Newbie requires some straight talking...

More from the lottery buying straight from China: bought a Titan razor, cheapest model, arrived in perfect shape, shave ready after stropping, been using it for about ten weeks now, so Hey! why not buy a second Titan razor, more expensive this time in better steel, twice as good? Nope! very shiny Yes! but a wobbly blade, wobbly spine, wobbly edge, not centered in scales by a mile actually landing bang on the right scale, oh well, you can't win them all...
Fair enough but Billy from Cornwall's are all shave ready so it's no lottery

The lottery is of course all about buying factory fresh untouched razors from China, from Aliexpress et al as opposed to the safe bet of buying shave ready modded razors from old man Billy in Cornwall :)

Last edited:
Get a nice vintage one from Billy,the guy who you have been talking about.GD are ok for starting out I guess but you can't beat a nice vintage razor.Peter,the guy who fergiebilly bought his strop from is the guy to buy from.Again,just like Billy,he's been into straight razors for decades.My top recommendation would be these two Gents.Jack

I will give him a look but I will need a spare £90 or so :( Billy as one listed as a "Bid" at £25 but I bid up to £30 and it still keeps saying outbid. When I checked the bidding history it said something like "private bidder" in grey which seemed a bit odd. I'll drop him a PM and that Pete guy at some point.

I will give him a look but I will need a spare £90 or so :( Billy as one listed as a "Bid" at £25 but I bid up to £30 and it still keeps saying outbid. When I checked the bidding history it said something like "private bidder" in grey which seemed a bit odd. I'll drop him a PM and that Pete guy at some point.
It's been a long time since I bid on ebay but from what I remember you can enter the highest price you will pay & it will automatically bid on your behalf.So someone will have a maximum set amount they are willing to spend on it.Im getting the wade and butcher bug again but can't find owt :(

To save yourself the stress of looking for/bidding on a nice vintage in the meantime you could always get one of his GD razors.it would get you started & wouldn't break the bank.after a few weeks maybe look again for something else.Don't tell peter about the GD because he hates them lol

Ha Ha too late I texted him asking for prices and said if too expensive I will buy a Billy modified GD and one of his strops lol. What would Pete charge for a decent razor? I saw a guy called "Whipped Dog" in the US who has a good reputation with Nickshaves offering sight unseen but fully guaranteed razors for $43 which does not seem too bad. I may go down the GD route or save for one of his new Dovos at £88 which look proper "last a lifetime" quality. I am a little fussy about steel quality because, though I don't straight shave, I know good steel from using tools and I know it is a false economy to scrimp on tools you use for a job so it stands true 100 times for something you will take to your face!

T
Ha Ha what would Pete charge for a decent razor? I saw a guy called "Whipped Dog" in the US who has a good reputation with Nickshaves offering sight unseen but fully guaranteed razors for $43 which does not seem too bad. I guess I will forget a straight until I can buy something decent. I think a GD will probably work out more expensive if it is a crap as people say compared to something of quality for say £88 which he charges for his new Dovos which look the business.
There is a very good chance Peter will have a few vintage razors for sale.He would probably do you a nice deal.Whipped dog.heard of,but never bought from.Fair enough re GD.don't blame you,but they are better than nothing.:)

From what I remember Peter is very fair with prices & never over charges for vintage razors.It's very worth while asking because I bet he will be glad to help.:)

It's all cool Definitely interested just doing my research is all :) I know where you are Jack. I ended up here on this forum as looking for the most comfortable irritation free shave I can get because i have sensitive skin!DEs are brilliant and they are my daily shave now but the quest goes on, especially on neck area!

Back
Top Bottom