Newbie requires some straight talking...

It's all cool Definitely interested just doing my research is all :) I know where you are Jack. I ended up here on this forum as looking for the most comfortable irritation free shave I can get because i have sensitive skin!DEs are brilliant and they are my daily shave now but the quest goes on, especially on neck area!
Sensitive skin.Tell me about it lol

In the beginning keep it simple, get a Gold Dollar from old man Billy, the one with checkered scales for 20-22 pounds, plus an inexpensive strop, you will nick it and ruin it, watch this video by Lynn Abrams a couple of times and you are good to go, if you are hooked turn page and it is another story that will fill your cabinet and empty your account.

Last edited:
In the beginning keep it simple, get a Gold Dollar from old man Billy, the one with checkered scales for 20-22 pounds, plus an inexpensive strop, you will nick it and ruin it, watch this video by Lynn Abrams a couple of times and you are good to go, if you are hooked turn page and it is another story that will fill your cabinet and empty your account.

Fill your cabinet & empty your account haha yeah VERY true.

This video gets posted and recommend to watch a lot.
I've tried to watch it a couple of times but had to turn it off. The constant running water really gets on my nerves.

Specifically about getting a first razor. I had a shave with the passaround box Sanguine shavette yesterday to get a feel for holding scales and it was not as monstrous as I thought. I have got dibs on a straight from an ATG passaround but would like recommendations on a beginner razor or strop. As may make the investment before too long.I have read terrible things on nearly all forums about Chinese Gold Dollars but I see there is an old guy in Cornwall who sells them after carrying out some remedial work on them. However my question is this. Is the steel of sufficiently high quality to be able to be re-honed? This will probably be the case as I am no expert in honing. Many honers websites specifically state that they will not hone these purely because they can't take an edge so could not be justified in taking people's money. Would he re-hone a GD for you?Should I save up and pay £90 for one of his classic Dovos? Are there any other relutable dealers out there and what about a strop? Can they be gained cheaply? Do you use them on their own or does one have to use a compound as well?
Could you perhaps point me in the direction of this chap billy who reworks GD, I've got an itch for a straight razor and I fear I may need to scratch it soon.
Cheers buddy
Btw I put that sanguine shavette in the passaround, I'm glad it's getting some love.

Back
Top Bottom