised?

Back
Top Bottom